Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204001 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1515 on: February 14, 2010, 02:20:59 am »

Ah, got to be a little more specific than that or you'll give people the wrong idea.

That whole idea of locking your livestock in is a pain in the ass every time you want to butcher something. I'd recommend just chaining your animals in an area that isn't very highly traveled, but isn't under lockdown either. Unless I'm mistaken, that will also cut down on your lag without requiring you to do all those extra steps you'd need when using a self-contained breeding area.

The thing is: the best and most convenient way to get rid of unwanted items is atomsmashing, period. You can build your one-tile atomsmashing bridge anywhere you want, so the hauling distance can be whatever you want it to be. You can build as many of them as you want. And you can build the lever(s) wherever you want.

No argument there, but it feels somewhat sploity, while throwing shit into magma or a chasm feels cool. I'm gonna opt for the second option, which at best gives me another problem to solve, and at worse makes cleaning up somewhat more labor-intensive. I can live with that.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 02:25:40 am by assimilateur »

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: February 14, 2010, 02:31:26 am »

every static item in the world can make lag? i.e stockpiled stones or stuff in bins do that?

Because I thought of converting all my mundane stones into stuff which I would sell to merchants, thus they would be stored in bins -- this generate lag?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: February 14, 2010, 02:58:24 am »

Yes, it's better to get rid of stone or other garbage altogether. Also, making hundred or thousands of stone crafts is a waste of clicks when the same trade value can be produced via a vastly smaller amount of prepared meals.

If you do insist on trading stone crafts, making mugs out of 600 stones - resulting in 1800 finished items - should cover your export needs for several years, and give you a legendary stonecrafter in the process.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: February 14, 2010, 03:09:13 am »

which at best gives me another problem to solve, and at worse makes cleaning up somewhat more labor-intensive. I can live with that.

That's incorrect, and that's the point. You can't clean it up if you get the magma-melting glitch. Otherwise, you'll be fine.

And this is not about cleaning up nor is it exploitative. It's about reducing lag that shouldn't exist in the first place.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: February 14, 2010, 03:24:53 am »

That's incorrect, and that's the point. You can't clean it up if you get the magma-melting glitch. Otherwise, you'll be fine.

I meant having to figure out a way of flushing stuff down a chasm in the first place, or carrying it a little bit further. I don't know what made you think I hoped to salvage glitched globs.

And this is not about cleaning up nor is it exploitative. It's about reducing lag that shouldn't exist in the first place.

I don't know what definition of "sploit" you're using, but I was talking about exploiting a bug or an unrealistic game mechanic. Way I understand it, quantum stockpiling and atom-smashing (while crushing moderate amounts of rock under a massive, bridge-like device is not inconceivable, the way it's usually done is unrealistic, to put it mildly) are exploitative. You shouldn't get defensive, as I don't have a problem with anyone using these sploits; hell, I'm not above using sploits myself, if I see the need for them, but I'm not going to forgo using something as cool as magma (unless "ghost" globs start piling up) or a bottomless pit for waste disposal.

Also, I couldn't agree more about the lag being ridiculous.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: February 14, 2010, 03:39:16 am »

I'm not defensive. You're reading tones of voice into text; if you hope to survive on a forum without arguments then you should drop that now :)

I am disagreeing. It's not an exploit because it does not benefit the player in any way; in fact it destroys useful raw materials. What it does is overcome a shortcoming of the game's programming: huge processor lag from item tracking.
The sigs topic:

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: February 14, 2010, 05:29:45 am »

I'm not defensive. You're reading tones of voice into text;

I don't consider defensiveness only a tone of voice, it can be seen in written language as well, though our definitions of that term might simply be diverging. Regardless, after rereading your previous statement, I now consider my claim about you being supposedly defensive unfounded.

if you hope to survive on a forum without arguments then you should drop that now :)

No offense, but I think this could be considered a classic case of "the kettle calling the pot black". Also, why shouldn't we argue, as in, discuss things? As long as we keep it civil, and so far we have, I don't see what problems that would cause.

