Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204010 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1725 on: February 19, 2010, 04:57:56 am »

If you want to pick a fight, do it somewhere else. I'm not going there.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: February 19, 2010, 05:03:38 am »

I don't pick a fight, if you look back at my post it's just a big bunch of facts to kill the confusion. And I ask to show me the save. Answer PM please. Because it may be a contribution to the forums.

And I don't want you to spread false rumors, that's all, really. Nothing personal ;).

P.S. Also thanks for not "going there", my post could sound too accusing and I know a lot of people who would start a flamewar here, and I would be guilty, I know it.

Actually from other posts I quite like the way you exist here, you even cause less disorder than do I. The only problem I see is the lack of facts, and they come with experience only so noone can accuse you of this :P. Keep on searching the truth. And save please, you've got me really intrigued ;).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 05:09:28 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: February 19, 2010, 05:08:10 am »

Seriously now, what the hell is it with The Architect taking everything personally?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: February 19, 2010, 05:15:23 am »

Seriously now, what the hell is it with The Architect taking everything personally?

You can't take two incidents as a generality.

I explained myself carefully to you in the first, at which point you refused to reread what I had written and continued to berate me over my stupidity for suggesting something I never had. I stopped replying to avoid a flamewar over someone's failure to understand what "or" means. Tack stepped in and pointed out your mistake. You apologized, I accepted, and I said that it was important to read carefully before flaming. You took that as a rejection of your apology, and are now moving on to making me out as a villain in other threads. See a pattern?

Here, I tried to point out what I believe to be the truth about map features. Deon's response was to accuse me of intentionally spreading disinformation on multiple counts. If that's not picking a fight, I don't know what is.

Once again, Assimilateur, read before you flame.
The sigs topic:

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: February 19, 2010, 05:18:52 am »

Seriously, I didn't say you INTENTIONALLY spread disinformation, I say you do it because you don't search hard enough.

And to sum it up, do you have non-mountain underground rivers/pools or not? That's all I want to know.

I don't want to discuss personal matters, I am interested in more possibilities for my forts.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: February 19, 2010, 05:33:51 am »

And to sum it up, do you have non-mountain underground rivers/pools or not? That's all I want to know.

Magma pipes absolutely. As far as pools and rivers, I need to do some checking. It may be that erosion had caused a biome change.

So, I did some research. The wiki only mentions underground rivers and pools in mountains. However, as I have stated I have encountered them in many areas. It depends on how your map generated, as erosion and other changes can cause them to appear in unexpected places.
The sigs topic:

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: February 19, 2010, 05:45:16 am »

Thanks Deon for the answer and the nifty and amusing GIF about moats  :D

I shall not exploit that until it is fixed by the Great One...

Now about...

They own the things they intentionally get for themselves, such as clothing items and trinkets and stuff. They don't own items you assign to them: armor/weapons/tools. They happily run around in rotten clothes because Toady One remove the unhappy thought from that, and once the economy kicks in, they buy clothes and store them in their cabinets. At least I haven't got a single clothing item to rot away before the economy starts.

If they have lost (by wear and tears) a cloth, then when drafted into the military they will take new ones, if available, right? And then when they are back to civilians, they won't drop them, because even civilians wear clothes?

I don't understand how you manage to not have clothing rot away... As soon as there is an used cloth, my dwarves drop it on the ground...

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: February 19, 2010, 06:02:42 am »

The whole clothing issue is buggy at the moment. Toady mentioned great improvements in the future, but the only change he specifically cited for the next version is that soldiers will now perform tasks like storing clothes and items when off-duty. I'm hopeful that his statement indicates a more general overhaul of the system.

I am having trouble understanding your specific question due to the language barrier. Armor is the only thing that dwarves put on for the military (until the new version, when we can set uniforms). This may cause them to drop bits of their civilian clothing and never bother with picking it back up again, whether they return to civilian duties or not. Some dwarves seem to litter often for no particular reason; this is definitely not intended and from my point of view it seems to be a bug. In my first megaproject fort I had one metalsmith who littered constantly (in spite of owning storage space; he was always claiming dropped rotted clothing from dead dwarves or invaders and then leaving it lying around).

Unfortunately, we cannot order any interaction with owned items. The only method I've heard of for eliminating them is moving them onto a garbage compactor by building on them (causing them to be moved to any adjacent empty square). An alternative would be peremptory execution of the offending dwarf, but I don't consider that an option.
The sigs topic:

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: February 19, 2010, 06:19:18 am »

I explained myself carefully to you in the first, at which point you refused to reread what I had written and continued to berate me over my stupidity for suggesting something I never had.

That's the thing, though. Formulations like
sometimes the thought processes of forum posters make me want to scream. Why do I even need to type this!?
can be taken as condescending or implying stupidity, despite your assurances to the contrary. That, coupled with my mistaken perception that you were the one who misunderstood me, and not the other way around, made me reply perhaps less politely than I otherwise would have. Then I apologized, to which you responded with what sounded like a thinly-veiled insult.

I'm not saying you're sounding as confrontational as you do on purpose, only that I'm by no means alone in getting such a vibe from you, if the responses I've read are any indication.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: February 19, 2010, 07:02:44 am »

Assimilateur, it's solved, let's move on to the questions :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: February 19, 2010, 07:11:02 am »

He's just upset from another thread, in which he publicly called me to task over something that at worst would have been a typo, if he hadn't misread it in the first place. I made a comment on the general bad behavior of everyone who had jumped in with him (apparently without even reading the post he was commenting on) and he took it as a personal insult. Apparently he is now waiting for me to upset someone else so that he can feel vindicated.

Assimilateur, I don't want a problem with you. I didn't even report you when you attacked me for helping you. Just drop it, let's be friends. If not I'll finally have to do something about it.
The sigs topic:

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: February 19, 2010, 07:31:42 am »

I have a dwarf who got attacked by a Giant Cave Swallow & lost his left leg from the ankle down (it was sitting in the graveyard stockpile for a few seasons). Other than the dark grey wounds for the missing ankle, foot & all 5 toes he has no other injuries any more but he still just flops about in bed in pain. Will he ever be any use or should I just forbid the doors to the room I had him dragged to & let him starve/dehydrate to death? I've thought about trying the 'water therapy' concept to train up his toughness, does anyone know if this will this have any effect on him becoming a useful member of my fortress?
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: February 19, 2010, 07:42:50 am »

The only thing I can suggest if you're not into cheating is the Water Therapy.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: February 19, 2010, 08:11:31 am »

I don't get something...

I have a weapon stockpile with accept on steel XBow only
I have global stockpile it should take from with steel XBow

path exists, item haulers idle.

Nothing happen...

the weapon stockpile is made of one tile, and there is an empty bin in it. Can it be the problem? That the dorfs want an empty tile to put a new bin?
Or perhaps I can't take from a bin made of several weapons types?

Well, if you have some clues?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: February 19, 2010, 09:02:54 am »

Assimilateur, it's solved, let's move on to the questions :P.

I wouldn't exactly call this solved yet, but this is probably best solved in private. No need to spam this thread with our personal bullshit.

the weapon stockpile is made of one tile, and there is an empty bin in it. Can it be the problem?

Try making a stockpile of two or more tiles, because I think that's exactly your problem. It doesn't make much sense to not fill that last empty bin or barrel in a stockpile, but that's how it seems to work.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 181