Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204022 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1485 on: February 13, 2010, 02:44:37 pm »

I doubt the bones are what's holding him up.

You're probably right, but do I assume correctly that having a preference for, e.g. elephant bone, would keep a guy from using cow bone? Or does that only hold true for metals?

I think that only holds true for metals. I haven't seen or can't recall an instance where a mood required a specific type of bone.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: February 13, 2010, 03:03:20 pm »

Slaughtering animal: ok it works, thanks people.

At which level a soldier can be switched in and out of military without each time generating an unhappy thought? Is Wrestler or marksman level 1 enough for that?

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: February 13, 2010, 03:07:24 pm »

Dwarves have to have at least one novice or higher military skill to avoid the negative thought from being drafted.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: February 13, 2010, 03:33:09 pm »

Thanks Particleman.

Storage:
How can I know what is in a particular bin, with 'k' it don't work ?

Puppies:
It seems puppies are so small they pass through 'no pet can pass' doors, this is normal?

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: February 13, 2010, 03:33:50 pm »

eh, I'm just nervous that the cows will die before they breed, it's second year and they've done nothin'!  Meanwhile... I get clothing industry up
I like sushi.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: February 13, 2010, 03:45:37 pm »

Storage:

'k' over the bin. Select it using +-*/. Hit enter. Then you will see the contents of the bin.

Puppies:
It seems puppies are so small they pass through 'no pet can pass' doors, this is normal?

All animals can slip through open doors even if they're marked as pet impassable. Since dwarves don't close doors immediately after they pass through, some animals can get through.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: February 13, 2010, 03:46:42 pm »

eh, I'm just nervous that the cows will die before they breed, it's second year and they've done nothin'!  Meanwhile... I get clothing industry up

Seems like something's wrong, then. As far as I remember, all of the animals I embark with - assuming I've got breeding pairs of them - reproduce by first autumn or even late summer.

Thanks Particleman.

Storage:

Puppies:

Re. storage: I think you can use k and then press enter on the bin or barrel. I'd have to check, it's been one or two weeks since I last played DF, and I find this sort of interface business easier retained via muscle memory, as opposed to visual memory (which makes it harder to tell people how to do things).

Re. puppies: Last time I did anything with tightly-closed doors, kittens weren't able to pass through them. It wouldn't make sense for puppies to work differently, so I figure you must have missed something (namely, that the door got briefly opened by a dwarf).

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: February 13, 2010, 06:06:24 pm »

Adventurer mode.

How the hell do I skip through sleeping?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: February 13, 2010, 06:17:51 pm »

How do I get a "blank" version of the world I'm currently playing? I'd like to start a fort over again.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: February 13, 2010, 06:38:44 pm »

How do I get a "blank" version of the world I'm currently playing? I'd like to start a fort over again.

When playing in fortress mode, there's gonna be an option starting with the word "export", I think (if not, it's descriptive enough to be recognizable as being relevant). It enables you to generate several files pertaining to your world, one of which will contain the exact worldgen data, seeds included.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: February 13, 2010, 06:47:41 pm »

nvm, they had 4 calfs in the winter : D just gotta wait till the next caravan to buy that iron anvil so I can start mining the iron I've found so I can start using the charcoal I've made to start smelting the iron I've smelted and start... making iron chains muahahaha.  Also, the loan muskoxen and horse I've started with both had kids, there's wild versions and they impregnated via spores, so I'll have more leather'n'bones than I'll need
I like sushi.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: February 13, 2010, 07:04:28 pm »

Adventurer mode.

How the hell do I skip through sleeping?

I don't think you can.

So don't go to sleep. There's no reason to anyway.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: February 13, 2010, 07:07:25 pm »

Adventurer mode again.

Where the hell did the fort's military go on abandon? I left them outside, and they had all the adamantine hammers.

(Hammer question excised, I found one of the fancy steel ones. That'll do as a stopgap.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:11:17 pm by Skorpion »
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: February 13, 2010, 07:15:03 pm »

Is it better to use a no-quality steel warhammer with Proficient skill, or an exceptional adamantine mace or axe with no skill whatsoever?

EDIT:
Or, alternatively, where the hell did the fort's military go on abandon? I left them outside, and they had all the adamantine hammers.

The adamantine mace or axe would probably be more effective than the no quality steel warhammer. The 5x damage boost (compared to iron) and the bonuses to hit from it being exceptional probably would make it the deadlier weapon.

As for where your military went, they got in a group with the rest of the dwarves from your fortress and left your fortress. And they probably took everything they were wearing, including your adamantine hammers.

You might be able to find them along with all the other dwarves from your fortress, but I can't remember what the symbol for a migrant group is on the adventurer map. I think it's a blinking horizontal dash. I don't know where it would be.

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #1499 on: February 13, 2010, 07:39:31 pm »

Skorpion: Travel via the world map one tile, and come back. I don't think that's the best way, but it's the only one I know of.
Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 181