Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204003 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1065 on: January 31, 2010, 05:32:28 pm »

Dwarf Fortress isn't in beta yet. It's still an alpha. :P
Yeah. When it becomes beta, it will be the game of the next century, see?

Also no team of coders can surpass Toady. If he needs more manpower he'll simply duplicate himself through sheer force of will.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: January 31, 2010, 05:47:31 pm »

Wait a second...
We need Toady to code a clone of himself into a computer...
Then instruct that clone to create other clones....
Then we can have an infinite number of Toady's to work on DF!!!

This game will be done in no time...

What language is the game coded in anyways?

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: January 31, 2010, 05:48:45 pm »

English.

/duck
I'd do that, but I don't think dwarves have words for "fair" or "logical".

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: January 31, 2010, 05:58:37 pm »

English.

/duck

I meant programming language....

/facepalm

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: January 31, 2010, 07:02:22 pm »

Searching for "encrust spike" gets me a bunch of "Your best artifact ever" threads so...

How do I encrust a menacing spike with gems? It's for one of my three special execution chambers, it needs to be practical (it's steel) but flashy. The only options the jeweler's workshop gives me are "Encrust furniture", "Encrust ammo" and "Encrust finished goods".

I haven't yet tried locking my legendary gem setter in a room with the workshop and the spike, but... it's not furniture, nor is it ammo, nor is it a finished good.

I r confus.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: January 31, 2010, 07:15:34 pm »

I got one.

Caged dragon. it was gonna be tamed into a WAR DRAGON OF ULTIMATE DOOM! MWAAHAHAHAHAA!
*ahem* but then we ran into a problem, wherin it killed a cow.

I know if it kills a dwarf it will become an enemy or whatever, and will never be tamable. ever. And I know that if it hasn't killed a dwarf, this is gonna be the most awesome fort ever.

So the question is: Does the cow count? can I still tame it, or will I need to do something else... like magma...
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: January 31, 2010, 07:22:16 pm »

If it's untameable, you can always build a long extension from your fortress with a 3x4 room at the end (walled off), then make a bridge in the middle, then make an extension above that and dump the dragon in so that you can retract the bridge and drop fiery death upon your enemies...

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: January 31, 2010, 07:26:05 pm »

I got one. Caged dragon.

I always thought that this was sort of an offhand "what if", aimed at mocking the sheer ridiculousness of the idea of catching a dragon (especially given the note saying "this has not been tested yet"), but you seem to have done it, and this idea is pretty elegant.

Code: [Select]
╔═╗ <- walls
║D║ <- dragon (build the cage, link to a lever and release when ready)
╬╬╬ <- fortifications
XXX <- floodgates (linked to lever)
___ <- channel

Something like this I imagine. Why tame when you can handle invaders and immigrants with the same beast?
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: January 31, 2010, 07:32:38 pm »

I was hoping for something a bit more... mobile. As it is, I think I'll give it a shot. if it tries to kill someone, a new row of cage traps shall recapture him, enabling me to chuck him into my arena-pit for goblin prisoners... muhuhahaha.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: January 31, 2010, 07:35:44 pm »

Well, you can always build more than one of these things and shuttle the dragon between them as necessary. Or capture more dragons ;D

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: January 31, 2010, 07:38:53 pm »

This "Capture more dragons" idea intrigues me... and then my dragons shall all fight, and the winner will get... I don't know. something really cool, though.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: January 31, 2010, 07:41:26 pm »

I got one.

Caged dragon. it was gonna be tamed into a WAR DRAGON OF ULTIMATE DOOM! MWAAHAHAHAHAA!
*ahem* but then we ran into a problem, wherin it killed a cow.

I know if it kills a dwarf it will become an enemy or whatever, and will never be tamable. ever. And I know that if it hasn't killed a dwarf, this is gonna be the most awesome fort ever.

So the question is: Does the cow count? can I still tame it, or will I need to do something else... like magma...

I forget where... it might be the facepalm thread....   But there was someone who caged a dragon.  And tamed it.  And used it to defend the fortress. 

And yes, they'll use the breath weapon.  And yes, the breath weapon is capable of friendly fire...(pun obviously not intentional). 

So be careful if you do tame it.   They will go after anything, and things will burn.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 31, 2010, 07:45:07 pm »

Heh. Yeah, unlike NetHack, tame dragons in Dwarf Fortress DO breathe fire. Although the fact that it's technically tame apparently doesn't do you much good after it roasts its first friendly. Also don't forget to roof the pillbox, unless I'm very much mistaken dragons fly...

Also, update on my quest to make a blingin' spike o' doom: did the solitary confinement trick, and it still doesn't work. Yet the "Unfortunate accident" article on the wiki clearly suggests a "nice masterwork steel spike encrusted with rubies". :-\

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: January 31, 2010, 07:54:54 pm »

wiki clearly suggests a "nice masterwork steel spike encrusted with rubies".

Seems like whoever wrote that has been talking out of their ass. That sort of thing happens both here and on the wiki, so caveat emptor.

And I'm sorry to say, but apparently you aren't immune to this "talking out of one's ass" phenomenon either:

Or capture more dragons

Most of the time, you're lucky to see one dragon in a fort's lifetime. That sort of suggestion is unhelpful and unrealistic in that there apparently is little you can do to make more dragons show up.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:59:04 pm by assimilateur »

kelumhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: January 31, 2010, 07:59:33 pm »

Is there any way to fill buckets with water

is there any way to get my dwarfs to manually move water from A to B?
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 181