Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 203988 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1965 on: March 05, 2010, 02:22:12 am »

Damn. That means I'll have to waste metal making chains, or (worse!) buy rope from the merchants.

I've been buying every cage merchants bring because usually when I do that the Elves decide to bring Grizzly Bears and other cool animals on their caravan. Hasn't worked so far in this game, tho. So I had a bunch of extras, and I vaguely remembered somebody on these boards recommending caged animals as sentries...

Nick

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: March 05, 2010, 02:23:32 am »

Hi,

1. How can I place where I want an artifact, as it can't be dumped? Play (extensively) with stockpiles settings?
2. Putting it on a ground is enough to give passing dwarves happy thoughts?
3. How can I use efficiently pits, if  I can't know which creatures are already there and which ones are still outside, when using the Send to Pit submenu?

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #1967 on: March 05, 2010, 04:20:46 am »

No clue on #1 or #2, but I believe the answer to #3 to be "can't do that".
Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: March 05, 2010, 05:33:28 am »

I think that DDR is right in that pits are, in short, a pain in the ass. That's the reason for why I generally don't use them for livestock. I'm also not convinced about livestock milling around in your meeting area causing any lag worse than they would in a pit, as they'd do exactly the same there.

Stockpile settings are the only way I know of determining where an artifact gets placed. Make a single-tile stockpile that only accepts artifacts of the desired kind, and no bins, and it should work. I don't think they will admire things in a stockpile, though, as I've never seen a dwarf admire finished goods or weapons, only furniture.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: March 05, 2010, 05:55:51 am »

ok for the Pit, yet another great feature hampered by the #### interface.  :-\  (although the game overall is awesome...)

About artifact, thanks for the answer. It is indeed written in the Wiki that dwarves don't admire stockpiled artifacts, so as this is a craft-work, it can't be admired at all  I guess. Still it will serve as an ornamentation for my crypt, plus raise the value of my fortress.

Now the big silly question? Why would I like to raise continually the value of my fortress? To get more migrants, to get more sieges, to be King instead of the king? Just for the Fun of it? I know this is silly... but everybody try to maximize the fortress value and I don't see the big thing here.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: March 05, 2010, 06:22:52 am »

About artifact, thanks for the answer. It is indeed written in the Wiki that dwarves don't admire stockpiled artifacts, so as this is a craft-work, it can't be admired at all  I guess. Still it will serve as an ornamentation for my crypt, plus raise the value of my fortress.

I just remembered one thing: you can forbid the artifact after it's been delivered and then remove the stockpile. I don't think it will get admired that way (from what I've seen only things that get properly placed as buildings/furniture get admired, and finished goods don't even if they're outside of a stockpile), but it might be worth a shot.

Now the big silly question? Why would I like to raise continually the value of my fortress? To get more migrants, to get more sieges, to be King instead of the king? Just for the Fun of it? I know this is silly... but everybody try to maximize the fortress value and I don't see the big thing here.

Raising your fortress value is one of the ways of getting a king. There's a more thorough explanation on the wiki, as I don't remember the exact factors and values when for getting a king the non-spoilery way. Once your pop limit has been reached, more wealth won't get you more immigrants. A high wealth is also needed if you want to attract dragons and other foul beasts; again, I don't know what the numbers here are. All I know is that I didn't see any megabeasts the last time my wealth had been in the 7 digits (or was that low 8 digits?), which suggests that either my wealth was still insufficient, or that I wasn't lucky and/or patient enough, as I'm positive that I had dragons in my world.

In short, I don't think there's a point in endlessly stockpiling wealth. Once it's high enough to meet your objectives (population, getting a king, being attacked by dragons, giving everyone fancy furniture, etc.), it might be best to limit your production so that you don't make much more than you export. Having tens of thousands of otherwise useless trade goods isn't exactly conducive to a good framerate.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: March 05, 2010, 03:24:54 pm »

Thanks Assimilateur for the detailed answer!

A question about smelting items, I smelted 2 copper weapons and got nothing in return. Is there a chance to have nothing, depending of the skill of the blacksmith and perhaps the weight of the item (tried to smelt kobolds copper daggers so I could make sparring warhammer with them...)

