Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 203980 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1545 on: February 15, 2010, 12:58:39 am »

Um. There's a pump, hooked up to pull from the magma pipe, and put the magma back down a grate back into the pipe, over a pile of trash and through a grate.
This is a closed system.

1. Why has the level in the pipe gone down?
2. Have I just pressurised the entire magma pipe?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: February 15, 2010, 01:23:44 am »

well most likely the molten rock is evaporating.  Like water, each 1/7 of magma sometimes turns into a mess on the floor.  It shouldn't be very much though.  Also the magma in your trash disposal is in your trash disposal and not in the pipe, although I assume you have accounted for that. 

I don't think you can pressurize magma at all. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: February 15, 2010, 02:23:39 am »

Hidden critters & more?

Hi,
1. Is it possible on a map to discover while digging trapped critters? So far when I played (not that much, less one hundred hours total  ;D ), it seems I can view everywhere, on all levels, all critters, so no surprises...

2. Also, can critters move significantly toward the fort? It seems they are only reacting a few squares away from their initial position?

3. Last, can critters from the world (except mega beast) enter the local map, do they reproduce on the local map?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: February 15, 2010, 02:43:41 am »

1) No, that's coming in the new version where the entire underground is revamped. You'll find huge caverns, forgotten beasts, and possibly lost treasures and civilizations. But that's all in the new version, which is still being tested. Look here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html

2) Most creatures don't have much interest in your fortress. Predators might approach looking for food, while prey will flee any dwarves they notice. Civilian dwarves without Hunting will flee all beasts, as well.
McIdiot cancels move item to stockpile: Interrupted by wild rabbit. x13
etc.

3) Migratory beasts do enter the map from the edges, as you may have noticed. While they will not give birth in your territory, they are perfectly capable of impregnating your livestock.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: February 15, 2010, 03:01:42 am »

1) Wait, haven't you seen underground rivers/lakes? They have critters. Also sometimes the chasm/bottomless pit is hidden and you have to discover it. However those (and HFS) are the only cases.
2) Any creature with [MEANDERER] tag will roam about without real interest of your dwarves. However if it has [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM] etc. which mean that they look for items, they will run to your fort (like monkeys do).
3) As it has been said, migratory creatures enter your map once the existing groups leave (I think it's some number per biome, so the more biomes you have, the more creatures you have) or when you kill them (so sometimes it's better to leave a single groundhog to live to avoid some nasty critters spawning). Feature creatures breed though if they have an ability (river creatures, chasm creatures, cave creatures etc.).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: February 15, 2010, 03:03:40 am »

Does anyone know if there's a compiled list of all of the creatures' reference name? As in, not "grizzly bear," but "BEAR_GRIZZLY," the stuff after the [CREATURE] tag in a creature entry, the stuff the game references if it wants to use a creature as an entity or, more importantly for my purposes, what one would use if they wanted to make a creature's parts part of a reaction?

I'm wanting to expand my animal-hide bedding mod, but going through the creature list entry-by-entry to make sure everything's name is actually right is very tedious, especially with some of the weirder ones like giant eagles, siamangs, and bilous.
You have to do it by yourself, but only once ;).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: February 15, 2010, 03:52:41 am »

thanks for the answers!

What would you say about the ETA of the patch? It is counted in weeks or months? I know it is guessing, but you have experience of past versions ;)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: February 15, 2010, 04:13:17 am »

you have experience of past versions ;)

Nope. Started in late October.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

cstruble

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: February 15, 2010, 09:07:56 am »

1.  Are there any issues with pumping magma through a pump stack?
2. The magma should be pressured at the top of the stack, correct?
3. How many pumps can I reasonably place at a magma pipe that it does not  lower the magma level? 

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1554 on: February 15, 2010, 09:13:36 am »

1. Why has the level in the pipe gone down?
You have removed some magma from the pipe.  Thought your system is closed, some magma was required to fill/prime it, which was taken from the pipe.  That caused the magma level to fall.  Eventually the pipe will refill itself to its original level.  This may cause it to overflow if magma flows out of your system into an already full pipe.
2. Have I just pressurised the entire magma pipe?
If there exists a solid path from the outlet of your pump to the pipe, then the entire pipe will be pressurized to the level of the output of the pump.

1.  Are there any issues with pumping magma through a pump stack?
Only that the pumps should not contain any wooden parts.  Other materials seem to be safe - pumps don't seem to need magma-safe materials so long as the passable input square of the pump is not itself immersed in magma, which it does not need to be in order to pump.
2. The magma should be pressured at the top of the stack, correct?

Yes, the magma will pressurize to the output level of the last pump.
3. How many pumps can I reasonably place at a magma pipe that it does not  lower the magma level? 
None.  Pumping any magma from the pipe will lower the magma level.  The pipe will eventually refill to its original level.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: February 15, 2010, 10:10:12 am »

I'm having trouble with engineering cave-ins, I wanted to make a deep channel of about 5 z levels near my entrance - i dug a staircase down and dug up around the border of the area i want collapsed, the bottom layer i mined out except for a single support linked to a lever - so it looks like this:

bottom layer:

#= wall
S= support

#####
#      #
#      #
#  S  #
#      #
#      #
#####

all other levels:

R = ramp (or in some cases channel)

######
#RRRR #
#R##R#
#R##R#
#R##R#
#RRRR #
#### #

so I pull the lever and it  causes a cave-in, but when I look at the area the only thing that has changed is the bottom layer now has granite walls in the center where the support was, like this:

G = granite

#####
#      #
#  G  #
#  G  #
#  G  #
#      #
#####

What am I doing wrong?

To me it looks like what has happened is this:

side on view:

|   ###   |
|   ###   |
|   ###   |
|   ###   |
|___S___|

after lever is pulled:

|            |
|   ###   |
|   ###   |
|   ###   |
|__###__|

the whole stack has just shifted one level down - I don't know why this is I would have thought the weight of the above layers would cause them to follow through.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 10:16:19 am by Spong »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1556 on: February 15, 2010, 10:49:07 am »

That's what's supposed to happen.  When you drop natural stone walls, they aren't destroyed.  They just shift downwards.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: February 15, 2010, 12:09:30 pm »

how do you remove traffic areas?

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: February 15, 2010, 12:31:56 pm »

World gen and beyond:

When you enter criteria to embark, is it possible to skip the first correct candidate and check the second? Because I'm proposed with a candidate which is overlapping a previous experiment (aka failed fort) of mine and I wanted to be elsewhere in the world.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: February 15, 2010, 12:50:37 pm »

how do you remove traffic areas?

Go to the traffic designations menu, and set whatever area you want back to normal traffic.

When you enter criteria to embark, is it possible to skip the first correct candidate and check the second?

Nope. One of the limitations of the current site finder.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 181