Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204576 times)

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1140 on: February 03, 2010, 10:54:23 am »

So I've heard that chains actually restrict creatures to a 3x3x3 area.

If I build jails that are 3 levels tall like:

Code: [Select]

Z-0         z+1        z-1   
XXXXX   XXXXX   XXXXX   
X+++X   X+++X   X+++X   
XS++X   XS++X   XS++X   
X+++X   X+++X   X+++X   
XXXXX   XXXXX   XXXXX   

X is a wall, S is stairs and the restraint would be in the center of z-0.... could the dwarves access all of that space?

Also, if you put a workshop so that 6 of the 9 squares were accessible to the dwarf, would he be able to use it while in jail?

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: February 03, 2010, 12:09:27 pm »

quoted from the wiki:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

on that basis I'd say that yes your idea should work, you can also setup stockpiles in the 'cell' to supply him with food, booze and resources to craft with, a bed is also a good idea. This page talks about happy prisoners and 'rehabilitation': http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Jail

gopher dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: February 03, 2010, 12:26:48 pm »

I've noticed for a while through human and dwarf trade channels that there you can get leather from large species of fish I.E: Carp, Gar, Pike, etc.

My question is:

I've never encountered any of these fish before, do they spawn randomly in areas? Do I need a certain level of savagery? Or what's the deal?
Do they appear in lakes? etc?

Another bonus question:

If I build my fort near an ocean will I be exposed to sharks, whales, and other seaside related fun?

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: February 03, 2010, 12:51:39 pm »

1)Carp/Gar/Pike only appear in rivers and lakes.

2)Yes, but they won't do anything since they don't usually leave the water.

EDIT:
By the way, chained animals can only walk in a 3x3x3 cube, right?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 12:54:52 pm by Jack_Bread »

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #1144 on: February 03, 2010, 02:25:26 pm »

1)Carp/Gar/Pike only appear in rivers and lakes.

2)Yes, but they won't do anything since they don't usually leave the water.

As long as they aren't zombies or skeletal.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: February 03, 2010, 03:31:22 pm »

I have had flying chained animals manage to glitch things such that they go up 2 z levels from their restraint. Normal prisoners are restricted to the 3x3x3, though.

interestingly enough, you can create a ramp up to the MIDDLE of certain workshops by removing a visible floor tile after they are constructed. Kennels, for instance, do this. if you then buld a ramp below... it should work. I know it works for going UP (Though perhaps not down)

my question: can prisoners do tasks that do not require actually going into the workshop? (the only 2 I can think of are collecting sand and training vermin)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: February 03, 2010, 04:05:12 pm »

Can zombie/skeletal fire imps still fire fireballs?

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: February 03, 2010, 04:17:39 pm »

First case of Miasma ever for me has appeared...
I have a refuse pile one z level above the entrance to my fort, so it's plenty close.

I did however take note of the fact that with my first group of migrants I got a LOT of animals...

Now, I'm lacking a place for these animals to go other than the meeting room..Where should I keep them? And are they the cause of the miasma?
The miasma reach my main stairwell and has spread to my farms, my barracks, workshops, EVERYWHERE.

How do I track down what the stuff is and where it's coming from and remove it?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: February 03, 2010, 04:32:43 pm »

miasma is rotting stuff. so rotting food, rotting meat, rotting untanned skin, dead vermin, dead fish, dead bodies, dead babies, severed limbs, severed "bits", zombies...

I would check your stock screen for purpled out items of the above types. often they will be listed as "rotting". within that list you can list them for dumping - then if you designate a trash pit they will eventually be moved there. I think there's a way to automatically designate rotting crud for dumping, but I can't for the life of me remember how.

Miasma goes away (Except with the zombies), eventually, but you can't really function well while it's clouding everything up. That's your punishment for not dealing with the problem ahead of time. The game's a little unforgiving with miasma. and smoke. and steam.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: February 03, 2010, 04:49:40 pm »

miasma is rotting stuff. so rotting food, rotting meat, rotting untanned skin, dead vermin, dead fish, dead bodies, dead babies, severed limbs, severed "bits", zombies...

I would check your stock screen for purpled out items of the above types. often they will be listed as "rotting". within that list you can list them for dumping - then if you designate a trash pit they will eventually be moved there. I think there's a way to automatically designate rotting crud for dumping, but I can't for the life of me remember how.

