Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Game Idea=Scary Game Project  (Read 3891 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Game Idea=Scary Game Project
« on: July 11, 2009, 03:04:38 pm »

1) Player is a mechanic.
2) Player hears of report that a space station has shut down.
3) Player arrives at space station to see nobody there. No bodies, no people, nothing at all. He has wireless communication with his Boss, who try to assure him that nothing is wrong.
4) Player goes to fix the space station, making it operational again. While there, Player actually does find out what is wrong.
5) Player escapes the Space Station and alert the Boss what is wrong. If the Player guesses correctly, he wins. Otherwise, he is fired.

Now, I want to make this scary, and I realize that the best way to keep a scary game scary is to make sure the person does not know what is going on. So, the actual cause of the Space Station failure is, heh heh, randomly generated. So are any threats the player has to face and battle with. Once the player fixes the Space Station and arrives back, the Player presents to the Boss all the evidence that showcase what went wrong, and the Player wins if he guesses correctly what caused the Space Station to collaspe in the first place.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Game Idea=Scary Game Project
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 03:05:32 pm »

The premise seems kind of Dead Space-y doesn't it?
Shoes...

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 03:08:19 pm »

It was inspired by Zero Puncuation's review of Dead Space, where the Player in question goes over to a space station, finds out a lightbulb was broken, fixes the lightbulb and get out, and wins the game.

"Kinda a letdown, but at least it was original."
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 03:47:30 pm »

In fact, unless you have significant gameplay differences, it would be dead space.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 03:53:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure Servant Corps was founded before EA Games so they got nothing on him.  I like the idea!   ;D

MarineElite

• Bay Watcher
  • The End is Nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 03:53:36 pm »

How is it a idea if its just copying something else...
Also to those it may concern How to bybass Troubles with your IP on Byond

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 03:54:58 pm »

The fact that you actually have to pay attention to the game is a big plus to me.  Not only do you have to make it out alive, but you have to record and analyze everything you see.  I don't care one bit about some other stupid game.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 06:12:13 pm »

Are you talking what the physical problem is, or what caused it in the first place?  What's the play style you're thinking of (top view, 3rd person, first person)?

Fear is caused by tension.  I almost sounds like you are trying to cause fear by the tension of the player not knowing if something will or won't jump out at him.  If nothing does often enough, that might get boring...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 06:18:01 pm »

The fear of having to figure out what happened to these guys is creepy.  You could suffer the same fate!  AHH!

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 06:21:02 pm »

i could help here,

Source engine would be a cool engine. awesoooooooooome physics!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 06:28:53 pm »

Are you talking what the physical problem is, or what caused it in the first place?

What caused the problem in the first place. I highly doubt most players would be engineers.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 06:30:13 pm »

aaaaaaaaaaaand what if they are?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 06:31:26 pm »

Hang the little buggers, what are they doin' messin' with this?!

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 06:54:02 pm »

Are you talking what the physical problem is, or what caused it in the first place?  What's the play style you're thinking of (top view, 3rd person, first person)?

Fear is caused by tension.  I almost sounds like you are trying to cause fear by the tension of the player not knowing if something will or won't jump out at him.  If nothing does often enough, that might get boring...

Which is why it might be difficult to pull of, the right balance of not enough and too much. My personal take on this idea would be to have depending on the size 5 distinctly different enemies patrolling it, none of them are confined to a set zone and each one would be difficult to kill/spot for different reasons if they meet each other they fight and you can hear it and if your quite enough even sneak in and watch letting you get a look at them, of course make too much noise or what not and they will both go after you. Various different things can attract them some avoidable some not but none would guarantee they come (Think panic and cresendo events in l4d only no guaranteed horde.)

As for enemies I'm thinking:

Stalker type enemy, super fast wall climbing most of the time, dark coloured so he hides well in some areas although well lit areas will screw him over, he's also almost blind so standing still will cause him to start searching you out with other senses, maybe if he can't find you he gives up and moves on. Has the best hearing of all of them so if you make a lot of noise he is most likely to check it out.

Shape shifter, can be anything it sees, intelligent enough to eat things before shifting so you wont spot it through double items normally becomes you to attack head on but will prefer to wait until you get close enough then shift into something like a snake and try to crush you.

Tank type enemy, big strong and nigh indestructible but stupid and has poor senses so unless you make a ton of noise you wont attract it, it also makes a lot of noise so your normal tactic when it comes along should be to run and hide.

Sentient gas. This is just what it says on the tin a cloud of hallucinogenic gas which can think, these will be generated by another enemy somewhere so they could be classified as a weapon rather than an enemy, the enemy that spawns them would be slow moving and unable to attack in it's own right, the gas would travel through vents at a speed a little above yours, although it would have trouble with corners (queue dramatic chase scene) it dissipates naturally and if you breathe it in, of course if you do that you'll start seeing all kinds of whacky things and likely make a lot of noise, not a danger on it's own but likely to bring it.

Ok I can't think up any more right now. The station would be large and decorated as if it was somewhere you might actually you know live. There would be absolutely no flickering lights and very little of what you might consider the traditional horror fare, instead it would be set somewhere eeirly similar to someone's house, you know the type you would be in while playing.

Infact I quite like this idea I'm with Jakkarra if you're serious and you'll have me (I have no experience so maybe I shouldn't be taking on a big project like this but I'm eager and have absolutely nothing else to do.)
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 06:58:00 pm »

uh, sure, your in, i have a little weapons design experience, and am a brainstormer.

any good at coding?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4