Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204679 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1095 on: February 01, 2010, 01:48:03 am »

Usually I do embark with all that stuff and hoard shells until I've got dozens, but I made a couple of test fortresses recently and forgot to turn off moods (also, accidents do happen). Since I was testing out Dwarf Companion I'm not sure why I didn't just get rid of the mood. Curiosity, maybe?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: February 01, 2010, 02:05:54 pm »

How thick do my walls have to be to prevent vermin teleporting through it?

gopher dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: February 01, 2010, 03:15:40 pm »

Howdy, howdy!

Another IMPORTANT question from this guy right here.

So I've tunneled my way to an underground pool I found and I set up some doors (for security purposes; keeping dwarfs and animals out of the pool when I don't want them) and I've set up a plethora of cage traps out in the hall. I have so far caught: two snakemen, and a frogman. Along with two goblins and a naked mole dog (one male, no hope for a breeding population
D: ).

MY QUESTIONS:
Will dwarfs still stop to admire my zoo, even though it is filled mostly with beastmen and two goblins?

Will more naked mole dogs migrate into my area? I really want to farm them.

I have a herd of camels outside, busy being camels. Can I tame them like regular animal? Or are camels considered "exotic"?

I have a few giant cave swallows flying around; they've torn up some of my dwarfs and one donkey actually. How can I catch a giant cave swallow?

I've noticed a few strange beastmen called cave swallowmen. I looked up their game data on the wiki and it says the have babies. Will my swallow beastmen have kids? Or are all beastmen bugged to not reproduce?

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: February 01, 2010, 04:52:42 pm »

How long will it take for a dwarf to go insane if they are locked in a zoo filled with animals they hate?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1099 on: February 01, 2010, 04:56:29 pm »

The teleporting abilities of vermin cannot be stopped.  Not even a hundred tiles of adamantium can stop them from getting through,..
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: February 01, 2010, 06:02:34 pm »

The teleporting abilities of vermin cannot be stopped.  Not even a hundred tiles of adamantium can stop them from getting through,..

But if you're extremely patient Martin was able to completely exterminate them on his map in the process of training Morul to legendary in dwarf.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: February 01, 2010, 06:21:46 pm »

When you are forming your fortress party of 7 dwarves. Is it possible to defer purchases of items and use that money for skills? I cannot seem to see how, and it really doesn't make sense that you could, but I thought I read something on wiki that hinted at that.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: February 01, 2010, 06:32:54 pm »

You can only spend so many points on embark skills anyway. Ten point allocations, enough to get ten skills to novice or two to proficient.

At most, this can cost 490 points at embark. (It takes 35 points to reach proficient in one skill, and it can be done twice for 70 per dwarf.)

To remove items to spend them on skills, you need to switch to the items portion of the 'prepare your embark carefully' screen, and hit '-' until the item disappears from the list.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: February 01, 2010, 06:37:50 pm »

I'm having trouble with storing some stuff. I've set up a custom stockpile for bones, skulls and shells so that turtle shells and other useful bits from my Fisher's Workshop can be stored, there's a few bits in the stockpile already but i can still see a lot of these items outside my fort. There's room on the stockpile so I don't know why my dorfs aren't going and fetching them in. Some of them with hauler tags on are just milling around, I even tried designating the same area as a garbage dump and dump tagging each of the bones/shells outside that I wanted them to bring in, and allow dwarfs outside is on, but they still won't go fetch. Any ideas?

edit: Ah, I figured it out, I hadn't set gather refuse from outside to 'on'.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 07:01:54 pm by Spong »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: February 01, 2010, 06:59:17 pm »

I'm having trouble with storing some stuff. I've set up a custom stockpile for bones, skulls and shells so that turtle shells and other useful bits from my Fisher's Workshop can be stored, there's a few bits in the stockpile already but i can still see a lot of these items outside my fort. There's room on the stockpile so I don't know why my dorfs aren't going and fetching them in. Some of them with hauler tags on are just milling around, I even tried designating the same area as a garbage dump and dump tagging each of the bones/shells outside that I wanted them to bring in, and allow dwarfs outside is on, but they still won't go fetch. Any ideas?
I know exactly what is wrong.

