How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270430 times)

CharlieMopps

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d14
« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2009, 06:00:31 pm »

So how long do we have to wait for D15? I got a good map and didn't realize this no-refresh bug existed until it was well under way.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 24, 2009, 06:06:45 pm »

So how long do we have to wait for D15? I got a good map and didn't realize this no-refresh bug existed until it was well under way.

Hopefully not long, but if you get impatient, you can of course move your save back to the version of your choice, e.g. 40d11.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2009, 06:12:30 pm »

I'm finding what appears to be a yet-unreported input issue on 40d14, running on Mac OS X 10.5 with the standard us keyboard.

On the embark screen, when you are choosing items, I push N to add a new item and begin typing to narrow down the list. Unfortunately, the delete key does not delete the typed characters. Everything else seems to work there. Sorry if it was mentioned and I missed it.
This is because OS X reports a different keycode (i.e. delete) when pressing the key, instead of backspace like the rest of the world does.

It can be fixed by adding the correct code in the input menu.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Pearnamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2009, 07:54:10 pm »

I'm finding what appears to be a yet-unreported input issue on 40d14, running on Mac OS X 10.5 with the standard us keyboard.

Unfortunately, the delete key does not delete the typed characters. Everything else seems to work there.
This is because OS X reports a different keycode (i.e. delete) when pressing the key, instead of backspace like the rest of the world does.

It can be fixed by adding the correct code in the input menu.

The binding you're looking for in the interface.txt file, would be:
Code: [Select]
[BIND:String_A000]
[KEY:Backspace]
[KEY:Delete]

The old input code probably had an alias or platform-specific define, since the delete key worked in previous versions of DF on the Mac, even though the interface file only listed the Backspace for code A000.

Andy Korth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 24, 2009, 08:35:01 pm »

Thanks both of you; your suggested fix does work, Pearnamer.

Hehe, I didn't know you played DF, Pearnamer. Good to see you around here.

MCD

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 25, 2009, 12:26:07 am »

Using XP and an nVidia 8800GT:
standard - Slightly slower and jerky.
partial - Seizure-inducing, no matter what I set the number at.
accum_buffer and frame_buffer - Screen stays static when unpaused, but shows the new positions of objects when paused again.
VBO - Doesn't even start.

waldoknoesen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 25, 2009, 04:19:02 am »

Set partial to 25, now only the finder issue is left. The rest is fine. Seems to freeze only when theres alot of action going on.
Waldo having a rampage @ goblin site

Matt2358

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 25, 2009, 09:44:29 pm »

I completely deleted DF and then Reinstalled it and I still have the same problem, it must be the graphics set I'm using (Dystopian Rhetoric). I tried turning graphics off though and nothing happened.

To repeat myself the problem is that It won't let me choose any skills to put points in besides the military ones, the trader ones, and the communication ones.

Malor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 26, 2009, 04:29:24 am »

This is a long thread, so I'll pass along two problems I've seen without reviewing all the posts.  I know the no-updates bug is known, but I thought I'd add a little data.  Not sure about the other one. 

I specifically see the lack of updates, on a Vista/NVidia system, when FPS drops below 20.  At 21 or higher FPS, I have sluggish but usable updates.  At either 20 or 19, updates stop, and I have to pause to see what's going on.

The second bug I see regularly is when alt-tabbing away from DF in windowed mode.  It occasionally loses the ability to see keystrokes, and can't be communicated with anymore.  A workaround I've found is going to task manager, doing an End Task, and then waiting for the pop-up window that shows up when programs ignore a shutdown command.  I then do NOT force DF death, but rather cancel.  When I alt-tab back to DF, it will be at the Escape menu, and will almost always have key focus again.  Every once in a great while, I'll have to do that twice.

I'm running with all default video settings; I fiddled a bit with the advanced options, but they resulted in a horribly flickery mess, so I quickly gave up on them.  Just using the defaults.  I typically zoom up to the largest possible size, as I have a huge monitor.

Kullervo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 26, 2009, 05:36:39 am »

First, I'm very grateful for the decision to create a Linux DF. The sooner I can stop using wine the better :D

However, while I was playing with df_linux I ran into the following problem:
Gained focus
Gained focus
./df: line 12: 15118 Segmentation fault      ./dwarfort.exe $*
So I shifted focus away twice, and back twice, and the third time I shifted focus away it segfaulted.

I'd upload my save to DFFD, but that place's activation email's link isn't activating, so I'm just leaving this report. I doubt it had much to do with Kokebnish, fortress of 119 dwarves, in any case.

Edit:
(06:41:30 AM)

I tried again: first off, "Gained focus" only happens on minimize/unminimize, not ALT+TAB.

Second, it isn't crashing so far in this second experiment, which seems to be different only in that I haven't resized the window yet. It could be that DF hasn't done much DFing yet though.

Edit:
(06:43:41)

It appears that second surmise is correct. After resizing the window twice such that it filled this gigantic screen, several minimize/unminimize operations led it to crash on the final minimize:
Gained focus
Gained focus
Gained focus
Gained focus
./df: line 12: 19396 Segmentation fault      ./dwarfort.exe $*

Edit:
(06:51:20 AM)

For reference, here's how my DF starts.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit:

And when I thought I understood it... It segfaulted when I selected "The Many Menus" in the Help menu. This was after using the mousewheel for some zooming. Continued output added below:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:29:41 am by Kullervo »

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 26, 2009, 11:14:32 am »

Not a bug report exactly, but I'd just like to note that hunting down the dependencies for Fedora 11 x64 is proving incredibly annoying.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Pato2747

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 26, 2009, 05:59:55 pm »

I'm sorry I bring back a common issue, but even after updating my GPU drivers I still suffer the same problem (d14 doesn't even start). Is there any way to solve this after the "update drivers" solution has been tried?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 06:11:38 pm by Pato2747 »

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 26, 2009, 08:32:53 pm »

The second bug I see regularly is when alt-tabbing away from DF in windowed mode.  It occasionally loses the ability to see keystrokes, and can't be communicated with anymore.  A workaround I've found is going to task manager, doing an End Task, and then waiting for the pop-up window that shows up when programs ignore a shutdown command.  I then do NOT force DF death, but rather cancel.  When I alt-tab back to DF, it will be at the Escape menu, and will almost always have key focus again.  Every once in a great while, I'll have to do that twice.
I have occasionally been able to replicate a problem with key sequnces that cause DF to lose focus.  What happens is that modifier keys such as CTRL, ALT, Windows, etc are still recorded as being pressed.  There is very little I can do about this bug since the SDL library, that connects DF to the OS, is what thinks the key is still pressed.

You can get around it by pressing and releasing whatever modifier key was involved in the loss of focus.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 27, 2009, 03:23:31 am »

I'm sorry I bring back a common issue, but even after updating my GPU drivers I still suffer the same problem (d14 doesn't even start). Is there any way to solve this after the "update drivers" solution has been tried?
Download and run glView, paste its output list of extensions supported here - make sure opengl actually works, in other words.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #209 on: August 27, 2009, 02:52:11 pm »

Holy Armok.

I'm gonna need new pants. I'm getting to work on a huge tileset guys!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
<3
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 64