Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 380

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1214879 times)

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread - New version out, june 7th
« Reply #3285 on: June 09, 2010, 10:47:59 am »

Having some troubles with getting Stonsense to work. It immediately crashes after putting it on and getting the "Connecting to DF" screen. All previous versions have worked just fine for me. This is with the 0.31.05 and second release canditate of Stonesense on an XP machine.

Gabriel A. Zorrilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zorrilla.me
« Reply #3286 on: June 10, 2010, 12:18:10 am »

Same problem here. Installed the latest DF version and stays in "connecting to DF". Win XP.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #3287 on: June 10, 2010, 02:28:15 am »

belannaer,  Zorrilla: Thanks for letting us know. It's strange that it used to work with previous versions...

Does the new Slate work with older versions of DF for you, or is it just .05?

Also, do the dfHack tools work at all? I would have linked them, but the dfHack thread was deleted so I'm a little lost.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: June 10, 2010, 02:38:43 am »

Pretty sure I know what the problem is - the legacy version and the Baughn version of DF are considered different versions by SS, and legacy isn't supported. I've been using the legacy versions and couldn't get anything working, but testing the non-legacy I was. Try grabbing one of those and transferring the save over.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: June 10, 2010, 02:41:28 am »

I figured that would be obvious... that different versions are considered different versions.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: June 10, 2010, 02:42:20 am »

Well, when the release just says "works with 31.05" it doesn't say "only OpenGL 05 and not legacy 05," so it's worth mentioning.

Japa

• Bay Watcher
  • Spoopy time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: June 10, 2010, 03:45:03 am »

Memory.xml

ahoy! use this file to connect with DF 0.31.06

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #3292 on: June 10, 2010, 04:27:30 am »

Memory.xml

ahoy! use this file to connect with DF 0.31.06
The SDL version to be specific.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: June 10, 2010, 04:57:14 am »

SDL version of 31.06 (custom tileset and RAW if it makes any difference) and Stonesense RC2 from previous page + Memory.xml from Japa post
window XP

Starting the program, press F9 as requested and "Connecting to DF" is up for a second or two, then disappear and the stonesense window stay entirely black, the program seems frozen, can only kill it with CTRL+ALT+DEL

never tried Stonesense with any DF2010 version, but when i was playing with 40dx the corresponding versions of Stonesense worked for me.

Japa

• Bay Watcher
  • Spoopy time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: June 10, 2010, 05:37:27 am »

what does your stonesense.log say?  have you tried other graphics modes? what videocard do you have?

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: June 10, 2010, 09:23:46 am »

A man can dream  :)

Just a fun mockup, more info about the interface here. Sorry for this little advertisement.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Clockworkpersona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: June 10, 2010, 11:13:54 am »

A man can dream  :)

Just a fun mockup, more info about the interface here. Sorry for this little advertisement.

This is amazing! Is this really so hard to do right now? I mean we already have utilities like DFmanager, that communicate with the game.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: June 10, 2010, 11:54:01 am »

In theory, making a GUI shell to run with DF is entirely possible. The question isn't whether we can do it, though, but whether we should.

1) Many of the menus can't be read or interpreted, at least not without an extensive expansion of DFhack. Thus, much of the game information can't be reported.

2) Tarn has expressed specific reservations about this sort of thing, and for good reason. We can't match pace with his development, and it takes a significant ammount of time and effort to update DFHack, and Stonesense, for each new release. A lot of things change behind the scenes with each release.

3) Assuming that this hypothetical GUI would be pretty, shiney, and more user-friendly, Players may come to regard it as the "proper" interface for DF, which it is not. This could potentially harm Tarn's development process, and/or his drive to work on things... especially since he doesn't want this to evolve into anything resembling a collaboration. Personally, I can understand his perspective, and really don't want that to happen, because he's putting a lot into this.

It's been discussed before. I think that theoretically it would be a nice idea, but unless Tarn were to give an explicit "Go Ahead," I would personally not feel comfortable having my work used in such a program.

--
EDIT: Speaking of my work, guys... ermmm... would Japa or Jonas or Peter or whoever care to direct me toward what graphical assets y'all need? I think I've sabatacled long enough, and I seem to have lost my old list. >.<;
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:56:45 am by Solifuge »
[ISG] Ashwood Cross | LD Jam Games | Tweet

Quote from: Sonnet: Against Entropy
Regret, by definition, comes too late;
Say what you mean. Bear witness. Iterate.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: June 10, 2010, 02:55:13 pm »

what does your stonesense.log say?  have you tried other graphics modes? what videocard do you have?

Unfortunately the log is not really going into detail (as i said, it does not crash maybe that's why the log does not really go into details, it seems just frozen into a black screen after the Connecting to DF part).
Stonesense launched
Using allegro version 4.9.20 r0
4096 is too large. chopping it.
2048 works.

But i think it may be the OpenGL version on this new Stonesense evolution, because the card on that system is a g31/g33 (gma 3100) on a XP SP3, and is running opengl version 1.4 , there is no OpenGL 2.0 support in any Intel drivers for that card, apparently Intel forgot that OpenGL was an ever evoluting API and did not stop at version 1.4.

This seems confirmed by a change to DirectX in the init.txt, that suddenly made Stonesense to work, thanks for pointing to me the render change hint.

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: June 10, 2010, 04:39:40 pm »

Unfortunately the log is not really going into detail (as i said, it does not crash maybe that's why the log does not really go into details, it seems just frozen into a black screen after the Connecting to DF part).
Stonesense launched
Using allegro version 4.9.20 r0
4096 is too large. chopping it.
2048 works.

Mine actually totally crashes and doesn't just freeze up and the log still says the same thing only.

But i think it may be the OpenGL version on this new Stonesense evolution, because the card on that system is a g31/g33 (gma 3100) on a XP SP3, and is running opengl version 1.4 , there is no OpenGL 2.0 support in any Intel drivers for that card, apparently Intel forgot that OpenGL was an ever evoluting API and did not stop at version 1.4.

This seems confirmed by a change to DirectX in the init.txt, that suddenly made Stonesense to work, thanks for pointing to me the render change hint.

I tried change the renders to both DirectX and software and none of them had any help. Still crashes as usual.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 380