Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rich children and injured hammerer  (Read 902 times)

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rich children and injured hammerer
« on: June 12, 2009, 08:49:00 am »

I have noticed that the 2 children in my fortress are richer than several of my skilled workers with account of 2,000 some ought dwarf bucks. They also have their own rooms. My babies also have similarl large accounts, one even has over 3,000. How do they get this money?

Also, My Hammerer made himself useful during the orc siege and ran into battle. He was injured and brought to the bed. 2 years later he's still in bed? I check him out, and he still has a broken left lower arm and hand. Weird, slow recovery. Oh well, that good. I wonder if he is still holding that hammer? I check his inventory and OH LOOK A FORBIDDEN ARROW! So unforbid it and set it for dumping, cause I've read that unless I do that they will never recover. And then I realized, this is the HAMMERER. In a state where he will never die (unless I run out of water or food), never be unhappy, and NEVER DISPENSE JUSTICE! I immediately reopen his inventory and forbid the arrow, naturally. I just thought that was neat and wanted to share.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rich children and injured hammerer
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 09:43:27 am »

Children get rich due to tearing down buildings and harvesting. They're normally the first available for either of those.
Also, they don't spend as much because they're naked.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 01:05:42 pm »

I have noticed that the 2 children in my fortress are richer than several of my skilled workers with account of 2,000 some ought dwarf bucks. They also have their own rooms. My babies also have similarl large accounts, one even has over 3,000. How do they get this money?

Also, My Hammerer made himself useful during the orc siege and ran into battle. He was injured and brought to the bed. 2 years later he's still in bed? I check him out, and he still has a broken left lower arm and hand. Weird, slow recovery. Oh well, that good. I wonder if he is still holding that hammer? I check his inventory and OH LOOK A FORBIDDEN ARROW! So unforbid it and set it for dumping, cause I've read that unless I do that they will never recover. And then I realized, this is the HAMMERER. In a state where he will never die (unless I run out of water or food), never be unhappy, and NEVER DISPENSE JUSTICE! I immediately reopen his inventory and forbid the arrow, naturally. I just thought that was neat and wanted to share.

This brings up an interesting idea. How about a staged cave in that stuns the hammerer long enough to lock him in a cage. Put him in the zoo.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 01:22:04 pm »

that yould break the cage trap, I made a thread on this awhile back on catching one.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=36189.0
Noblemon, gotta catch 'em all

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 01:53:26 pm »

Families share accounts. So the 3000 in the children's account probably comes from his parents.

Notably, though, families do not share accounts with legendaries. This leads to interesting situations with penniless children living in poverty with their legendary parents celebrating their luxury.

I check his inventory and OH LOOK A FORBIDDEN ARROW! So unforbid it and set it for dumping, cause I've read that unless I do that they will never recover.

I can't say it enough, but this is not true. Dwarves will heal with ammunition stuck in their limbs, and when they're fully healed, they will remove the ammunition. As for your hammerer, he's just taking forever to heal. Enjoy it while it lasts.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 03:54:46 pm »

Families share accounts. So the 3000 in the children's account probably comes from his parents.

Notably, though, families do not share accounts with legendaries. This leads to interesting situations with penniless children living in poverty with their legendary parents celebrating their luxury.

I check his inventory and OH LOOK A FORBIDDEN ARROW! So unforbid it and set it for dumping, cause I've read that unless I do that they will never recover.

I can't say it enough, but this is not true. Dwarves will heal with ammunition stuck in their limbs, and when they're fully healed, they will remove the ammunition. As for your hammerer, he's just taking forever to heal. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Then the wiki (under wound) must be incorrect.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If that's the case with accounts it would definitely explain why my babies are so rich. Thanks.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 03:58:18 pm »

Yeah, the wiki is definitely incorrect on that issue. I've seen it happen with a dwarf who got two toes cut off from a bolt that got stuck in, and then with a human that had both his ears pierced, but not his brain, by an arrow. They take the bolts or arrows out once they're fully healed.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 07:16:14 pm »

okay, the hammerer has healed. The wiki is off, someone should fix it...

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 08:25:58 pm »

both his ears pierced, but not his brain, by an arrow.

What. Did it pass clean through the space his brain should be occupying, or something?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 09:48:45 pm »

It was a bit of a mystery to me, too. I figured he just put on one of those hats that makes it look like you've got an arrow through your skull and had a laugh at everyone's expense.

snuflufagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 11:56:16 pm »

Pierced both lobes and just missed the brainstem?

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 12:22:12 am »

i like the hat idea
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 05:29:04 am »

both his ears pierced, but not his brain, by an arrow.

What. Did it pass clean through the space his brain should be occupying, or something?

I imagine the traditional cartoon 'go into someone's head' scenario: 98% open air, 2% brain.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.