Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Free, with purchase...  (Read 17713 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Free, with purchase...
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2009, 05:39:09 am »

With the mention of sets and union, I'm now contemplating a joke that is about all the jokes that are not jokes about themselves...

Yrs,
Bertrand Russell

uran77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2009, 09:55:54 am »

its freaking annoying if one of those cages the elves bring contains a giant eagle corpse.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2009, 04:10:20 pm »

"Cat!  Free to a good mountainhome!"
"...But the cat's dead."
"That's the best part!"
This kitty is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the cage 'e'd be pushing up the longland grass! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-CAT!!
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2009, 04:37:56 pm »

"Cat!  Free to a good mountainhome!"
"...But the cat's dead."
"That's the best part!"
This kitty is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the cage 'e'd be pushing up the longland grass! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-CAT!!

The spark of his life is covered in shate. His spirit is gone but his stench remains, does that answer your question!?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2009, 02:17:23 am »

It's even better with the dark dwarves mod. Deep elves sometimes bring dozens and dozens of animals. I happily buy their wussy darkwood cages and butcher the swamp troll corpses inside, then toss the cage in the magma.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2009, 05:27:03 am »

[size=9][/size][/shadow]
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2009, 08:19:34 pm »

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2009, 08:39:24 pm »

I found out, by acquiring several caravans full of dead animals in cages, that your butcher will actually bring the caged corpse to the butcher workshop and process the corpse without you having to build the cage, dump the corpse, and reclaim it.  Since animals in cages in a stockpile are essentially in statis, the corpses don't rot while they wait for him to do this.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2009, 08:43:18 pm »

Then Joke =/= joke anymore.

I prefer != personally.

I just go all out and use the ≠

Do it properly; !≠

Not !≠!!  You'll doom us ALL!!

Great. Now it's caught fire.

What are you guys going on about?

Items in the game which are on fire are listed as !! item !!.
Not-equals in C is !=.
I am not sure where ≠ comes from, possible from ordinary mathematics.  It's been too long since I had that subject.

And now joke != joke again.   :D

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2009, 10:28:57 pm »

≠ is a standard math symbol. != is used as an equivalent for the sake of convenience as very few computers have a ≠ key, so it saves programmers the trouble of remapping their keyboard or punching in an alt code every time.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2009, 11:36:54 am »

≠ is a standard math symbol. != is used as an equivalent for the sake of convenience as very few computers have a ≠ key, so it saves programmers the trouble of remapping their keyboard or punching in an alt code every time.
And some languages use <>.  On top of >, <, >= and <= (the latter two "≥" and "≤", if those characters travel well through the medium of HTML and browser), and some insist on == for comparison rather than the = used for assignment[1], although using := for assignment is another (or additional) option[2].

[1] e.g.
Code: [Select]
unless ($x == $y) { ### This being the exact reverse of an 'if' test
                    ### (although "... != ..." or "!(... == ...)" would have worked or even
                    ###  "until", given we should hit "die" before trying a second loop.)
  print "'\$x' and '\$y' are not equal yet\n";
  if ($x = $y) {
    print "We succesfully assigned value '$y' in variable '\$y' to '\$x'\n"
  } else {
    die "You did something interesting to the '\$x' or '\$y' variable..."
    . "  Normally that would work in Perl (even for 'undef'?) although it will"
    .  " generate a warning if you "use warnings" or otherwise flag them on...\n"
  }
}

[2] e.g.
Code: [Select]
var
  truth: boolean;
  x: integer;
const
  y = 10;
begin
  for x := 0 to 20 do begin
    truth := x=y;
    if truth then begin form1.label1.text := "Guess what, x is equal to y"; sleep(500); end
             else begin form1.label1.text := "Guess what, x is not equal to y"; sleep(100); end
  end;
end;

[X] E&OE for the above code.  Expect typos where it doesn't matter for the example.  Take it as read that I'd wrapped it in an appropriate amount of auxilliary code.  And my Delphi/Pascal cloning is a tad rusty, especially without the as-you-type syntax checker/highlighter. :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 11:38:28 am by Starver »

zzzdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2009, 06:55:34 am »

BTW, that cage should've been made of pitchblende to make it work best.

No, it shouldn't. For your theory to be correct, the cage's material should not hold any significance, as long as it could act as a solitary confinement chamber, to prevent the standard observer (in this case: not the cat), from actually observing the contents of the cage until the given time thereafter. However, the cage SHOULD contain an elaborate rube-goldberg setup that would cause the cat's rather fatal death. "Pitchblende", more formerly known as Uraninite, contains a radioactive isotope, and is not pure itself. Something such as Uranium (with uraninite contains), would be a much better supplement. Other things included would be a Geiger counter, a hammer, and a vial of lethal poison.

Your bad joke isn't even funny. It's insulting.

Nickel Cage of Uncertainty
I lol'd.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:57:25 am by zzzdude »

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2009, 08:33:40 am »

FYI that symbol means "not equal" instead of equal... pretty self explanatory seeing that its an equal sign with a cross through it >_<.

not sure what implication this has on dwarf fortress though... I've never seen it in any of my forts.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2009, 08:35:56 am »

If we had one large enough, evidentally we could use it for a rowboat.  This would enable us to settle islands more easily.   :D :D :D

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2010, 05:45:07 pm »

no, you see, ˆƒ ¥ø¨ ç嘠®´å∂ †˙ˆß ¥ø¨ ß´®ˆø¨ß¬¥ ˜´´∂ å ¬ˆƒ´≥ ˆ ˙å√´ ˜ø†˙ˆ˜© ´¬ß´ †ø å∂∂ ˙´®´≥!
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5