Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204028 times)

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1080 on: January 31, 2010, 08:02:20 pm »

Is there any way to fill buckets with water

is there any way to get my dwarfs to manually move water from A to B?

channel out the area you want filled, then use a pit/pond zone over the lip of it. (i + p) designate it as pond, and your dwarves will automatically fill it.
Or you could use a floodgate on your river to greatly reduce the chances of flooding your fort... emphasis on greatly reduce.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: January 31, 2010, 08:05:52 pm »

ad.1. Buckets will get filled as needed, i.e. when you have a bedridden dwarf who's thirsty, someone will pick up a bucket, fill it with water and give it to the patient. I know of no way to store water in buckets beforehand.

ad.2. Designate a water source zone at point A (though I don't think that's a guarantee that they will use that water source, they might take water from wherever they please) and designate a pond zone over (as in, literally 1 level above) point B.

Steev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: January 31, 2010, 08:33:03 pm »

I've just had a dwarf taken by a secretive mood, they want turtle shells, wood, and metal bars, but the problem isn't that I don't have turtles, it's just that nobody is eating them, I've forbidden every other food except for the turtles but I'm not sure how long it will take until someone gets hungry, is there anyway to force them to eat?

How long do moods last before they go berserk?

And I also don't have any metal bars, when I try to melt some they just disappear, I've smelted down both a copper and bronze pick in hopes of getting any bars, but there's no job to haul any metal bars to the Bar/Block stockpile, and when checking the building with (t) it only shows

obsidian (B)

The guy is gonna be my smith but he has no prior experience, but it's my second Autumn so I guess I could hold out until the Caravan arrives.
For a greater challenge, try doing that with a globin outpost. I will someday
Seriously, man. If I ever see you misspell 'goblin' again I am going to find and kill you.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: January 31, 2010, 08:49:56 pm »

no you cant, or you could make a new food stockpile inside a room and station a dwarf there...

e.g.

Code: [Select]
########
#......#
#......#
#......#
#......#
#......#
###DD###

. = stockpile
d= door
# = wall

Make the stockpile food and only accept turtles, and make your main stockpile not allow turtles.
then actiave a dwarf and station it in the room, then unactivate it, once it gets hungry it should eat a turtle and taadaa...

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: January 31, 2010, 08:54:08 pm »

channel out the area you want filled, then use a pit/pond zone over the lip of it. (i + p) designate it as pond, and your dwarves will automatically fill it.
Or you could use a floodgate on your river to greatly reduce the chances of flooding your fort... emphasis on greatly reduce.

Notice that the emphasis is not on eliminate, but reduce.  :-) 

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: January 31, 2010, 09:09:15 pm »

I've just had a dwarf taken by a secretive mood, they want turtle shells, wood, and metal bars, but the problem isn't that I don't have turtles, it's just that nobody is eating them, I've forbidden every other food except for the turtles but I'm not sure how long it will take until someone gets hungry, is there anyway to force them to eat?

And I also don't have any metal bars, when I try to melt some they just disappear, I've smelted down both a copper and bronze pick in hopes of getting any bars, but there's no job to haul any metal bars to the Bar/Block stockpile, and when checking the building with (t) it only shows

obsidian (B)

The guy is gonna be my smith but he has no prior experience, but it's my second Autumn so I guess I could hold out until the Caravan arrives.
++[Enter]

Vertical bars. They require metal materials, so when you choose to build one it asks to know what material you want to use. So it lists all metal materials you have.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: January 31, 2010, 09:10:09 pm »

Searching for "encrust spike" gets me a bunch of "Your best artifact ever" threads so...

How do I encrust a menacing spike with gems? It's for one of my three special execution chambers, it needs to be practical (it's steel) but flashy. The only options the jeweler's workshop gives me are "Encrust furniture", "Encrust ammo" and "Encrust finished goods".

I haven't yet tried locking my legendary gem setter in a room with the workshop and the spike, but... it's not furniture, nor is it ammo, nor is it a finished good.

I r confus.

