Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204526 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1695 on: February 18, 2010, 09:05:37 am »

hu ok... but if I get the message that they found a path to my non reachable depot (something like that) ,it means I only get a caravan with mules but without the wagon, right? So I need to clear the path to the edge with a road I guess?

Caravans with wagons need a 3 tile wide path from a map edge to your depot.  This path does not need to be constructed from roads, but it does need to be clear of boulders and trees.  In most cases it does not matter where or on which edge you connect it to, or where you put your depot.  There are some unusual cases with sites bisected by rivers or other impassable terrain, where caravans will only spawn on one or the other side of the map.

If there are multiple different places where a caravan can spawn, they will pick one at random.  If there is not a three tile wide path between a map edge and your depot, you will only get small caravans consisting of pack animals and no wagons.  These will spawn in any random spot on the map edge.  Elven caravans always consist of only pack animals, but will appear where a caravan with wagons would appear if such a spot is available.  Immigrants, diplomats, and trade liaisons always pick a different random spot to appear each time.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Atlar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
4 Little Questions
« Reply #1696 on: February 18, 2010, 10:10:41 am »

1.Injury: One of my dwarves broke his leg in combat, he is resting now for the third year... Could my water source(which is a murky outside water pool) be the reason for this? Or what else could cause such a coma from only a broken leg?
2.Water: Do underground water sources dry up?
3.Water: Would it be possible to create a stable running source of water from a(/some) murky pools? I think of letting the water flow down a few z levels (where it would create a small river) then pumping it up again (where it would flow back in the pool)... possible?
4.Does tower-cap grow near an artficial underground water source?

thanks in advance!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: February 18, 2010, 11:18:36 am »

1.Injury: One of my dwarves broke his leg in combat, he is resting now for the third year... Could my water source(which is a murky outside water pool) be the reason for this? Or what else could cause such a coma from only a broken leg?
2.Water: Do underground water sources dry up?
3.Water: Would it be possible to create a stable running source of water from a(/some) murky pools? I think of letting the water flow down a few z levels (where it would create a small river) then pumping it up again (where it would flow back in the pool)... possible?

thanks in advance!

1) Wounds heal very randomly, I've never heard anyone speculate that low-quality water slows healing.  Water doesn't seem related to healing, in fact: I often have my wounded dwarves drink booze (by deconstructing their hospital beds) when I don't have water.  They seem to heal normally.  On a technical note, I'd be surprised if water in a bucket carried any information about it's source.

2) Not unless you drain the water out of an underground pool (:

3) Yes, if it rains and isn't too hot, you can harvest rainwater from murky pools.  However, don't put it back in the murky pools!  Any water in a murky pool is subject to evaporation, and it'll just get in the way of further rain.

4) Tower-caps will start growing on any muddy underground tiles, anywhere.  This includes water channels, even constructed ones, so build floors (roads might work too) anywhere you're channeling water underground or trees will block the flow.  Even if it's magma.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: February 18, 2010, 12:28:43 pm »

4) Tower-caps will start growing on any muddy underground tiles, anywhere.  This includes water channels, even constructed ones, so build floors (roads might work too) anywhere you're channeling water underground or trees will block the flow.  Even if it's magma.
Just remember that tower-caps will only ever grow if you have discovered a naturally occurring underground water source - a pool or an underground river.  The discovery message you get when you find one of those two features is a necessary trigger to unlock tower-caps and other underground plants.  Once that has happened tower-caps will grow on any muddied underground soil or rock, regardless of where they are on the map or what the source of the water that muddied that tile was.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: February 18, 2010, 12:48:52 pm »

They'll also become true alcoholics if they are "desensitized", in other words "...doesn't care about anything anymore", which can lower productivity significantly as they're always running off for a drink.

No offense, but have you actually experienced this? I thought not caring "about anything anymore" was normal for warriors, and I have not seen them start drinking more. They'd continue sparring and fighting as earlier.

EDIT: I've now looked at some of my fighters, and they have traits like "getting used to tragedy", the aforementioned "doesn't care about anything anymore" and being "a hardened individual". The first trait (and probably the second) doesn't make much sense, as there have only been few casualties in my fort (no deaths and only a couple wounded).

OK. It's really that easy. I want to make this post so others could link to it later :P.

Thus I type:
elves chop trees!!!

Now this is something you don't see on forums, so if you would want to find this post, type "elves chop trees" in the search.

Now, the answer, to bust the myth:

Hello Tarn! If you have a time, could you help me to resolve an unneeded debate? Does "does not care for anything anymore" trait make dwarves to drink more than usual or not?

From what I can tell, it only effects the happiness effects for dwarves, but if a creature that does not have the alcohol dependence of dwarves gets to the maximum value, they acquire it.

It's really that easy to get a correct answer, much easier than to build unneeded debates :P.

Toady One is god, but a caring one. He answers our questions ;).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: February 18, 2010, 02:08:51 pm »

Fey Mood

I have a secretive clothier demanding stacked cloth and shell.

This correspond if not mistaken to silk cloth and turtle shell?

He is not moving to get it, some silk cloth are lying on the ground just a few tiles from him. What's going on?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: February 18, 2010, 02:09:51 pm »

He may require plant cloth, made from pig tails or similar.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: February 18, 2010, 02:27:21 pm »

1:How many squares are one z-level of embark tile?
2: how many squares in that single z-level can I dig through?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:29:33 pm by Heliman »

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: February 18, 2010, 02:56:17 pm »

right, but why he don't take my extra turtle shell? the item is in a dump pile outside, is not forbidden, civilian can go outside, path exists.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: February 18, 2010, 03:41:26 pm »

(deleted by poster)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 03:42:57 pm by sproingie »
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: February 18, 2010, 03:59:54 pm »

right, but why he don't take my extra turtle shell? the item is in a dump pile outside, is not forbidden, civilian can go outside, path exists.

Strange mood dwarves always collect the desired ingredients in order.  He won't collect the shell until he's got his cloth. 
I'm pretty sure Sphalerite's right about it needing to be plant cloth instead of silk.  Any type of shell will work though, it doesn't have to be lobster shell, so don't worry about that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: February 18, 2010, 04:29:36 pm »

There's plenty of trees on my embark site, yet no river, and it rarely rains..
Does this mean there SHOULD be an underground river somewhere?
Or will I just have to do without water?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: February 18, 2010, 04:32:17 pm »

Be sure your {o} menu orders are not preventing dwarves from utilizing refuse outside.

There's plenty of trees on my embark site, yet no river, and it rarely rains..
Does this mean there SHOULD be an underground river somewhere?
Or will I just have to do without water?
There's no way of knowing whether you have an underground river at your site unless you checked with the site finder on embark, or you cheat with a utility. You'll just have to dig around and look or find a new site.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: February 18, 2010, 04:43:11 pm »

Also, I've captured a fair amount of wolves and groundhogs.
They're all in cages although.
I plan to dig out a ditch to hold them in, but I'm not sure how to designate it as a place to keep the animals.
I know how to make pits, but how do I tell my dwarves to release the animals into the pit?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: February 18, 2010, 04:45:21 pm »

Once you have designated a pit, an option will appear. {P} then select the animals.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 181