Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 135155 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2009, 01:17:37 pm »

Any more comments on my mafias?

Would definitely in on the Aztec one; don't know about the other, since you haven't mentioned it much.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2009, 01:57:49 pm »

15 min days. 15 min nights.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2009, 02:01:06 pm »

Erm... no, sorry.  I feel like that removes most of the point of playing Mafia on a forum.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2009, 02:03:21 pm »

hehehe

it was a joke

Erm... no, sorry.  I feel like that removes most of the point of playing Mafia on a forum.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2009, 02:10:15 pm »

hehehe

it was a joke

NEW GOAL: learn how to find out when people are joking ._.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2009, 02:15:42 pm »

hehehe

it was a joke

NEW GOAL: learn how to find out when people are joking ._.
It only works IRL

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2009, 11:06:44 am »

How about a generic forum mafia that is ridiculously mind-numbingly meta, consisting of a game within a game?
Each person is assigned two roles, one their mafia role, the other their 'forum' role.

Mafia roles would be the standard, vig/cop/doctor/townie/godfather. The 'forum' role would consist of their OOC role; e.g., "Meta analyzer", a cop with a chance to figure out someone's alignment. Perhaps a "Lurker" role which is forced to limit their posts, a "Troll" role, capable of causing someone to ragequit(/be eliminated) if someone responds with a large (>400?) words directed specifically at them. Masons who are 'buddies' that communicate outside of the thread, new players who must change their vote at least 4 times per day, etc. All of these roles would be assigned independently of the 'game' roles.

There's nothing really unique about it, so obviously it needs to be fleshed out more. It's just a whimsical idea I entertained for a few minutes, really, and it may or may not have potential.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2009, 11:08:07 am »

So kinda like Bay 12 Mafia only with forum archetypes and post limitations?

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2009, 03:54:46 pm »

As someone who ran a game within a game, I'd say it's actually very messy.  The players easily get caught up in the 'second game' and forget about the original.

i.e. I snuck in a Roll to Dodge aspect within a mafia game and everyone forgot the mafia game and played RtD.  Once I fussed at them a bit they then ignored the second game and went back to mafia. 

Having secondary roles can work, but a mafia game should be a mafia game I think.

Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2009, 05:39:29 pm »

I think I'm scrapping that idea; I took it to its logical conclusion and it was quite messy (think something similar to Parallel World mafia, except not parallel. The users would attempt to find and ban the trolls in one thread, while the other thread would continue as a normal game of mafia -- with the same people, of course... *end rambling*)

Of course, that's completely different from what I originally intended; what I originally suggested was more akin to a normal mafia game with unique roles.

Here are some of the roles I had considered before giving up:

Newb (T, M) - Every day, one of your posts must contain one of the following: OMGUS, rolefishing, bandwagoning (with no reason). The content of aforementioned post must be less than 30 words.

Vengeful Newb (T) - You must OMGUS the first person to vote you each day. You may not remove your vote from them until they apologize for suspecting you.

Grammar Nazi (T, M) - If you find a grammar or spelling error in someone's post, you may write a post attacking them for it. Their action will be redirected to you for the night.

Explosive (T, unaligned) - If you ever get more than three votes on you, ALL YOUR POSTS MUST BE IN CAPS AND CONTAIN EGREGIOUS INSULTS DIRECTED TOWARD THE PEOPLE VOTING FOR YOU. YOU REQUIRE EXTRA VOTES TO BE LYNCHED.

Vengeful Veteran (T, M, unaligned) - You hate it when people vote you. Why won't they just listen to you!? The first person to vote you becomes your lynchee. You must lynch them as well as fulfill your primary victory condition to win.

etc, etc.
Most of them would only work in a closed-role setup anyway.

But onto better things:
Has anyone tried a post restriction mafia before, loaded with roles that have various post restrictions on them but is otherwise completely normal?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2009, 05:41:34 pm »

Explosive (T, unaligned) - If you ever get more than three votes on you, ALL YOUR POSTS MUST BE IN CAPS AND CONTAIN EGREGIOUS INSULTS DIRECTED TOWARD THE PEOPLE VOTING FOR YOU. YOU REQUIRE EXTRA VOTES TO BE LYNCHED.

Harhar.

But onto better things:
Has anyone tried a post restriction mafia before, loaded with roles that have various post restrictions on them but is otherwise completely normal?

Haven't.  I wanted to, though.  It was going to have iambic pentameter, haiku, biblical anaphor, and trochees.

Then I realized that was in fact a really bad idea.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2009, 05:43:10 pm »

I considered it, but dismissed it after BYOR Mafia 1 (desu).  Although keeping a verbal tic was susprisingly effective in drawing attention away from myself...

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2009, 07:09:11 pm »

I LIKE a lot of those roles actually.  Scrapping the game a whole is fine if it's hard to do right, but keep those roles in your back pocket for later. 

i.e. Newb is a post restriction I can stand behind, since it's not THAT restrictive.

Vengeful Newb, a small change: instead of apologizing, make it so that the person must unvote you before you remove your vote.  THEN make it so that the OMGUS vote is a DOUBLE vote (so if I'm a VN, Litia votes for me, I OMGUS her, she now has 2 votes on her until she unvotes me)

Grammar Nazi - meh since 'redirected to you' = 'magnet' which is a negative role.  Instead do the reverse: if any person you Nazi targets you, their action will be blocked.

LOVE Explosive-it's similar to Pandarsenic's role in Toon Mafia 5 though more insane.

VV - OMG ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!

Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2009, 07:36:23 pm »

An alternative to the Grammar Nazi would be:

Language Nazi (SK)

You automatically kill the first person to make a grammatical or spelling error in a post, this includes things like TXT and other bastardized language forms, but not acronyms. You win when everyone else is dead.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 108