How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270440 times)

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #765 on: December 14, 2009, 09:22:35 pm »

Can we get a glimpse of said interface changes?

Unless I missed it somewhere. >_>

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: December 14, 2009, 09:32:14 pm »

Can we get a glimpse of said interface changes?

Unless I missed it somewhere. >_>

I believe Baughn meant interfaces in the object-oriented sense, not the "cool menus and graphics" sense.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: December 14, 2009, 09:45:28 pm »

...but if you want a glimpse of the user interface changes, the d# releases would be the best preview.  There are changes (...namely scaling, etc.) but it still looks like the old version and should operate like the old one with improvements.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: December 15, 2009, 03:11:35 am »

Something of both, actually.

It's called a "legacy interface" - and an "interface", in this case, is in fact something you can see.

But the changes that make it non-legacy won't be visible to you.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: December 15, 2009, 03:16:35 am »

Right. It disappears after (a) some seconds have passed, and (b) you press a key. This way, it doesn't get in the way.

I could increase the timeout, if you like.
The reset-to-middle is...very odd...and annoying/counterproductive. Something that DOESN'T screw with mouse position please?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: December 15, 2009, 09:20:49 am »

It's sure odd, especially as there is no code for it in DF. Here's the exact code...

Code: [Select]
case SDL_KEYDOWN:
     // Hide mouse if it's been long enough
     if (mouse_lastused + 5000 < enabler.now) {
       SDL_ShowCursor(SDL_DISABLE);
     }

case SDL_MOUSEMOTION:
         mouse_lastused = enabler.now;
         SDL_ShowCursor(SDL_ENABLE);
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 09:24:09 am by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Xandrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: December 15, 2009, 03:32:27 pm »

Xandrin -- what you uploaded is a JPEG.  Did you convert to JPEG when you uploaded it, or is the tileset itself a JPEG?  If so, that would probably cause problems, as JPEG is not supported (because your sprites get filled with crappy artifacts).

Crap...Tinypic converted my bmp to jpeg when I uploaded it.  Rest assured it is in bmp format on my machine.

EDIT: Well double crap, problem solved.  My language files weren't synched properly, which is what was causing the problem.  Crisis averted, carry on.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: December 15, 2009, 04:04:51 pm »

Standing down from DEFCON 2... 8)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

kuaera

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: December 15, 2009, 05:46:33 pm »

I'm having some pretty severe graphical slowdowns when using graphic sets. I'll get to the embark screen and can watch the FPS drop from ~21 down to 5, 4, 3... Despite not actually doing anything. Actual game is unplayably slow.

Running on Linux with HEAD files applied, using latest git Radeon driver. 1.6 Ghz processor, 786 MB RAM, if relevant. I'll try later on to see if my bigger, faster computer experiences similar slowdowns.

Greg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: December 15, 2009, 05:54:18 pm »

When the newest version of Dwarf Fortress comes out, will you make a new version of the accelerated version to go along with it, your current version is the only way DF is playable on my mac, and i really appreciate what you have done, because without your version i would've never been able to play this amazing game.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: December 15, 2009, 05:58:19 pm »

When the newest version of Dwarf Fortress comes out, will you make a new version of the accelerated version to go along with it, your current version is the only way DF is playable on my mac, and i really appreciate what you have done, because without your version i would've never been able to play this amazing game.

This branch is being merged into the upcoming version of DF (it's one of the few unfinished items, down in the "Final" section).  So yes, it'll have all the same accelerations.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: December 15, 2009, 06:34:04 pm »

So yes, it'll have all the same accelerations.

That's all well and good, but what other performance optimizations should we expect from the new version? Baughn's efforts are greatly appreciated, but it was my understanding that his improvements have only helped a minority of the community, and they've done next to nothing for me.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: December 15, 2009, 06:55:15 pm »

That's all well and good, but what other performance optimizations should we expect from the new version?

There haven't been any major optimizations, although yesterday Toady mentioned there'll be "a slight overall gain" for reactions and jobs (probably the process of finding items/dwarves for the job).  In general, we'll be lucky if average performance doesn't decrease with this release, with the underground expansions etc.  We're not likely to see major performance improvements until Toady gets to the "Improved Pathfinder" item from Eternal Suggestion Voting (and maybe not then, either).  That may be as soon as a few months from now, since after this release he'll be working on improved sieges, Adv. Mode, and the top 10 ESV items.

Baughn's efforts are greatly appreciated, but it was my understanding that his improvements have only helped a minority of the community, and they've done next to nothing for me.

The poll at the top of the thread indicates speed boosts for over 50% of respondents.  I don't think we have any other numbers for how many people it helped.  If tweaking your PRINT_MODE in init.txt doesn't increase your FPS, then you're probably one of the lucky ones who was already getting "good" performance before 40d#.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:58:11 pm by Footkerchief »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: December 15, 2009, 07:26:03 pm »

If tweaking your PRINT_MODE in init.txt doesn't increase your FPS, then you're probably one of the lucky ones who was already getting "good" performance before 40d#.

I've tinkered with my print_mode stuff all right, with no sustainable (meaning that it seemed to be going faster at first, but slumped not long after, or that the framerates were terribly unsteady) improvements.

"good"

If those quotation marks were meant ironically, then you've hit the nail on the head. My last fort hit 20-25 fps at a pop of ~70, going up to perhaps 35-40 fps whenever over half of my dwarfs idled. I then disabled temperature and weather in my init, which are measures I really like to avoid, and the improvement wasn't worthy of the name: the framerates did go up to around 60 perhaps, only to slump back to 30 the next instant. It kept going from 60 to 30 and back to 60 like every second or two, which was even more unpleasant than having it run at ~20 somewhat steadily.

So yeah, I'm getting "good" performance all right.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: December 15, 2009, 08:02:59 pm »

Two known causes of exceptionally bad performance are a) pet-locked doors and b) having a very high item count on your map.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 64