Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 134676 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #1290 on: June 17, 2010, 07:32:37 pm »

Remember, the go was to get someone that town doesn't want to work with very much, as well as making his/her life more difficult. I say either:
alien, dopp, psytown
or alien, dopp, town, psy/ms town

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: September 07, 2010, 04:15:59 am »

Random idea for a Cutting Edge Scientist invention.

EMP Generator
Night action, affects one target player

Fires off an ElectroMagnetic Pulse (EMP) that knocks out all advanced technology the target may own. Most roles are fairly low tech and won't notice or care, but Scientists and Aliens will find themselves without their precious tools temporarily. When it goes off that night, affected Scientists lose their inventions and get roleblocked if they tried to use one although 1-shot items are not used up. Meanwhile, targeted Aliens lose all inventions AND actions and get roleblocked that night no matter what they tried to do, although again, any 1-shot items or actions they may have tried to use are not used up. To regain their actions and inventions, affected individuals must spend 2 nights fixing their invention/ship (no, you aren't fixing your invention the night it gets EMP'd). Only inventions receiving power care about having a power surge, so broken, already EMP'd, or used 1-shot inventions do not generate messages or get broken when an EMP goes off. Because of the diagnostic nature of repair work, nights spent fixing will have the outward goal of "Find".

All inventions are affected, including any engineered mind shields. If the player had a natural mind shield and bought an advanced one, the pulse will reduce the player to a regular mind shield until it's repaired. Even if the player didn't or can't use their invention the night the EMP goes off at their place, the player will still know their invention is unusable. EMP blasts stop an Alien Scientist's ability to abduct and an Exterminator's ability to kill, but they do NOT free any abducted players! That would just be too mean to Alien Scientists. Then again, they do need a foil of some sort. Another idea is to have the whole ship go down in a big crash, killing all the prisoners on board. Hey, there's only 1 parachute and who do you think the Scientist will give it to?

Basically, I wanted to give town Scientists something they can do about dopp Military Scientist assassin bots. Even though they can spend their time repairing the invention, it'll still be out of comission for a little while and of course, lone dopps can't kill and repair. The idea to also be anti-alien came along later. The idea there is that aliens use their ships for everything, so without their ship, they have no abilities at all. I'm worried about power, of course, but I'd STILL probably take a body double if I didn't want to show off my idea so much.

I'm also thinking about an engineered plague to give to the military scientist so that not everything they have is lethal force, but I'm not sure how fun "you have the flu, you're roleblocked for the next 3 days" or whatever really is.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: September 07, 2010, 07:38:50 am »

Random idea for a Cutting Edge Scientist invention.

EMP Generator
Night action, affects one target player

Fires off an ElectroMagnetic Pulse (EMP) that knocks out all advanced technology the target may own. Most roles are fairly low tech and won't notice or care, but Scientists and Aliens will find themselves without their precious tools temporarily. When it goes off that night, affected Scientists lose their inventions and get roleblocked if they tried to use one although 1-shot items are not used up. Meanwhile, targeted Aliens lose all inventions AND actions and get roleblocked that night no matter what they tried to do, although again, any 1-shot items or actions they may have tried to use are not used up. To regain their actions and inventions, affected individuals must spend 2 nights fixing their invention/ship (no, you aren't fixing your invention the night it gets EMP'd). Only inventions receiving power care about having a power surge, so broken, already EMP'd, or used 1-shot inventions do not generate messages or get broken when an EMP goes off. Because of the diagnostic nature of repair work, nights spent fixing will have the outward goal of "Find".

All inventions are affected, including any engineered mind shields. If the player had a natural mind shield and bought an advanced one, the pulse will reduce the player to a regular mind shield until it's repaired. Even if the player didn't or can't use their invention the night the EMP goes off at their place, the player will still know their invention is unusable. EMP blasts stop an Alien Scientist's ability to abduct and an Exterminator's ability to kill, but they do NOT free any abducted players! That would just be too mean to Alien Scientists. Then again, they do need a foil of some sort. Another idea is to have the whole ship go down in a big crash, killing all the prisoners on board. Hey, there's only 1 parachute and who do you think the Scientist will give it to?

Basically, I wanted to give town Scientists something they can do about dopp Military Scientist assassin bots. Even though they can spend their time repairing the invention, it'll still be out of comission for a little while and of course, lone dopps can't kill and repair. The idea to also be anti-alien came along later. The idea there is that aliens use their ships for everything, so without their ship, they have no abilities at all. I'm worried about power, of course, but I'd STILL probably take a body double if I didn't want to show off my idea so much.

I'm also thinking about an engineered plague to give to the military scientist so that not everything they have is lethal force, but I'm not sure how fun "you have the flu, you're roleblocked for the next 3 days" or whatever really is.
I dislike the idea that the Alien is roleblocked if they aren't using their invention. So, an Exterminator and Operative wouldn't be roleblocked if they were killing unless the Exterminator was using Combat Camo. Also, this makes the Scientist impossible, as the extra THREE Days they spend being roleblocked and repairing is precious time they need for abducting other people. Perhaps this can be limited to one Day for aliens (The Day it's knocked out) and two Days for Scientists (The Day it's knocked out + 1.)

