Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204008 times)

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1440 on: February 12, 2010, 07:59:43 pm »

WTF is the go with dead bugs?
Are you doomed to go around individually marking them to be dumped (I hide them as I go so I know to forget about them) for as long as you have live cats onsite? Is there a labour that does automatically go around picking them up BEFORE they decompose into miasma?
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: February 12, 2010, 08:07:09 pm »

WTF is the go with dead bugs?
Are you doomed to go around individually marking them to be dumped (I hide them as I go so I know to forget about them) for as long as you have live cats onsite? Is there a labour that does automatically go around picking them up BEFORE they decompose into miasma?

As long as you have a refuse pile and dwarves with refuse hauling turned on, if they are not all busy, one will come and pick it up and dispose of it properly.

Other options include getting rid of cats, outdoor fortress, or insane building designs so miasma isn't an issue

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: February 12, 2010, 08:10:46 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:32:06 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: February 12, 2010, 08:11:33 pm »

Make sure you have a refuse stockpile, though even then the dorfs can be very dumb about refuse hauling.

The best advice is what the others said already: get rid of stone and wood hauling jobs which are taking up your haulers' time.  If they have nothing else to do, they'll usually go ahead and move the refuse.

Just had an idea: You may want to designate a few dwarves as dedicated refuse haulers, removing all their other jobs.  This could really help on a large fortress.

Edit: I was responding to Garrie, not Bauglir.  I've had Bauglir's problem and I have no idea how to fix it :/  my dwarves just seem to avoid hauling bones inside, *sometimes*.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: February 12, 2010, 08:14:36 pm »

As long as you have a refuse pile and dwarves with refuse hauling turned on, if they are not all busy, one will come and pick it up and dispose of it properly.

It seems to me that they only do this after the bug has gone rotten & released miasma. But yeah I probably don't have enough haulers sitting on their ass just doing Refuse Hauling at any 1 time.
Garrie.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: February 12, 2010, 08:16:00 pm »

So, I've just killed a titan, ...

Check your orders: are you ignoring / forbidding refuse that is outside? Auto-forbidding the bodies of dead enemy? etc.
Garrie.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: February 12, 2010, 08:17:38 pm »

If I set up a food stockpile for drinks only.
If I set it to 0 barrels.
Does that mean that as barrels become empty they will be hauled away?

I seem to end up with drink stockpiles full of empty barrels, and ***cluttered*** stills.
Garrie.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1447 on: February 12, 2010, 08:29:32 pm »

So, I've just killed a titan, but nobody moved the body to my dump site OR refuse pile set to accept corpses/body parts/etc.
Type o-r-o to to enable collecting refuse from outside.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: February 12, 2010, 08:31:14 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:32:21 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: February 12, 2010, 08:44:24 pm »

Bumping... please someone?
If I dig this in an aquifer, where the W & w are undug wall, will the w's stop leaking when I tunnel them out?
Code: [Select]
WWWWWWWWW
WXXwwXXWW
WXXwwXXWW
WXXwwXXWW
WWWWWWWWW

Garrie.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1450 on: February 12, 2010, 09:00:24 pm »

Every aquifer tile leaks water constantly in all four cardinal directions until mined out or smoothed.  So in your example the six squares you dig out will still flood with water from the undug aquifer tiles to the north and south.  If the X tiles are up/down stairs, they'll also be full of water from all the aquifer tiles on all sides of them since stairs don't stop water.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: February 12, 2010, 09:39:37 pm »

Every aquifer tile leaks water constantly in all four cardinal directions until mined out or smoothed.  So in your example the six squares you dig out will still flood with water from the undug aquifer tiles to the north and south.  If the X tiles are up/down stairs, they'll also be full of water from all the aquifer tiles on all sides of them since stairs don't stop water.
OK - my goal here is to have pumps above the W's. I'm trying to avoid a field of up/down stairs to get through 3 z-levels of aquifer.
I've specifically looked for an embark point with wood, aquifer, magma, flux stone - and what I got was a marsh with an aquifer at least 3 z-levels deep.
Might be even deeper - it was 3 soil levels. If the soil levels are a couple of z-levels each, this is going to be a good lesson for me. Which is what I was after.
Garrie.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: February 12, 2010, 11:23:28 pm »

