Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 134649 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #450 on: July 30, 2009, 05:17:01 pm »

Hmm....

I kind of like the re-vote with those two as an option, except that it would extend the day too much.

Maybe I should put it to a poll, although there doesn't seem to be much support for it so far.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 05:18:46 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 30, 2009, 05:23:28 pm »

I'm also actively against double lynches. It's just a game-ruiner. Otherwise, I'd tell everyone to lynch themselves first day.

Now that... That would be an interesting game.
Only solution that counts. Plus, then the Exterminator wins and everyone else ties?

Let me think. Isn't the win condition of the Town is to exterminate all Scum? And the win condition of the Doppelganger is to kill all people other than the "Survivor Alien"? And isn't the goal of the Exterminator is to exterminate all non-Exterminators?

Wouldn't every one win except the Survivor Alien?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 30, 2009, 05:32:55 pm »

I'm also actively against double lynches. It's just a game-ruiner. Otherwise, I'd tell everyone to lynch themselves first day.

Now that... That would be an interesting game.
Only solution that counts. Plus, then the Exterminator wins and everyone else ties?

Let me think. Isn't the win condition of the Town is to exterminate all Scum? And the win condition of the Doppelganger is to kill all people other than the "Survivor Alien"? And isn't the goal of the Exterminator is to exterminate all non-Exterminators?

Wouldn't every one win except the Survivor Alien?
Most aliens would lose, actually.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 30, 2009, 05:35:49 pm »

Not that you can actually lynch more then 2 people per day, anyway.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 30, 2009, 05:38:13 pm »

It's either one or infinite.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 30, 2009, 05:39:38 pm »

Not sure I understand that statement but your dislike of multiple lynches has been noted.
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 30, 2009, 05:45:03 pm »

Not sure I understand that statement but your dislike of multiple lynches has been noted.
I just feel it makes the game too different from what it's supposed to be. It's like adding another turn to Battleship, but only for one person. You sank my Battleship AND my Aircraft Carrier! That Patrol Boat? One-shotted. Oh, still can't find my Submarine? That's probably because I didn't put it on the board...

And, it's actually hurtful to Town and Scum alike, and only benefits the Exterminator... Who may or may not need it. That is all.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 30, 2009, 05:59:49 pm »

I just feel it makes the game too different from what it's supposed to be. It's like adding another turn to Battleship, but only for one person. You sank my Battleship AND my Aircraft Carrier! That Patrol Boat? One-shotted. Oh, still can't find my Submarine? That's probably because I didn't put it on the board...

And, it's actually hurtful to Town and Scum alike, and only benefits the Exterminator... Who may or may not need it. That is all.

You're not making any sense WA! Why insist that it's only one or infinite? What does that battleship metaphor even MEAN?

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #458 on: July 30, 2009, 06:11:58 pm »

His point kind of makes sense, in that it allows the Town to kill two people a day which isn't how the original games were balanced.  Although it is also true that without knowing for sure who the Mafia is/are it's just as likely to hurt the town.  Especially if only one of the two is Town, then the Mafia could change at the last minute to save their own and kill the Townie (granted, by revealing one of their own).

Personally, I don't know if it's a good change or a bad one.  It definitely does give the game a different feel.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 30, 2009, 06:22:12 pm »

Wrong Janus! The rules as they are allow for a trick of EPIC proportions. Suppose there is a dopp enchanter, then that dopp can proceed with the crowd to "tie" between two people, and then at the end, only ONE person will be lynched! And because it requires that half of everyone to be involved, that allows him to weed out a town, protect a fellow dopp, and perform a 6+ way WIFOM.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #460 on: July 30, 2009, 06:26:25 pm »

Ouch.  Wow, I didn't even think of that.  (Some combination of having a crazy number of roles and people, most likely).  It does make Paranormal rather interesting to try to think through.

(Note to self: If chaoticjosh takes part in a double lynch in the next round and only one side dies, remember this conversation)
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 30, 2009, 06:29:04 pm »

Wrong Janus! The rules as they are allow for a trick of EPIC proportions. Suppose there is a dopp enchanter, then that dopp can proceed with the crowd to "tie" between two people, and then at the end, only ONE person will be lynched! And because it requires that half of everyone to be involved, that allows him to weed out a town, protect a fellow dopp, and perform a 6+ way WIFOM.

And why is that a bad thing?

I think that the most recent lynch (Toony/Duke) demonstrates the badness of allowing double lynches, especially with conditional voting to cause them. It was clear that Duke was scum and Toony was not, yet the Toony/Duke double conditional votes meant that even after Duke claimed scum Toony was still lynched.

If we were going to allow double lynches, I'd say that it would have to be a situation with more than half voting and all votes in one of the two camps: No third parties, no abstain/no lynch, no conditional votes, etc. That might even be too easy still to generate a double lynch. I see the double lynch as an exceptional situation, not something that the town can aim for and hit regularly.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 30, 2009, 06:31:21 pm »

Ok, I added a poll for these two issues. Since I'm fairly neutral about both of them (I see advantages and disadvantages to both), I'm going to stay out of the vote count and just go 'Other'.
Come play Mafia with us!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 30, 2009, 06:37:48 pm »

Rysith, if you're going to complain about the rules, complain about them separately.

I can see the guff people have with conditioned votes, and outlawing them might be something I could get behind. The only thing I'm worried about is the possibility of Ebay-style vote sniping.

Double lynches, on the other hand, had this weird property of being completely unknown and uncared about until I formed a game-winning strategy that involved them, and now everyone's crazy about'em. Personally, the DL rule is a tool for the town to use, and they've been VERY luck thus far with it, but this also allows them to bite themselves in the ass. Pretty hard, might I add.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 30, 2009, 06:50:36 pm »

Rysith, if you're going to complain about the rules, complain about them separately.

I can see the guff people have with conditioned votes, and outlawing them might be something I could get behind. The only thing I'm worried about is the possibility of Ebay-style vote sniping.

Double lynches, on the other hand, had this weird property of being completely unknown and uncared about until I formed a game-winning strategy that involved them, and now everyone's crazy about'em. Personally, the DL rule is a tool for the town to use, and they've been VERY luck thus far with it, but this also allows them to bite themselves in the ass. Pretty hard, might I add.
It's not a game-winning strategy. It's just killing off everyone but you. That's lame.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 117