In the (o)rders screen, there is the (r)efuse submenu. In that submenu, there will be a place labeled "Dwarves ignore refuse from outside." Hit the associated key, which I don't remember what it is at the moment, and it will switch to "Dwarves gather refuse from outside." That will fix your problem.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: February 01, 2010, 07:02:32 pm »

Thanks :) - ninja'd that answer in there just as I figured it out myself :D

Steev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: February 01, 2010, 07:03:25 pm »

How do I get my military dwarfs to wear things like Steel Helms or Steel Boots?
For a greater challenge, try doing that with a globin outpost. I will someday
Seriously, man. If I ever see you misspell 'goblin' again I am going to find and kill you.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: February 01, 2010, 07:07:20 pm »

THIS JUST IN: BRACE FOR TL;DR

Most of the time, you're lucky to see one dragon in a fort's lifetime. That sort of suggestion is unhelpful and unrealistic in that there apparently is little you can do to make more dragons show up.

Oooookay. Thanks for the clarification and all, but allow me to respectfully point out the big grinning smiley behind my suggestion of more dragons. Lighten up, plzkthx.

Also, if somehow you generate a world with a gratuitous megabeast population (don't ask me how you'd go about doing that, but this is DF, you know someone probably already has), chances are all of them will find you eventually as they can move and your fort can't. And unless I'm much mistaken, Nist Akath had more than one dragon (before the Captain started using Dwarf Companion even, I believe), but whatever, you can chalk that up to either the utility or to the place being a ruddy legend if you're disinclined to believe it.

You can't. The wiki article in question is rated D for Dwarf, and should not be taken literally.

Hmm. Well, thanks for clearing that up. You'd think the made-up bits would have fairly little overlap with bits describing actual gameplay mechanics though. Oh well, according to the decorations article you can decorate repeatedly as long as you use different materials so that'll have to do.

How do I get my military dwarfs to wear things like Steel Helms or Steel Boots?

First, forbid all your armor from the Z-stocks menu. Then, order them to wear cloth armor, watch them to make sure they take off everything and forbid each piece as it comes off. Then pause, order the squad to the desired armor level, unforbid exactly those pieces of armor you want (it might help to do so with exactly enough for the entire squad, no more and no less) and unpause. They should head straight for the stockpiles and don the gear you want them to.

Or are all beastmen bugged to not reproduce?

If this is true, Toady needs to implement mecha. WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE? =D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 07:19:11 pm by Rat Of Wisdom »
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: February 01, 2010, 07:39:13 pm »

Thanks for the clarification and all, but allow me to respectfully point out the big grinning smiley behind my suggestion of more dragons. Lighten up, plzkthx.

See, I didn't imply that you didn't know any better, just that you gave advice that wasn't fully thought-through and would be liable to misinform the reader who wasn't aware of you jesting. Your usage of a smiley face could have been an indication of your jocular intent, I'll give you that, but it's not entirely clear for the reader who's come to expect being inundated in meaningless smileys.

Also, if somehow you generate a world with a gratuitous megabeast population (don't ask me how you'd go about doing that, but this is DF, you know someone probably already has), chances are all of them will find you eventually as they can move and your fort can't.

The dragon population in my last world looks like it's several times higher than normal, if the caves with several (as opposed to just one) dragons are any indication, but I have yet to see one dragon in 11 or 12 years of playing my latest fort. I suppose I will see a dragon or two if I wait long enough (though I'm more likely to abandon in the next couple of years), all I'm saying is that increasing their population doesn't appear to be a reliable way of seeing more of them in fortress mode.

Or are all beastmen bugged to not reproduce?

I don't know if they're bugged per se, they might be working as designed. I know I've gotten some creatures (or at least one I remember off-hand, namely unicorns) to reproduce by just adding the appropriate child-related tags to them, so that might (or might not) work on monstrous humanoids.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 07:42:15 pm by assimilateur »

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: February 01, 2010, 09:46:00 pm »

Yeah. I wound up killing the dragon instead. damn thing just camped outside the metalsmithing area, rather than chasing after my oh-so-tasty dwarves on the other end of my cage traps. Ah well, now I just need a few more artifacts to come along and use up these dragon bones...
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 181