Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204638 times)

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1110 on: February 01, 2010, 10:16:16 pm »

Ok, I decided to start my second fort, seeing as my first was very un-orderly and ill-planned.
So this time I took a more planned approach.

However, I think I chose a bad embark location. I'm on the edge of the mountains, an easy 3/4 of the map is flat land though with a river going through it.

I've already had a trading caravan and an elf caravan just arrived. Yet no migrants, which I desperately need...
Is it because I'm near the mountains that I'm getting no migrants? Or do I need to just give it more time?

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: February 01, 2010, 10:17:39 pm »

You just need more time. Being near the mountains just means that you have to go down instead of in, but that's easy enough to do. I've done some really great forts on perfectly flat terrain before, it just means digging differently.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: February 01, 2010, 10:30:00 pm »

I'm on the edge of the mountains, an easy 3/4 of the map is flat land though with a river going through it.

I've been playing on a map with 150z levels.  I like flat maps much more now than I used to because I've learned that I can get all the metals I want from the orcs, and its a huge pain in the rear to track and kill all the invaders on a map with 100z levels.  You can never see or find more than 1 or 2 of them at a time.  And it is guaranteed that your traders will die on top of the 100z mountain to ensure that your entire fortress takes off running to the top of the mountain to get the equipment. 

In the  next version when you can specify how much "air" and how much "ground" there is, I might never embark on an extremely hilly map again... The only reason I get mountain tiles at all now are for HFS and undergorund water.  Luckily on my current map I only have about 5 levels of "hill" and they are mostly located on one corner of the map.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: February 01, 2010, 10:31:43 pm »

I'm not digging down, the mountain begins with enough space to go back plenty and down plenty.
I'm fine...for now, migrants are the only thing that's lacking...

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: February 01, 2010, 10:41:10 pm »

Thanks for the previos answer, reading here it seems I want to preserve the turtle shells and bones that are accumulating in my refuse pile. How do I do that? Can I get them in a bin? Or can I move my refuse in house so that they don't decompose?
Thanks

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: February 01, 2010, 10:48:07 pm »

DFPongo: One stockpile for skulls/bones/shells that is subterranean, and then designate your "smelly" refuse pit to not take those items.
I'd do that, but I don't think dwarves have words for "fair" or "logical".

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #1116 on: February 02, 2010, 04:12:48 am »

DFPongo: One stockpile for skulls/bones/shells that is subterranean, and then designate your "smelly" refuse pit to not take those items.

Although if you put the refuse pile in its own room with a door, the resulting miasma really doesn't spread around that much; an airlock arrangement cuts it down even further. I always do this anymore, since it's one less reason for dwarfs to go outside and get attacked. (Or one less thing for me to do, building a walled outdoor dumping pit..) Dwarfs will be exposed to the miasma when they dump stuff, but a waterfall and statue garden will keep everyone quite happy.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: February 02, 2010, 06:04:34 am »

Meh, I ramp down and then wall the ceiling, usually in my first year before the nasties!
I'd do that, but I don't think dwarves have words for "fair" or "logical".

Blailus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: February 02, 2010, 11:58:09 am »

I've procured a mod from somewhere, that allows you to set which (out of every type possible) type of stones are economic or not, and it has the horrible side effect of pausing+zooming everytime I hit anything that isn't an entire floor big.  As I'm getting tired of the "You've struck microcline!" and other such stone announcements, does anyone know of a way to fix this, while preserving the ability to set any type of stone as economic?  I don't mind if it never tells me what I've found.

Also, Post Count = 1.  Yey!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: February 02, 2010, 01:30:47 pm »

That's not the stone control mod's doing. Basic DF does that.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: February 02, 2010, 01:55:13 pm »

Can I build out ever z level?
 will noise travel down one level to bother dwarves that are sleeping 1 level bellow my workshops?Will it become unstable?
I set my dwarf max to 20, was generous to the traders, and in my second season of potential imigrants I got 13!.
Some craftsmen that I was missing so thats good. Lots of bed rooms needed though.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: February 02, 2010, 02:11:25 pm »

will noise travel down one level to bother dwarves that are sleeping 1 level bellow my workshops?
Yes. Noise goes as many z-levels vertically as it does tiles horizontally.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: February 02, 2010, 02:19:48 pm »

Semi-serious but tongue firmly in cheek question: Do Dorfs Fart?

I seem to be getting miasma appearing where there is no refuse of any kind and there are no miasma producing industries or workshops nearby. Seems very random, almost wonder if my stonecrafters are letting rip as they work.  ;D

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: February 02, 2010, 02:54:26 pm »

It would be nice if they could, indeed, fart (as well as defecate and urinate, mind you), but currently something has to be rotting to produce miasma.

Do you have cats? They will kill vermin and show the remains to their owners. Those will then get dumped or hauled to a refuse pile (assuming you got one that accepts remains), but at times the dwarves might not do that quick enough before they stink up the fortress.

Also, I've been seeing underground olms die in my fortress, for reasons that could only have been cave spider-related.

Blailus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: February 02, 2010, 02:57:16 pm »

I've procured a mod from somewhere, that allows you to set which (out of every type possible) type of stones are economic or not, and it has the horrible side effect of pausing+zooming everytime I hit anything that isn't an entire floor big.  As I'm getting tired of the "You've struck microcline!" and other such stone announcements, does anyone know of a way to fix this, while preserving the ability to set any type of stone as economic?  I don't mind if it never tells me what I've found.

Also, Post Count = 1.  Yey!
That's not the stone control mod's doing. Basic DF does that.
So is there another mod that stops the zooming and pausing?  I don't mind the alerts themselves, but when you're doing mass exploratory digging I'd prefer it not to stop every 5 seconds.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 181