How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270358 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #825 on: January 02, 2010, 05:22:09 pm »

..no. Just no. You people aren't at all sane.

This way works perfectly fine; if you want something that small, specify the grid size. Somehow I doubt you'd want the quality loss from a non-blackspace, non-exact grid anyway.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 02, 2010, 05:42:06 pm »

;D
Well, it's not unreasonable, and it's more readable.
[GRID:TILES:80:25] or [GRID:PIXELS:1280:400]

[SCALE:1:1] >_> and perhaps restore an old feature in a new way

Also, something (it might not be in df) does not like tiny windows. lemme confirm this actually.

Nah, cancel that, 320x100 window (80x25 for 4x4) works. Though, I'm still getting Mysterious Antialiasing on ACCUM_BUFFER/YES, which is best setting fpswise. But it makes 4x4 unplayable since it mangles most tiles.
under good/standard:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 06:03:48 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 02, 2010, 08:09:50 pm »

Well, let's see what happens with the 2D modes in 40d17.

One of those might be as fast. Accum-buffer is normally horribly slow, so if it isn't for you.. it's because everything else is too.  ::)

The 2D modes are definitely pixel-perfect. Zooming isn't supported, though.

jpwrunyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 02, 2010, 08:18:12 pm »

This way works perfectly fine; if you want something that small, specify the grid size. Somehow I doubt you'd want the quality loss from a non-blackspace, non-exact grid anyway.

My point wasn't to enable a 256x256 pixel view... merely to make the interface configuration explicit.  Having 256 (or whatever) be a magic number is... well, against my instincts.  Also, I guarantee that someone will not get it.  "Is this supposed to be 400 pixels or 400 tiles?  Der..."  Or "I'm gonna pimp my DF!  I have 3 monitors lined up horizontally!  I wanna 300 tile wide window to stretch across them all!  Wait... pixels???  I don't know how many pixels that is!  Uh, 1440 plus..."

Anyway, it was just a suggestion.  If you're not worried about stupid settings or stupid people then it is sorta moot.  For me these sort of considerations are just instinctual.  I have to make any application I program fool-proof... because the end users are fools.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 02, 2010, 08:56:55 pm »

actually, as I understand it there's a hard-coded 256x256(off-by-one?) maximum display, which would need fixing in the backend(Toady's) before it would be possible.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 03, 2010, 06:48:08 am »

Not "need fixing", actually; they're #defines, and could be changed in an instant.

But there are no doubt a bunch of datastructures that allocate that much memory statically. I've tried to avoid it, but I think even I've got a few. So that should be cleared up before it can be set to something like 5000.

And point taken. I'll use [WIN_GRIDSIZE:x:y] and [WIN_RESOLUTION:x:y] instead. You get to use one, or the other, or quite possibly both if I can figure out how to do that cleanly.

Ornedan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 03, 2010, 01:33:15 pm »

Until someone manages a 3xSomething tileset, the smallest available is 4xSomething which has a 320px horizontal width. So unless you know of a method of getting a tileset to only 3 pixels wide while still usable, and you would want a width between 81 and 84 tiles, I think it is safe to assume this is a non-issue.  :P
It's more an issue of magic values (or value-ranges in this case) being bloody ugly.

Edit: Oh, hey, new page where I got ninjad by several hours. Succes!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:35:13 pm by Ornedan »

Daman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 03, 2010, 01:59:43 pm »

so uh is the input not responding on adventurer death going to be un-fucked in d17?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 03, 2010, 02:48:37 pm »

Yes.

Daman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: January 03, 2010, 02:53:04 pm »

Yes.

cool sounds hot hope it's out soon

you should put up an SVN or sth

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 03, 2010, 03:07:22 pm »

you should put up an SVN or sth

There's a link in the OP for the 40d16 HEAD, although I don't know if it's still getting updated: http://brage.info/~svein/df-40d16-head.tar.bz2

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 03, 2010, 03:20:26 pm »

It isn't, because my current point of development does not include a working DF.

Well.. it starts, you can generate a world, but you can't play. Toady'll have to fix whatever causes game-start commands to be ignored. :P

Once d17 is out I'll have an easier time.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 03, 2010, 06:16:27 pm »

You are aware of the strange character-exclusions in the note-taking paraphernalia, both at embark and fortress mode? Just something to watch out for.coded
Tilesets

Konpeito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 03, 2010, 06:58:04 pm »

Hoping I can get a quick assist on this... I'm on my Windows XP install, because my fort has gotten so big that managing it without the help of utilities that have no OS X counterpart (which is to say, all of them) is almost more trouble than it's worth. Here's the problem: when I try to resize the window, even by so much as a pixel, the entire thing goes black. Careful experimentation suggests that if I can get the window EXACTLY back to the size it started, it comes back. The Mac version of 40d16, which I've been running this fortress on until now, has never displayed this resize glitch. I am really quite confused, but I'm sure I've managed to innocuously screw up some otherwise unimportant variable somewhere. I have a knack for that sort of thing. Any suggestions for how to fix this so I can get on with my farewell-to-the-current-version fortress would be greatly appreciated!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 03, 2010, 07:04:24 pm »

Based on my experience:
1. You're using something other than [PRINTMODE:STANDARD]
2. There is a bug that makes it think that it needs to do a redraw, but only manages to clear the window. Do something else that actually forces a redraw (the easiest is changing the zoom level and resetting it)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 64