Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d16] Water not draining through aquifier layer floor  (Read 1466 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
[40d16] Water not draining through aquifier layer floor
« on: October 16, 2009, 10:31:51 am »

I was digging a shaft of alternating up/down stairs from deep to the surface, and dug a downstairs into the layer below an aquifier, causing a terrible flood. I sealed the area, saving the fort, but left the designation that was digging down from the surface there. After a little while, a dwarf dug an upstairs into the aquifier level itself from above. The upstairs square filled with water, as expected. What I didn't expect is that this carved upstairs is water-tight, as water isn't leaking out of the bottom of it into the square below, like it was before the tile was carved out.

To recap:
Downstairs below an aquifier: huge leak
Upstairs in the aquifier layer: leak stops

Is this expected?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] Water not draining through aquifier layer floor
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 10:35:55 am »

From what I have heard, I think this is normal aquifer behavior. Not having actual experience with aquifers though, I could be wrong on this.

Aquifers are known to have some strange behavior though, so.....

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:36:40 pm »

is the aquifer draining into another aquifer?

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 09:21:21 am »

is the aquifer draining into another aquifer?
No, water was coming out the bottom of the aquifer fine until I dug into the top of it.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.