Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204578 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1665 on: February 17, 2010, 04:39:08 pm »

Asking Toady to do a study on this doesn't make much sense to me

Architect said "ask Toady himself OR do an extensive study."  Y'all should work harder on identifying miscommunicated points.

Thank you so much! There's a point where I just give up now. It seems that once someone decides they're going to argue with you or disagree on a forum, they no longer read what you're actually writing and it is impossible to come to an understanding. I am really truly thankful that you were willing to step in and help out.

People, please look carefully for what is actually there rather than what you expect in someone's writing. It will end disputes very quickly.

Architect: I'm sorry for busting your balls over this.
Don't worry about it. I've taken to just shutting up if people stop reading and start arguing.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: February 17, 2010, 04:39:49 pm »

The stupid elves have stopped bringing me nice creatures, I managed to get a tamed wolf from them the first time they showed up but every time they come since then they just have barrels of cloth. Have I pissed them off in some way?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: February 17, 2010, 04:46:20 pm »

I've taken to just shutting up if people stop reading and start arguing.

So after accepting my apology, you're now going to rub it in that I misread one goddamn sentence? Nice.

All I can blame myself for is not having reread your original post after the initial confusion, but you're making it sound worse than it actually was.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:48:15 pm by assimilateur »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: February 17, 2010, 05:01:02 pm »

Thank you so much! There's a point where I just give up now. It seems that once someone decides they're going to argue with you or disagree on a forum, they no longer read what you're actually writing and it is impossible to come to an understanding.

This goes both ways -- if you'd made a stronger effort to understand how assimilateur's reply related to your post, you would have caught the misunderstanding early.  A misunderstanding, no matter whose fault it was originally, doesn't give either of you license to become openly dismissive.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: February 17, 2010, 05:21:16 pm »

Actually, I was addressing the people who all jumped on and created a situation out of something I just don't care about. You can pursue it as far as you like; when someone or multiple someones take a sentence meant to be helpful and turn it into an argument, I mentally check out. Sorry.
The sigs topic:

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: February 17, 2010, 05:23:57 pm »

(...) doesn't give either of you license to become openly dismissive.

Thank you, this can't be said enough.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: February 17, 2010, 05:25:46 pm »

The stupid elves have stopped bringing me nice creatures, I managed to get a tamed wolf from them the first time they showed up but every time they come since then they just have barrels of cloth. Have I pissed them off in some way?
Just the opposite. Elves are freaky; the more they like you, the worse the stuff they bring becomes. Kill them all and/or seize all of their goods a couple times and they'll stop bringing oodles of cloth and start bringing useful stuff again.

The reason behind this behavior, incidentally, appears to be directly related to the low carrying capacity of pack animals without wagons. When the merchants come, they have a set amount of stuff that they want to bring which often weighs too much to carry in, so they bring only part of it. They load up on binned items first, which means that if the elves like you a lot, they want to bring so many bins of cloth that they can't then fit anything else on the pack animals and so don't. Making them less happy then reduces the number of bins they bring until they can actually fit other stuff on there.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: February 17, 2010, 05:35:10 pm »

They're gluttons for punishment.

Alternately, you can go into the RAWs and change the carrying capacity of each animal. The default is from 1000-1500 on pack animals; I just set it to 40k recently for kicks. 5000 would be plenty.

Looking up the thread with the info for you...
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=49261.0
Found it.
The sigs topic:

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: February 17, 2010, 06:07:34 pm »

Thanks, I think I'll do the edit on the pack animals.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: February 17, 2010, 07:41:20 pm »

They're gluttons for punishment.

Alternately, you can go into the RAWs and change the carrying capacity of each animal. The default is from 1000-1500 on pack animals; I just set it to 40k recently for kicks. 5000 would be plenty.

Looking up the thread with the info for you...
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=49261.0
Found it.

Incidentally, will this make the pack animals go at some ungodly-slow speed due to the extra weight (like how traders love loading all their heavy stuff onto one wagon, which is still plodding towards the depot when the traders decide it's time to go), or does the extra capacity prevent that?
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Ari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: February 17, 2010, 10:48:31 pm »

This is more technical, but how can I increase the resolution and grid count properly? Every time I mess with it, my input times are laggy or do not register, and the screen is warped. I followed the wiki page for technical tricks, but I do not understand the grid count posted at the bottom of the page.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: February 17, 2010, 10:58:46 pm »

Incidentally, will this make the pack animals go at some ungodly-slow speed due to the extra weight...?

Not as far as I've observed.
The sigs topic:

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: February 17, 2010, 11:27:26 pm »

This is more technical, but how can I increase the resolution and grid count properly? Every time I mess with it, my input times are laggy or do not register, and the screen is warped. I followed the wiki page for technical tricks, but I do not understand the grid count posted at the bottom of the page.
Easiest thing to do is to switch to one of the new d* versions, which support window resizing and zooming (among other things).  40d17 is the newest, but I hear it has some stability issues, so you might want to go for 40d16 instead.

OddProphet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: February 18, 2010, 01:38:30 am »

I cannot for the life of me understand how to move around caged prisoners.  I recently caught a batch of ambushers and would REALLY like to collapse a few tons of rock above their heads, but Animal Stockpile and Q/K/V --> Cage Trap all fail me.

EDIT: Also, how do I remove their belongings?

EDIT:  Also, my DM demands an item in his Throne Room.  Levers, statues and whatnot aren't satisfying her.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:40:58 am by OddProphet »
They aren't coffins: They're lunchboxes 

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: February 18, 2010, 01:44:15 am »

I just want to randomly post this quote from Toady's latest devlog update:
I forgot to set the boiling point of the gas inside the body of a floating creature, so the poor thing died with the message "<name> has condensed."

Even the errors and bugs in this game are awesome.
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 181