Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capturing live fish+other questions.  (Read 517 times)

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Capturing live fish+other questions.
« on: May 30, 2009, 11:49:13 pm »

Well I've been playing DF for a bit now, and have had the help of the wiki by my side, so I've been doing okay. But I have a couple of quick questions you guys may be able to help me with:

#1: I really want an aquarium. I like having exotic animals as pets in the game (though the only ones that I seem to get with any regularity are macaques) and I want an aquarium in my meeting hall for happiness purposes. So I build a green glass cage, build it in the meeting hall and designate it an aquarium. Then I made some animal traps and set the fishery to catch live fish. One fishery worker does it, but he just stands over the animal stockpile holding a cage. It's winter, so I cancel the order and wait till spring. I make another order for live fish. Stupid fisher does the same dang thing. So I designate part of a brooke and a nearby lake and start another order. He catches one trout (which a dwarf ate live right after I assigned it to an aquarium) and then I never see another live fish after 2 game years despite repeatedly canceling and restarting the job because nobody was paying attention to it. What gives?

2: I don't know if this should go in modding, but I'll give it a try here. The wiki indicates I can turn adventure mode detail for engravings on through the innit for fortress mode, but doesn't say on the wiki how to do it? Help?

3: Another modding question, but I'm already making this thread so I'll throw it in in hopes of answering. Is there a way to change the game in such a way that when collapsed constructed walls aren't destroyed? I had the super awesome idea of building a huge castle out over the ocean and then putting all my dwarves in the castle and removing its supports. I had hoped to make a self sustaining underwater castle. When it hit the bottom I may even be able to dig down in to the dirt at the bottom of the ocean. But in order for this dream to be realized the walls must survive a collapse.

Excuse my mistakes and errors, currently a little intoxicated.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Capturing live fish+other questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 12:51:35 am »

1. I don't know.

2. In the init.txt, there's an option saying something to the effect of  'Reveal history in Fortress Mode'. Set this to 'yes'.

3. Nope. Sorry. You'll have to build your giant castle starting from the ocean floor.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 11:47:43 am »

Which means either mass pumping or magma.

Edit: Or  the magic liginite bins, which involves magma of HFS anyway.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 12:10:50 pm by Byakugan01 »
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 11:58:59 am »

You could cast it out of magma, then collapse it.  That would work.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Jakkarra

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 02:15:13 pm »

do not have your dorfs in it though, till it reaches the bottom.

they will die.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 03:01:13 pm »

I believe the entire thing would cave in., so don't even bother mining out the fortress until it's safe on the bottom.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 05:57:09 pm »

You could try mining your fortress, then channelling the ocean to go beneath it before collapsing the supports.

Natural walls etc don't collapse.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 03:13:10 am »

Doesn't tweak or one of those kind of utilities have a way of making constructed walls behave natural so you cna engrave them and such?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.