Do I need to leave space around my workshops? If yes, there is a specific entry/exit point into the workshop which must be clear?
One more minor detail about workshop space -- some workshops create more hauling jobs than others. Having walkable space around the workshops allows for more doors or stairs, which cut down on the time that haulers spend trying and failing to avoid pathing over each other.

Dig a pit 5 or so layers deep.
On a couple of the levels build retracting bridges that take up 1/4 to 1/3 of the width.
Mark the top as a pit. Have all the bridges "extended".
Build your butchers shop and tanners shop at the bottom of the stack.
Put levers in there for the bridges.
Put lever operated door on the bottom level.
Mark the floor as "refuse stockpile" for dead animals.
When the butcher walks in and pulls the lever animals fall down & die. Assign butcher dead animal / repeat.
Tame animals that die from anything other than being butchered will be left to rot, so you won't get anything but bones and skulls from your puppies. My preferred method for butchering tame animals is--

1. Put all animals in a cage next to the butchery.
2. Put all new births in the cage as necessary.
3. Once the birth announcements die down, do one of the following:
4a. Let the adults out for a few moments to breed, then return to step 1.
4b. Starting from the top of the Animals list, butcher enough adults of each species to drop the species' population to below 50, then return to step 4a.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: February 13, 2010, 12:57:46 am »

Tame animals that die from anything other than being butchered will be left to rot, so you won't get anything but bones and skulls from your puppies.
Then maybe, as I said, but for tame animals, make sure they only drop 1x z-level at a time? They won't die from that (very often).
It does mean only pitting the breeding pairs once.
Garrie.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: February 13, 2010, 01:05:12 am »

Re: Butchering:

My final solution will be to tie two males (In case of death due to old age) and around 20-25 females for each species to ropes and butcher the newborns immediately after birth. Yea, you get less bones/meat/fat, but a) the design is simple as hell, b) the only thing the bone count affects is the number of bone bolts produced, and I already have an enormous stockpile (Currently around 6400 bone bolts stockpiled), c) the loss of a couple meat per stack is unimportant (Most of my cooked food ends up rotting in the kitchens anyways as I'm mainly training my cooks at the moment) and d) it may actually result in *more* total meat/bones being produced due to the fact that you can be near the animal pop cap and have constant births from every potential mother.

My three butchers have a combined experience total of 23k xp in butchery (11, 9, 3). Hell, I even recently turned off food hauling for the primary butcher in order to get through the backlog. Note that I have two butcher shops that are working almost around the clock and that third butcher was only added fairly recently. In general, my "Butcher" dwarves only have butchering, tanning, leather working, and food hauling enabled. The recent addition, however, has leather working disabled as the other two get little enough experience in that profession as is.

For now, my nearly 200 breeding animals just mill around my tiny, temporary 13x5 meeting area/dining room. Note that that space is shared with 217 dwarves, heh. They should be tied up within a couple years once my stockpile levels are finished.

Re: Hauling:

I just use general haulers for the most part. For dwarves not dedicated to generalized hauler duties, anyone working with food has everything but food hauling disabled (Food is the only hauling duty I consider to be time sensitive) and the other dwarves typically either have all hauling disabled (Like my four active bonecarvers (One other that's +5 legendary)) that have an endless supply of bones or have all "domestic" (read: safe) hauling jobs enabled if they're a skilled dwarf that has frequent downtime (eg. furnace operators between goblinite deliveries).

For general haulers, of which 35 out of my 217 dwarves are, all hauling jobs are enabled and they have pump operating enabled to both train up their stats and give them legendary status in order to avoid economy issues.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 181