It's not an exploit because it does not benefit the player in any way; in fact it destroys useful raw materials.

Again, our definitions of the term "exploit" are different, as by my definition and in this context, an exploit doesn't entail gaining an advantage, it's simply the use of an unintended (buggy) feature. You seem to consider it a performance tweak, and I agree with that assessment, but it's nevertheless attained by exploiting the bugs of quantum stockpiling and atom smashing; not that there is anything wrong with that.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: February 14, 2010, 07:41:44 am »

Quick question:

Do megabeast(s) only arrive once per fort? Or can you get multiples (assuming there are more alive in the world)?

So far both my forts have only seen one megabeast arrive, both came at about the time I hit 100 dwarves. Other megabeasts have survived worldgen but so far only one per fort has arrived.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: February 14, 2010, 08:50:53 am »

I need a REALLY quick way to kill prisoners in cages.Will atom smashing cages kill the prisoners too?
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: February 14, 2010, 09:05:29 am »

Quick question:

Do megabeast(s) only arrive once per fort? Or can you get multiples (assuming there are more alive in the world)?

So far both my forts have only seen one megabeast arrive, both came at about the time I hit 100 dwarves. Other megabeasts have survived worldgen but so far only one per fort has arrived.

Megabests wander the world map, so every megabeast that can reach your fort should eventually pass by, given enough time. On occassion, multiple megabeasts have visited a fortress simultaneously.
The fish are watching.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: February 14, 2010, 11:34:13 am »

I need a REALLY quick way to kill prisoners in cages.Will atom smashing cages kill the prisoners too?

It will definitely get rid of the prisoners.  I'm not sure if they'll be "killed", I wouldn't be surprised if they were stuck in a limbo zone, but they won't be bothering you ever again.

If the cages aren't iron, I'd rather dump them in magma.  Hell, even if they are iron (the cage won't melt and the prisoner will live under the magma for all time).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: February 14, 2010, 11:53:35 am »

From the embark choose-items screen, how do you go back to the screen before, so you can change civilizations once you realize you can't buy turtles or whatever?

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: February 14, 2010, 12:35:31 pm »

I did a reclaim fortress and ... lo and behold, I embarked with 70 armed dwarves!!! Is this a punishing expedition against the undeads which killed my wagon of pioneers or what?  :D

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: February 14, 2010, 12:40:37 pm »

From the embark choose-items screen, how do you go back to the screen before, so you can change civilizations once you realize you can't buy turtles or whatever?

You have to hit escape and abort, then start again.  I know it's annoying, I play with several civs activated and often embark as elves or goblins by accident.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: February 14, 2010, 02:45:24 pm »

if you hope to survive on a forum without arguments then you should drop that now :)

No offense, but I think this could be considered a classic case of "the kettle calling the pot black". Also, why shouldn't we argue, as in, discuss things? As long as we keep it civil, and so far we have, I don't see what problems that would cause.

It's not an exploit because it does not benefit the player in any way; in fact it destroys useful raw materials.

Again, our definitions of the term "exploit" are different, as by my definition and in this context, an exploit doesn't entail gaining an advantage, it's simply the use of an unintended (buggy) feature. You seem to consider it a performance tweak, and I agree with that assessment, but it's nevertheless attained by exploiting the bugs of quantum stockpiling and atom smashing; not that there is anything wrong with that.

Well, I agree with you. But forum arguments don't remain the classical sense of arguments 90% of the time; people don't control themselves online and tend to have flame wars. A big thing on this forum is for a flamer or troll to come in, provoke someone or enter an existing dispute, flame a little, then report their opponents to the moderators. I hate hitting the Report button, but whoever hits it first seems to get immunity and put the other person in deep ****. I do my best to avoid even disagreements with posters I don't know now.

Obviously we don't need to get into the academic definition of exploit, as it simply means utilizing something to its potential. As far as I understand its use with video games, exploiting is a term used when someone takes advantage of a game mechanic or bug in a way in which it was not meant to be utilized.

I'd like to point out that this is not a bug, and that this is the way it's meant to be used. I really don't see how you can call it an exploit.
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 181