You can't. The wiki article in question is rated D for Dwarf, and should not be taken literally. Menacing spikes are weapons/trap components and not furniture.
Also, decorations are random, essentially. You might get spikes, or bands, or rings, or an image.
You can, however, stud it with metal.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: January 31, 2010, 09:22:23 pm »

They don't necessarily go berserk; they'll go berserk, melancholy (which makes them simply move incredibly slowly and suicidal), or run around babbling (which makes them run around, throwing their clothes around until they're naked, then they continue to run around until they die of starvation/thirst/whatever). It usually takes about a month of idleness to make a mood fail and the dwarf go crazy.

A
nd I also don't have any metal bars, when I try to melt some they just disappear, I've smelted down both a copper and bronze pick in hopes of getting any bars, but there's no job to haul any metal bars to the Bar/Block stockpile, and when checking the building with (t) it only shows
This behavior is due to how melting a metal object works. When you melt a metal object, it stores 1/10th of the item's material size in that smelter (which varies from item to item). When a full bar of a metal is producted, it shows up, but before that it is hidden.

So, the smelter in which you melted those two picks has 40% of a copper bar and 40% of a bronze bar stored in it. Melt 2 more picks of the appropriate metals at that smelter and you'll get a full bar. Note that I specify "at that smelter;" the stored material is not shared across different buildings, and is lost if you deconstruct the smelter. Incidentally, the wiki's article on melting gives a list of how much of a bar each item gives back when melted.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: January 31, 2010, 09:38:23 pm »

Ok here's what's happened.
1. build granite wall
2. wall blocks placement for other granite wall
3. destroy first wall
4. build second
5. first cannot be re-built because of the leftover granite sitting there...

Whenever I designate this granite rock to be dumped, my dwarves step on top off it, then back off like it's forbidden, but it isn't...

What is the problem here?

kelumhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: January 31, 2010, 11:29:23 pm »

thanks Urist McOverlord, assimilateur, and happydog23 for your quick replys

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: January 31, 2010, 11:35:51 pm »

1. build granite wall
3. destroy first wall
4. build second

Whenever I designate this granite rock to be dumped, my dwarves step on top off it, then back off like it's forbidden, but it isn't...

From the sound of it, that rock might already be tasked by someone who's not currently on the job or something. It might also be some random bug, because it sure as hell looks like that whenever I have a similar problem. What I'd do is just cancel that wall, leave the rock designated for dumping, and wait. According to my experience, it will get moved eventually.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: February 01, 2010, 12:23:02 am »

(another mispost, ignore this post)
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: February 01, 2010, 12:26:29 am »

1. build granite wall
3. destroy first wall
4. build second

Rock is tasked. Remove the dump designation, and it'll get used.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: February 01, 2010, 12:54:14 am »

Regarding shells, something I do when I want them NOW is to get them off a stockpile and forbid them (preferably outside, though I'm not sure if it makes any difference). They rot to bones and shell in short order. I'm pretty sure that I did get this to work in a fortress with no fishing set up beforehand. That was with raw turtles; I don't know if they rot more quickly than the prepared ones.

Edit: apparently not. I just left some raw and prepared turtle outside and they both took 34 days to produce shells.

Edit again, just for the hell of it: Same indoors, 34 days for both.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 01:43:50 am by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: February 01, 2010, 01:31:02 am »

Regarding shells, something I do when I want them NOW is to get them off a stockpile and forbid them (preferably outside, though I'm not sure if it makes any difference). They rot to bones and shell in short order. I'm pretty sure that I did get this to work in a fortress with no fishing set up beforehand. That was with raw turtles; I don't know if they rot more quickly than the prepared ones.

Edit: apparently not. I just left some raw and prepared turtle outside and they both took 34 days to produce shells.

I know my personal strategy is to embark with 10-15 shell bearing creatures, and then ensure that every caravan that comes departs without any shell bearing food. 

I keep stockpiles that are shells only, and don't make anything that uses shells... they are specifically for moods.  It's a little overkill, but I've never run out of shells since I started doing this.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 181