Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1700990 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #330 on: October 30, 2009, 09:57:55 pm »

I can actually think of a shortcut for profession sprites.  We could do a combination of two things: 1)  Color code them based on profession
So, basically how they're done in vanilla DF. (DF graphics sets allow you to tell it to do this OR use tiles as-is. Might be a nice option to include.)
Oh, ha.  Yeah, I could have been simpler (although I was sort of talking about a bit of a fusion between them).  Guess that's what happens when I don't take my ADHD meds.  Sorry about that.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 30, 2009, 10:09:59 pm »

I don't think I mentioned it yet but this is an awesome visualiser.  It won't do large aboveground projects as well as the full 3D ones, but it seems much better  for the underground.  The sprite use also brings a sense of nostalgia that I would have liked from some other visualisers.

For the facing thing 1 sprite that is simply flipped when facing the other way would work nicely. But from what I'm aware DF itself only actually bothers with that kinda stuff when it comes down to combat.  So even if a way could be found to identify the how DF stores that, it could very well never be changed while moving around normally and not work for what we want anyway.  So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

And I'm not entirely certain what to classify this as but shops don't appear to be recognized at all currently.  No yellow box, just the ground underneath it.  Just figured I would mention this since it's something that requires a mature fort to really notice.

And I'm surprised nobody bothered to make an obsidian floor tile yet.  Magma areas look bizarre with the yellow defaulto tile, instead of obsidian floor.

Still awesome visualiser, keep up the good work!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 30, 2009, 10:42:11 pm »

Ok, so I think I'm going to go ahead and put these down for now.  Hopefully there is still time to get them into tomorrows release.

I think next I will do levers on/off, windmills, waterwheels, millstones, and finally screwpumps.  I'm saving screwpumps for last since I believe it's going to give me the most grief to get looking acceptable.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 30, 2009, 10:53:49 pm »

I think next I will do levers on/off, windmills, waterwheels, millstones, and finally screwpumps.  I'm saving screwpumps for last since I believe it's going to give me the most grief to get looking acceptable.

If it helps, I think the screw is supposed to be inside the pipe.  So honestly you could probably just draw a block with a pipe sticking out of it, although I guess you still have to draw four of them.  The linkages look excellent, by the way.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 30, 2009, 11:04:11 pm »

Ok updated linkage test.
Any more feedback?
I was about to ask for something on magenta, but you ninja'd me...
[Edit: looks like jonask already added the new ones, too]

Screwpumps are going to be problematic for a while, because we cannot detect directionality yet. We can make some extrapolations from other nearby buildings, but at best we have dont know whether we are painting em back to front.

Stick 2 screw pumps side by side and we have no idea at all

(axles face a similar problem, but at least they dont have 2 identical but opposite configurations- if an axle has more than one tile, then we have a good chance of getting it right)

Also, we cannot detect building state yet (although obviously we prefer *having* both lever states etc before we need em)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 11:09:07 pm by kaypy »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 30, 2009, 11:11:35 pm »

Screwpumps are going to be problematic for a while, because we cannot detect directionality yet. We can make some extrapolations from other nearby buildings, but at best we have dont know whether we are painting em back to front.

It should be possible to deduce the orientation from the occupancy flags, right?  Since only one of the pump tiles is passable?  I have no idea what info dfhack provides, so maybe it's more complicated than that.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 11:15:55 pm by Footkerchief »

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 30, 2009, 11:31:51 pm »

I think next I will do levers on/off, windmills, waterwheels, millstones, and finally screwpumps.

If you need it for eg windmills, it is possible (with some hackery at this end) to make a building sprite taller than it ought to be. It risks having some things look funny later, but if the alternative is the sprite looking funny all the time, then we can superimpose some image chunks for additional height.

With multitile buildings, each tile needs to be it own separate image. (actually, you can break things down further than that- I do the workshops with one 'bench' image and a bunch of different 'stuff on the bench' images)

Its similar to what you have already done with the axles, so shouldn't be anything new, really...

