Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 135157 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion - Talking about cultists
« Reply #795 on: October 14, 2009, 02:13:10 pm »

YEAH ISN'T IT AWESOME THAT EVERYONE GETS POWER ROLES IN PARANORMAL HAAHHAH

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 14, 2009, 02:33:45 pm »

Personally, as long as the games stay balanced and the crazy roles are somewhat rare, I'm fine with a whole bunch of different roles. However, if the role isn't fun (DoT, Ghost, whatever crazy shit you decide to put in in the next game that produces CT's) then it should be cut, period. Additionally, I think the craziest roles should be reserved for aliens, then maybe a few crazy things for the dopps and cultists, then any craziness left gets split between all the groups. The caveet to this is, of course, that there should be a few "worse-than-townie" or perhaps "powerful, but could be bad", like the PWV. Sadly, most of those are already done in Paranormal, so I can't think of any more besides Ascetic and Bomb (Reaction suicide bomber)

Meph, I can't remember, does your program allow for different role rarities? Last I checked, it didn't, but that was quite some time ago. Also, do you still have the detective up at like 4 weight for the town still? It should probably be more like 2. On the flipside, 5 weight for the scum seems perfect.

I think you need to buff the mind-control ray. I would suggest you make it not used up if the target has no action, didn't use their action, or was psychic warden'd. The flavor of this can be the ray can't be used on people who are asleep. Oh, and as a question, what happens if you mind control ray a scientist with a snooper bot? Do you control the bot?

If you want to make a multi-use mind control, that could work as a another psychic role, although I'm not sure on any names besides Domineer, which has lots of connotations. Mind Controller is boring, Redirector is flavourless and boring, so maybe Mind Puppeteer?

There should more statuses besides Mind Shield. Acetic would be a good start (Pleeeeease call it Spooky :D), other examples might be putting Kook and Goth into this category and maybe even buletproof. Sadly, I'm not sure how well that would work in your program, Meph. For instance, a Goth PWV would pretty much be a PWV and the modifier shouldn't count for anything, but an Ascetic PWV would be powerful indeed. On the other hand, an Ascetic Exterminator is powerful, while a Goth Exterminator in a cult game won't phase him much., but a Goth Exterminator in a dopp game would be very nice for him. Probably would be best to disallow all of the conditions from being on aliens except Mind Shield and maybe a few alien specific ones. After all, who's ever heard of a Gothic alien?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 14, 2009, 02:44:35 pm »

My program can handle quite a bit. Adding in abilities, for example, is just a matter of adding them to the spreadsheet. It doesn't really do rarity, though, except as a measure of cost. Bodyguard is much more common then Guardian, for example, just because of the difference in cost.

Yeah, detective isn't as costly for the town as it is for the scum since it's more useful for them.

I could probably buff the Mind Control ray a bit. The simplest way may be to just give it more then one charge.

I'll consider Goth/Kook as an Ability. Ascetic...not sure if that should be an ability or a role. Could work for either. Powerful, regardless.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 14, 2009, 03:01:33 pm »

Well, I know it can do a lot, I'm just worried about how much it can do well. I mean, there's several ability combinations that can't really be determined algorithmically, like a PWV Ascetic or Kook in a cult game or whatever. However, I think that there are few enough of those to be able to define them as they show up in games, if you feel up to it. Most of it IS simple enough to define algorithmically, because in general those kinds of abilitys are anti-town.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 14, 2009, 03:11:20 pm »

Well, I can easily set Kook to only show up in games with Dopps (it's already set up that way). What my script currently can't do is restrict an ability on anything other then Psychic/non-psychic. Although if I add in more abilities I may need to change that anyway.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: October 14, 2009, 05:08:22 pm »

What are people's opinions on adding in some other Paranormal type monsters into the game? Vampires, Werewolves, or the like? Probably as 3rd parties, but I'm open to ideas on how they could interact with various factions.

Come play Mafia with us!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 14, 2009, 05:11:53 pm »

Robots.

That would be awesome.  I just need to think of their goal.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 14, 2009, 05:14:56 pm »

How would vampires interact during the day, though?

Other than that, I would love those additions.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: October 14, 2009, 05:18:44 pm »

How would vampires interact during the day, though?

Other than that, I would love those additions.

Oh, this would be an old-school Vampire, like Dracula. He wouldn't have most of his powers during the day, but it wouldn't hurt him or anything. Which..explains how he could be lynched, actually.

Hehe. Vampire Lord might be fun. Immune to Night Kills, can 'feed' (role-block) one player each night. Goal is to survive to the end. Maybe let him turn one other player into a Vampire during the game. Kind of like the Survivor alien, but more active.

Not sure what goal a Werewolf would have. Maybe a standard cult-like group that grows each night?

Then I could add in a Monster Hunter whose goal is to kill off the Vampire Lord or Werewolf or whatever.
Come play Mafia with us!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 14, 2009, 05:19:04 pm »

Ok, dig this.  A single android snuck into this Paranormal town place disguised as a human trying to find and eliminate all aliens.  He'll leave after this goal.

Hmm?  Hmmmm?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 14, 2009, 05:23:03 pm »

Hmmm...so, basically an Alien Hunter role? Interesting. I'll have to think about that one.

Oh, had a thought about the Werewolf. It's an ability that any human, cultist, or dopp can have. When they are lynched, they go berserk and kill a random person in the room before dying.
Come play Mafia with us!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 14, 2009, 05:26:18 pm »

Maybe have Robot replace the Exterminator or his Operative?

Werewolf = Ghetto Warlock?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 14, 2009, 05:28:51 pm »

Maybe have Robot replace the Exterminator or his Operative?

Werewolf = Ghetto Warlock?

Well, nothing would stop the Operative from being robotic, if that's what you mean. Still not sure exactly what rules would govern a robot player, though.

And, yeah, the Werewolf would be kind like a less powerful Warlock. But that's why it is an ability, not a role. Not sure if I like that enough, though. Werewolves need more pondering.
Come play Mafia with us!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #808 on: October 14, 2009, 05:41:27 pm »

Perhaps instead of an Alien wanting to capture a Cultist, we could have some sort of Inquisitor/Knight Templar sort of role who wants to capture one to interrogate him?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: October 14, 2009, 06:10:22 pm »

Needs a bit more fluff, I think, Toony.

Meph, Vampires and Werewolves sort of are a genre-switch. (Zombies would be an edge case)

Thought: Change race of cultists from "human cultist" (which sounds like a hack) to "mostly human". Makes it fluffier, gives the cultists a "gift" from the Great Old Ones, makes the Scientist or Cult Seeker more sensible in their fluff as well. (Though, it would make it sounds like Scientist would need 4 in a bimafia- which would make them both a little harder to win, and a bit more pro-town force (takes out two scum, one town, and two alien.)
Main Issue with this: Goths are now the wrong flavor miller.

Another thought: Alien Scientist needs no alien if he's the only one starting in the game...nah. Don't want to have such information built into roles like that...

...speaking of which, I'm uncertain how to phrase a Scientist PM to grant enough information on win condition without revelation of sides- though I think you aren't concerned with that information, since it seems to be in the opening Day1 post, usually.

Flavor Fun: Dopp/Cult hunters are scientists (Or assistants to scientists) from the other flavor of paranormal seeking to complete their collection. ;)

Suggest adding "AWV" and "PWV"(/expansions) in the role table as aliases of Vigilante and War Vet. Perhaps use the nifty [.acronym] tag.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 06:13:01 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 117