Miasma goes away (Except with the zombies), eventually, but you can't really function well while it's clouding everything up. That's your punishment for not dealing with the problem ahead of time. The game's a little unforgiving with miasma. and smoke. and steam.

It appears that my kittens are dragging in bones, or remains rather. Of anything...
I assume they kill things and take them to their owners as a gift of sorts like any cat in the real world does?

How do I stop them from doing this? Kill the cat?

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: February 03, 2010, 05:00:46 pm »

That would work but if  you do the owner will take a bad thought hit thats worse than the miasma. Keep your cat population under control by caging new born kittens. You can trade them away to caravans or whatever, personally I keep them all in a cage as you never know when more vermin might show up, releasing the odd cat is a good idea in that case. If you put new cats in cages they will not adopt owners and you can do what you like with them, they will also not breed while in the cage - one thing I recommend doing with cats, indeed any animal you want to control the population of - is to keep all the females in one cage and all the males in another, when you need an animal for something other than slaughtering (guard dogs, mouser cats etc.) only release male animals in whatever quantity you need*. You will no doubt have at start some female cats who are pets and can't be caged, when this pet eventually dies make sure its the last female thats ever out of a cage - except for in a circumstance where you want to breed more, in which case release a single female into an isolated room with a breeding male, then recage them after the new ones are born, along with any new ones you don't have an immediate use for. You're quite right about the cats killing vermin and taking it to their owner, the owner often ignores this and its up to other dorfs to dispose of the corpse - what I do is designate a spare peasant or migrant as a 'Refuse Collector' his only job should be to collect refuse, in a larger fort more would be needed too.

As a cat owner in real life I can never bring myself to kill them in DF, silly I know. I can be very mean to dorfs, goblins, ratmen etc. though :P - as my 'This is Sparta' lava pit and bear pit will testify.

* interestingly this makes sense from a realism perspective too as in real life bulls get slaughtered for beef except for a stud for breeding - the cows make milk and produce calves, likewise male dogs are more often used for guard duty/warfare as they are more aggressive etc.

edit: on the subject of breeding animals I just had the weirdest thing happen - I have a female horse and a male donkey, all of a sudden my horse gives birth to a horse foal, this is odd, I have no other horses, I check the units screen and there are no other horses on the map (i know that animals don't have to be near each other to breed). Could the donkey have bred with the horse? If so why is it not a mule instead of a horse foal?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 05:35:43 pm by Spong »

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: February 03, 2010, 05:34:03 pm »

Seeing as I'm a noob at this game, I see it suit to ask this question: What workshop builds cages and how do I designate animals to belong within them?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: February 03, 2010, 05:37:42 pm »

Seeing as I'm a noob at this game, I see it suit to ask this question: What workshop builds cages and how do I designate animals to belong within them?

Several. Carpenter's workshops can be used to make wood cages, glass furnaces for terrariums (which work like cages, and can be filled with water to make aquariums for sea creatures), and forges for metal cages.

To put an animal in a cage, you must first place it (b-j). Then, once it is built, scroll over it in the q building selection screen, hit a, and there'll be a list of all of your animals and you can tell your dwarves to put any number of animals in the cage. You can then deconstruct the cage once the animals are in it to get it out of the way.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: February 03, 2010, 05:39:53 pm »

yes or you can release them individually by using q on the cage again - also its worth noting that there is no difference between the cage types in practical terms aside from the aquarium point, what I mean is that you can hold a terrifying dragon in a weedy little wooden cage with no problems so build whatever type is convenient or you prefer the look of.

One other thing - its worth having a few caged animals around that your dorfs like because it will let them be comforted by them and give happy thought, conversely a cage with an animal they detest will put them in a foul mood.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 05:59:35 pm by Spong »

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: February 03, 2010, 06:03:56 pm »

edit: on the subject of breeding animals I just had the weirdest thing happen - I have a female horse and a male donkey, all of a sudden my horse gives birth to a horse foal, this is odd, I have no other horses, I check the units screen and there are no other horses on the map (i know that animals don't have to be near each other to breed). Could the donkey have bred with the horse? If so why is it not a mule instead of a horse foal?

What happened is that a merchant brought a male horse and he spored the air and got your little pony preggers.
I'd do that, but I don't think dwarves have words for "fair" or "logical".
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 181