It should be possible to deduce the orientation from the occupancy flags, right?  Since only one of the pump tiles is passable?  I have no idea what info dfhack provides, so maybe it's more complicated than that.

Hmm. May be possible, but still isnt going to get us the whole way:

Consider screw pumps side by side:
Code: [Select]
<<
>>
vs
Code: [Select]
^v
^v

Hmm. Although currently we look at neighbors by type, I have already got reasons to want an 'is the neighbor part of the same actual building' (Currently I can't tell two bridges side by side from one big bridge)

That plus occupancy flags might start getting interesting.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 30, 2009, 11:58:00 pm »

An attempt at a cage- I'm not entirely happy with this one. Maybe more of a birdcage shape might work.

Given the rather varied backgrounds, things without distinct borders have a tendency to wind up rather camoflaged.

Keep trying though, the cage I currently have is visible, but rather ugly. There is definitely room for improvement. (Its birdcage style, but comes out at clunky (except the terrariums, which are scaled up versions of your glass box))

I may try playing with your cage and try to see if I can push the dark areas out to become a border- see it that makes it show up better...

We just got the ability to display buildings and creatures in midair, though, so theres some completely undone buildings that could really use de-yellowboxing if I can get em in before this release 8-)

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 31, 2009, 12:01:45 am »

If someone want some self inflicted anguish a challenge:

catapults and ballistas

In nine separate tiles, thanks 8-)
« Reply #339 on: October 31, 2009, 01:01:01 am »

These are at least better outlined.
Here's some further revisions. I'm just not sure if the 4 opening ones look too much like windows or not, but other than that they seem pretty good.
-all black bars.

My other idea was possibly a hanging cage, but I don't really feel that fits in with the normal use in DF.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 31, 2009, 01:17:32 am »

These are at least better outlined.
Here's some further revisions. I'm just not sure if the 4 opening ones look too much like windows or not, but other than that they seem pretty good.
Hmm. Yeah the 4 openings seem a little... open...

I'll grab those top two unless/until you come up with another batch 8-)
My other idea was possibly a hanging cage, but I don't really feel that fits in with the normal use in DF.
Yeah. Having them as hanging in a single tile would be a little challenging, too...

Oh, do you have access to the up-to-date objects.png file? You may want to look at tweaking the glass terrariums, too...
[edit: Although it may be best not to get too carried away on glass stuff until we get transparency]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 01:26:14 am by kaypy »
« Reply #341 on: October 31, 2009, 01:45:29 am »

I don't have the up to date file. Where can I get it?

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 31, 2009, 02:13:00 am »

The project is up on code.google.com

This makes it available for SVN download (Anyone who can set up a compiler can build up-to-the-minute versions of the program).

That wont help folks that arent comfortable with SVN or compiling programs, but:

(1) There is a web interface to the repository

Go to http://code.google.com/p/stonesense/source/browse/ and you have a view of what you would get if you did an SVN checkout.

From there, go into the trunk area via the links on the left, and you will get a list of files including the object.png file.

You can also get at the configuration files from the trunk/buildings area.

Note that changes made on developers machines wont show up until we upload them, so, for example, I have set up your cages here, but I havent got them as far as googlecode quite yet (especially this close to release, I need to be careful not to conflict with anything Jonask is doing)

(2) We are making the software configurable, so you wont need to recompile it to add more sprites. With the exception of changes to the configuration format, downloading additional sprite data via the web interface will be enough to get new objects (once we get this release with the configuration stuff done)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 31, 2009, 02:59:07 am »

Try making the cage with just vertical side bars, no middle bar splitting it in two. Might look a bit more cagey.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 31, 2009, 03:47:57 am »

You're probably going to need building state for seige engine direction too.
Aren't (horizontal) axles also the same building either way?

And if you can't read building state, how do you deal with (raised/retracted) bridges?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 379