Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 135113 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #1635 on: December 01, 2013, 06:16:26 pm »

It depends on what the exact wincons are (now would be a good time to clarify that, actually).  The way that Para has worked in the past is that as long as someone's victory is uncertain the game continues.

Although I've realized what I'm really worrying about is that the SS might play like an exty, which is dumb because the exty wincon is hard enough and the SS would have way fewer tools to do it.

There are a few odd situations that could arise from the SS (SS/dopp/townie ending - do you call it in favour of the SS or give the others a chance to screw him over?) but I suspect it's not unique in that regard.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: December 01, 2013, 06:17:43 pm »

It depends on what the exact wincons are (now would be a good time to clarify that, actually).  The way that Para has worked in the past is that as long as someone's victory is uncertain the game continues.

Although I've realized what I'm really worrying about is that the SS might play like an exty, which is dumb because the exty wincon is hard enough and the SS would have way fewer tools to do it.

There are a few odd situations that could arise from the SS (SS/dopp/townie ending - do you call it in favour of the SS or give the others a chance to screw him over?) but I suspect it's not unique in that regard.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: December 01, 2013, 07:12:19 pm »

Flavour suggestion: the Spore Spreader is an alien that got infected with a horrible extra-terrestrial parasite.  This parasite completely takes over your brain and body - the player is effectively playing as the parasite rather than the alien.

During the night the Spore Spreader can use the seed action.  This makes them breathe seeds out, and these take root and cause strange plants to grow all over town that everyone can see.

If the Spore Spreader is lynched during the next day, strange glands in his body explode.    These glands contain a gas that fertilizes the plants, and causes them to shoot out spores.  These spores infect everyone in town, causing them all to become spore spreaders.  This is basically the same thing as dying, so they all lose.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 07:28:47 pm by Leafsnail »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: December 01, 2013, 07:43:25 pm »

What about a daykill?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: December 01, 2013, 07:59:51 pm »

What about a daykill?
Should count for the win. Who would be stupid enough to daykill if they knew that?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: December 01, 2013, 08:04:17 pm »

Sure, as long as it's handled in the rules.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: December 01, 2013, 08:04:25 pm »

Daykills are really rare in Paranormal anyway under the current rules.  I'm not sure if it should be a Spore Spreader win or not, I'm leaning not because it would let a stupid exterminator ruin the game for everyone else.

Oh right, if the SS doesn't get lynched after seeding the plants wither and so does the virus within him.

I'm not so sure about the town's forced lynched flavour wise.  Maybe the SS could lynch himself if no other lynch is made during the day.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: December 01, 2013, 09:43:57 pm »

I really don't like the new SS proposal.  It's too random for the SS with the spores splashing on random people, and no other faction can really do anything about the Spore Spreader even though it can make them lose.

If you want a Paranormal jester, I've come up with a new mechanic idea (although I'm not sure how to flavour it).  Basically, once per game during the night it can make an announcement, publically.  This announcement forces the town to lynch on the next day (spore spreader can privately break a tie).  If the spore spreader is lynched that day, they win and everyone else who has not already achieved their win condition loses.  If the spore spreader is not lynched on that day, they lose and leave the game.

I think this would be an interesting role for all involved - perhaps fairly difficult to win, but I think that's acceptable for a third party that can have the glory of a solo victory.  I'm thinking they should maybe have a medium tech slot because the idea of them screwing with an Advanced Holoform Modulator amuses me.

I'm missing something here. What do you mean by the announcement? Are they saying "Hey, I'm a Spore Spreader! Lynch me if you can?"

I don't see how this works...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: December 01, 2013, 09:47:15 pm »

The moderator announces that a Spore Spreader has just seeded the town, but doesn't say who it is.

So they are kindof saying that, but anonymously.

e: More like "avoid lynching me if you can"

e2: Just to be clear, if a Spore Spreader dies (including by lynch) before making an announcement/seeding they lose.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 09:56:22 pm by Leafsnail »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: December 01, 2013, 10:01:16 pm »

It's an interesting concept- it puts some strategic thinking on the part of the SS (do I fire early and not get NKed or fire late when there are fewer people?) as well as a good acting challenge for the big day.  For the town, they know exactly what is at stake.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: December 01, 2013, 10:37:07 pm »

For the town, they know exactly what is at stake.

What's at stake is that the day that announcement is made, they're in a MyLo situation. Lynch the SS, everyone loses. Don't lynch the SS, normal day. No lynch, and the scum get a free pass that day.

The likeliest case, assuming no lynch is an option and there's no obvious scum to lynch, is no lynch. So, the SS loses, and the scum avoid losing one of their own.

Nope. I can see in my mind how that day would play out beyond a doubt. That's a gnarly anti-Town role.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: December 01, 2013, 10:52:27 pm »

For the town, they know exactly what is at stake.

What's at stake is that the day that announcement is made, they're in a MyLo situation. Lynch the SS, everyone loses. Don't lynch the SS, normal day. No lynch, and the scum get a free pass that day.

The likeliest case, assuming no lynch is an option and there's no obvious scum to lynch, is no lynch. So, the SS loses, and the scum avoid losing one of their own.

Nope. I can see in my mind how that day would play out beyond a doubt. That's a gnarly anti-Town role.
But, one of the main points was that they're forced to lynch that Day.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: December 02, 2013, 12:49:00 am »

Hmm, okay, I did miss that element.

So, town is still forced for the day into MyLo by the nuclear jester role. Better hope somebody's got a good scum read or a solid investigation.

I'd have fun playing that role... but, as it's been said before, any village idiot can get themselves lynched.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: December 02, 2013, 12:50:02 am »

You say that, but then there have been players whos greatest talent was not getting lynched despite the worst play imaginable.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: December 02, 2013, 01:06:02 am »

I blame metaknowledge for that. :P
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 117