However, perhaps with that, there should be an item that turns a power role into its team's basic role. Some sort of Limiter Ray or something. It has much potential, since it can turn an AD into a regular Dopp, but also turn a Vig into a Townie. Aliens would be unaffected, as they don't have basic roles. This should either be unlimited uses or two-shot, as it isn't the power of an assassin bot, but it's meant to equal it in power. It also isn't a super roleblocker like Mr.Person was dealing with, as it hurts Town a lot more than it hurts Dopps, who can still Night Kill.

I also believe being redirected to yourself should cause you to action yourself, as being MIND CONTROLLED would leave you completely helpless to the resulting MIND CONTROL! So, if you kill things and get "possessed," and you just happen to believe you're killing things while you're slitting your own throat, I'd believe it. It's also not unbalanced, as currently, it's really lame if you know someone is a killer, as you can only redirect it to... someone else (Who will die, but may or may not be Town.) The only bonus you get now is the extra vote, which is mostly to appeal to Dopps, who end up picking the Body Double in most cases. The proposed change is equivalent to an assassin bot in power, has the potential to roleblock or KILL the target, and protect people from a kill. The extra vote might be much on the power (I think it should be dropped), but this has potentials for Dopps and Town: As long as they are told they aren't redirected, they will imagine they are actioning the person they tried to action. However, they will instead action the other person instead (Which may be themselves.) Dopps can kill Vigs this way without having to be near them and without being potentially killed. You can also confuse cops, role cops, or anyone, really (And seeing as how they could use more things stopping them...) It just makes more sense.

Another invention idea is a Time Warper. Sending someone into the future for an entire Day and Night. If they actioned the previous Night, then their action will be postponed until the following Night, and any actions that happened on them that Night will fail. Seeing as you could pass this off as an Alien Scientist, it can work for Town a lot better than Dopps, but if it is allowed to be used during the Day, it can save a Dopp from being lynched (Or a Town, for WIFOM or to save a PR.) It has several uses and isn't unbalanced. The warped person simply reappears the at the beginning of the following Day or Night.

Doppelganger idea: Thick-skinned Doppelganger. Its hide is built to be more durable than the average Doppelganger, making it resistant to kills (But not lynches.) It cannot be killed. The only thing this Dopp unbalances is the Exterminator, who should I will get to in a second. Seeing as how this can offset a Vigilante who KILLS OFF THE ENTIRE SCUMTEAM, I think it is a good choice.

Exterminator Tech: Disintegration Weapons (Large). Having this weapon, the Exterminator need merely to touch a soul with this weapon and they will breakdown into molecules. This bypasses protection from Doctors (Guards too?) and Thick-skinned Doppelgangers.

Exterminator Tech: Galactic Shopping Channel (Large PLUS Medium). Instead of choosing when they're least needed, the Exterminator can purchase one Medium and one Small Tech at any time. Unbalanced? Not at all. It simply delays the purchase of something (Say people are setting up chain-inspects. Needed an Advanced Holoform Modulator back on Day 1, but need it now on Day 4? Somebody just won't die during the Night and you need an Assassin Bot to keep them from talking? Want to kill those last two with a Deadman Bomb? Buy it now on the GSC!)

Exterminator/Alien Tech: Charismatic Voice (Large). This Exterminator works on a different level of murder: Diplomacy. The Exterminator has an extra vote. (Heck, even this being a Medium or SMALL Tech wouldn't be so bad. It could give some of the other roles access to a way to survive and BARTER for survival.)

These are just a few things I think might help the game overall. And just so it's not so bulky, shortened list:
1. Intelligence Scientist Tech: Limiter Ray, turns target into Vanilla role. Two shots or unlimited.
2. Mind Control Rays are possible to redirect target to themselves. Remove extra vote.
3. Intelligence Scientist Tech: Time Warper, sends target into the future.
4. Thick-Skinned Doppelganger: Immune to night-kills (and assassin bots.)
5. Exterminator Tech: Disintegration Weapons (Large), stops Doctor protection.
6. Exterminator Tech: Galactic Shopping Channel (Large + Medium), allows one Small and one Medium Tech to be chosen at any time.
7. Alien Tech: Charismatic Voice (Unknown size), gives extra vote.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: September 07, 2010, 10:47:38 am »

Also, another change.
Alien Scientist should merely abduct everyone he abducts. Releasing people that he's already captured can make confirmed Town/Scum, as opposed to continually capturing the wrong people. This will essentially act as another nightkill until he has all necessary ingredients (Town, Dopp, Alien), at which point he may release the others back into the game.
However, what happens when the last Alien dies and the Scientist hasn't collected one? This phenomena hasn't been witnessed yet, but would the Alien Scientist simply leave, dumping all its cargo? Seppoku, perhaps? I kinda want to know.

