Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Caravan vs. Mer-Camels?  (Read 1663 times)

EnnPeeCee

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitten Inspector
    • View Profile
Caravan vs. Mer-Camels?
« on: September 13, 2009, 03:30:19 am »

Its the only explanation I can think of for it.  I took a look over at a dwarven caravan that had been taking a long time to reach my fort and discovered this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Why would an axe dwarf and a wagon chase camels into a lake?

Update:  The rest of the caravan seems to have fled the map after this incident.  Lovely.  Do I need to install anti-camel defenses now?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 03:32:41 am by EnnPeeCee »

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan vs. Mer-Camels?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 03:33:46 am »

Camels...the new Elephants? Or something worse...something more...devious....Slowly starving a fort by depriving it of resources...Conspiring with the Carp to pick off those foolish enough to stray from their rocky home....We are well and truley doomed if they every figure out how to wield weapons...

EnnPeeCee

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitten Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 03:41:41 am »

Hmm, the dwarf, camel, and horse in the lake aren't drowning, or moving.

Aaaaand now I'm being ambushed by humans leading goblins...

This fort is really starting to confuse me.

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 03:47:26 am »

The humans leading goblins is easily explainable as Humans kidnapped as youngins, and raised in the goblin ways...See the thread about the Dwarven King being an Elf...its around here somewhere...

As for the lake, how many Z tiles Deep is it? As is, their on 6/7 and 7/7 water so they HAVE to be swimming...Maybe they just cant figure out how to path and are just STAYING still...

If you really want to get rid of em, Build a floating walkway over em, the cut it off from support, droping the giant slab of stone on em...that'll get rid of em

EnnPeeCee

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitten Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 03:50:16 am »

They're not really bothering me at the moment.  Nor do I have the dwarf-power to build that far away from my fort safely.  Maybe they'll wash down my lake drain eventually.

Update:  The underwater horse was just struck with melancholy.  Yeah, I'd be depressed in that situation too.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 04:03:44 am by EnnPeeCee »

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 04:10:03 am »

Is that lake in a hole or something, because from what it looks like its surrounded by walls of rock with no way out...If thats the case, make a single stairway out of there and at the least, unless the Axe Dwarves legs are shattered he should crawl out...

EnnPeeCee

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitten Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 04:20:32 am »

There are actually ramps all the way around, a standard lake.  I just happened to take the screenshot when they were blinking off.  Not sure what that dwarf's problem is.  I'm not concerned about it though, it was a caravan guard, not one of mine.

Ashmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 06:06:28 am »

Was the drain active when they got there? Maybe it could be that both camels and caravan got there when they found a 4/7 or lower path through the lake, but got stuck trying to path back out through changing depths.

EnnPeeCee

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitten Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 02:51:20 pm »

Maybe, although I have yet to see that area go below 6/7.

It also doesn't explain the severed camel limbs around the axe dwarf.

Meh, I'll just assume something really exciting happened over there when I wasn't looking.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 03:41:03 pm »

It sounds and looks like something VERY exciting did happen.

I have no idea how things ended up where they are.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Ashmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 04:30:25 pm »

Oh, didn't think about those. I've only played with the default tile sets, and I'm having trouble recognizing stuff that actually looks like stuff in screenshots.

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 05:43:43 pm »

That...Hell, I have no idea WHAT could of happened then...
Something intresting musta happened...

So, any useful goods out there? Or just crap....If good, i still advise the road just to let your dwearves go grab it..Otherwise...*ROCKCRUSH*

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 09:18:38 pm »

I don't know about the wagon, but caravan guards will occasionally decide that [Insert Random Harmless Wildlife Here] is a threat and go slaughter it all.

God only knows how they ended up in the lake though.

EnnPeeCee

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitten Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 02:47:36 am »

From what I saw, there wasn't much of use out there.  Its all swirling around in the lake now anyway.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 08:59:54 pm »

Start up some engravers, sooner or later one will make an engraving about this event. Thats how I learned about the werewolf scaring a wagon off a cliff in an old fort.

At a guess Im gona say your axe dwarf spotted some camels and went after them, after chasing them around abit the camels made a run in the direction of the waggon, causing the wagon to dodge (and thusly scuttle) into the lake, followed shortly be the camel and then the axe dwarf :D

I had a caravan guard in my current fort jump in a pond to kill a sturgeon before drowning hisself. Took awhile for the pond to drain down enough for meto get to the armor :D

Also lakeside forts are fun!
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.
Pages: [1] 2