Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random ?s  (Read 10615 times)

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Random ?s
« on: September 03, 2009, 07:50:24 pm »

Woot! A few questions.
So first of all, you need glass cages for a zoo, correct?
Second, does the determined room "zoo" have a quality modifier for its value (do you end up with just zoos, or Fine Zoos, Great Zoos, etc.)?
Third, HOW CAN I PRIORITIZE MY MAYOR'S TRADING LABOR? ARGH.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Random ?s
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 08:05:28 pm »

1. Cage material doesn't matter, though you might want to consider a variety of different materials to maximize how many dwarves enjoy it.

2. Best I know, zoos don't have a quality modifier. The only important thing is the objects inside it (which your dwarves will admire) and the animals (which will comfort your dwarves).

3. Turn off all of his other labors.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 08:32:01 pm »

huh, i was pretty sure all rooms had quality modifiers.  but dwarfs do admire the quality of the individual cages (and statues in a statue garden).  their happy thoughts say things like "admired a fine statue" or "admired a magnificiant animal in a cage" but generally not anything about the larger statue garden or zoo.

glass cages are for fish and such.  im pretty sure they can only be held in / transfered to these, though i could be totally wrong.  havent tested the various possible permutations of this.

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 12:30:45 am »

He has all other labors turned off. I have it set to only broker may trade, and I requested a trader. He is my broker and sits in the meeting zone, with No Job.
He eventually decides to go and trade with them right after the announcement "the traders from X will be leaving soon", but that's cutting it pretty close.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 04:24:39 am »

Set the trading depot to not have the broker requested, wait 5 seconds, then set it to request broker again.

The trading should be top priority after it's requested, but can be pushed down the job list when the dwarf sleeps, eats, sees a party..Etc.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 12:54:40 pm »

huh, i was pretty sure all rooms had quality modifiers.

Nah, not every "make a room" designation seems to create what dwarfs consider a room (ar least not that any dwarf responds to.)   Meeting areas designated from statues, jails designated from cages/chains, these don't show up on the radar either.

The cage, the chain, the statue, the well, these show up whether or not they're "rooms".

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 01:09:02 pm »

I don't really do zoos or statue gardens... I put that stuff in alcoves off the main hallways (for maximum exposure)

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 03:11:20 pm »

What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 03:20:55 pm »

(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.)  :o

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 03:48:26 pm »

Now that was a very nice reply, hope you don't mind if it goes into my sig.
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 05:57:06 pm »

All yours.  ;)