Also, needs more Aliens. Like cult and arson Aliens (The chance of these two plus the Exterminator showing up in the same game (two of three) should be extremely low.)
Suggestions:
Hivemind, 1 Medium Tech
Each Night, the Hivemind implants a device on a player, turning that player into a Drone. The Drone follows the Hivemind's orders, attempting to eliminate all others until it can establish a decent hold in the Town, with no disturbances. the Hivemind wins when his numbers equal or exceed the Town's and there are no killers (At that point, the Town is wiped out by the mind slaves.) When the Hivemind dies, the Drones will die. Drones will turn up as Drones on death.

Queen, No Tech
Each Night, the Queen secretly lays an egg in the body of the target, knocking the player out with Psychic forces. Anytime during the Day, the Queen may emit a supersonic cry, causing the eggs to awake from dormancy, hatch, and eat their way out of their host. If the host has a Mind Shield, they will know what has happened and not be roleblocked. Otherwise, this will be treated as a roleblock. Players with Advanced Mind Shields will evade the Queen and know that there is one. Same wincon as the Exterminator.

Right now, these act more like Exterminators (Well, maybe not the Hivemind, but the Queen definitely.) Perhaps there could be different version of the Exterminator, making it harder to tell that there's an Exterminator (+1 for the Exty.) The original Exterminator would simply be called Rogue Exterminator or something. Heck, you could even make Exterminator vs. Exterminator, if you're really cruel to the Town.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: September 07, 2010, 01:47:55 pm »

Hmmm, interesting ideas. I'll add them to my list of ideas and whatnot. Balancing everything might be a bit interesting, but there is some potential in here.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: September 07, 2010, 04:19:23 pm »

Idea: allow the Exterminator to choose between being an Arsonist or a standard killer. Flavor for arsonist would be implanting bombs in them at night or whatever.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: September 07, 2010, 05:52:23 pm »

Does no one want to comment on my ideas?

Panda: you can't let the Exterminator pick everything. Just some things.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: September 07, 2010, 05:53:47 pm »

I will once I have a chance to think everything through a bit.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: September 07, 2010, 05:59:28 pm »

You will find many of those proposed changes are pretty balanced. The aliens will need some work, but that's about it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: September 07, 2010, 07:01:04 pm »

Arsonist is generally very powerful, but mindshields seeing it would at least give everyone else a chance to respond.

And I presume the Hivemind wouldn't be able to recruit scum, considering how much webadict loves cults that can do so?  If they try to recruit scum, what happens?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: September 07, 2010, 07:02:18 pm »

Arsonist is generally very powerful, but mindshields seeing it would at least give everyone else a chance to respond.

And I presume the Hivemind wouldn't be able to recruit scum, considering how much webadict loves cults that can do so?  If they try to recruit scum, what happens?
If they attempt recruit scum, they fail, but the scum is still roleblocked, barring a Mind Shield.

Also, scum-recruiting cults are not fair and generally in bad taste.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: September 07, 2010, 07:03:26 pm »

If they attempt recruit scum, they fail, but the scum is still roleblocked, barring a Mind Shield.

Also, scum-recruiting cults are not fair and generally in bad taste.
Sorry, the scum don't get roleblocked. It just fails, since Doppelgangers have a different nervous system from humans.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: September 08, 2010, 12:46:21 am »

Panda: you can't let the Exterminator pick everything. Just some things.
:c
But I wubs Exterminators.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: September 08, 2010, 01:21:46 am »

On the two times I've gotten to be Exterminator, I was frustrated by the odds stacked against you. I think expanding the total Tech Slots to 3 (Small, Medium, and Large) would help, since the smallest techs are the most versatile and useful for a 3rd Party... and it sucks to have to forgo all the neat Medium/Large strategic combos possible just because you know if you do, the combined might of all the investigators and killers stacked against you makes it nigh impossible to pull a win.

I do like some of Web's alternate Alien roles though... particularly the flavor on the Cult/Arsonist Aliens. You could even run a Paranormal with mostly Aliens, just to mix things up a bit.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: September 08, 2010, 01:31:03 am »

Rename Alien Scientist to Zoologist or Xenozoologist or something like that. The current name "Alien Scientist" is easily confused with the more terrestrial "Mad Scientist" flavors.

New alien: Bounty Hunter
Turns out all the aliens around here are either wanted criminals or wanted by the crime bosses up in space! Either way, bounty hunters want to get rich off those fat, juicy rewards. Wins when all the other aliens in the game are dead and is still alive, at which time he leaves the game on his ship. Gets a medium tech and night kill to accomplish this task.

Tech for the intelligence scientists: Tracking bugs
2-shot, night action
These pair of tiny little signaling devices can each be covertly placed on another player (in flavor it should be placed on something the target owns to avoid issues), making your goal "Find" for that night. Then, every subsequent night, you'll automatically be told where that player went off to. When the player dies, you can recollect the bugs, ready to be used on the next night. Salvaging bugs gives you the goal of "Find" also.

Not sure if this is better or worse than the snooper bot. Slower, yes, but getting 2 tracks at once sounds good. It's good for the dopps in that they can track and kill at the same time, once they're set up. Doesn't seem so good for townies, but then again, neither are the assassin bot or mind control ray.

TODO: Make chart of all possibilities for each goal. Make sure that they have a good distribution curve. Make sure that any particular result gives a good range of fake-claims.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 117