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: March 05, 2010, 03:42:17 pm »

When you smelt something, you get 1/3 of the amount of metal used to forge it. Smelt one more for your hammer.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: March 05, 2010, 06:02:20 pm »

When you smelt something, you get 1/3 of the amount of metal used to forge it. Smelt one more for your hammer.

Not true. You get 1/10 the material size of the item back in fractional bars. If you smelt two copper giant axes, for example, you'll get a bar back, because they have material size 5, if I remember correctly.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: March 05, 2010, 06:35:33 pm »

Yeah, what Jim said. Look up the material sizes (that can be found on the wiki or in the raw text files) of items you're melting, multiply them by 1/10 and that's gonna be how much metal you get back. Furnace operating skill doesn't affect that, it only makes melting and smelting faster.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #1975 on: March 05, 2010, 10:33:03 pm »

Floodgates, doors, floorhatches: Invisible when open. If you can see it, it's closed. :)
Or hasn't been built.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: March 06, 2010, 02:18:20 am »

Yeah, what Jim said. Look up the material sizes (that can be found on the wiki or in the raw text files) of items you're melting, multiply them by 1/10 and that's gonna be how much metal you get back. Furnace operating skill doesn't affect that, it only makes melting and smelting faster.

so are fractions preserved? at the smelter, globally as a game variable, or lost?

questions about food:
1. what is the difference in interest between the quality of food? I guess the richer ones give more happy thoughts and can be sold for more? So... why produce the lowest quality ones? Because I don't think you produce less low quality meals for the same quantity of ingredients..
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 02:25:17 am by vorpal+5 »

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: March 06, 2010, 02:25:20 am »

so are fractions preserved? at the smelter, globally as a game variable, or lost?

Fractions are preserved at THAT smelter, yes -- let's use a copper large dagger for example, because that's worth 1/10 of a bar when melted.  Melting down ten of those daggers at a single smelter will get you a copper bar, but melting down 5 at one smelter and 5 at another will not.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: March 06, 2010, 04:48:33 am »

ok... thanks for the details :)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: March 06, 2010, 07:43:06 am »

1. what is the difference in interest between the quality of food? I guess the richer ones give more happy thoughts and can be sold for more? So... why produce the lowest quality ones? Because I don't think you produce less low quality meals for the same quantity of ingredients..

Growing a larger variety of food crops is mostly useful for roleplaying reasons ("I care about the quality and variety of catering at my fortress"). Even then, growing the inferior crops, like prickle berries, is virtually useless. Check on the wiki which food crops have a plant value of 4 and only grow those, with the exception of sun berries, because the drink made out of them is the best in the game. Note that sun berries aren't as readily available as most other crops, as the biome they grow in is rather specific.

It's good to have some variety in drinks, as otherwise dwarves will grow tired of drinking the "same old booze lately", but I think it's perfectly feasible to get by on just one food crop (I recommend sweet bots and quarry bushes; I'll explain later), as long as you also grow pig tails or rope reed for fiber, reserving some of the harvest for brewing. Ultimately, it's all up to you. I like to grow all underground crops, while focusing on my favorite sweet pods.

As for my reasons for recommending sweet pods and quarry bushes: the former, when processed to barrels to make dwarven syrup (this is important, as milling them to dwarven sugar works differently) and the latter, when processed to bags to make quarry bush leaves, will yield more products than other crops and methods of processing. To be precise, the above give you 5 times the number of plants in a stack, while everything else gives you just 1 times that. To illustrate, a stack of 5 sweet pods, when milled will give you a stack of 5 sugar, but when processed to a barrel will give you a stack of 25(!) syrup, all in one barrel. Lavish meals made out of large stacks of dwarven syrup and or quarry bush leaves will be really valuable, especially if the cook is experienced.

Your priorities when raising livestock should be similar in that your decision what to raise should be determined by the modvalue and size of the animal. For example, a cow is more valuable than a horse, having the same size, slightly more fat, and a higher modvalue than it. Of course that doesn't mean that you should never use horses when cows are available, just that when you want to get the most bang for your buck, those are the things to look for.

One thing I haven't mentioned were preferences: when a dwarf likes a particular product, they will appreciate it more, obviously enough. However it is not feasible, unless you've got OCD or a very small fort, to cater to every dwarf's preferences, and going for the most valuable and/or abundant food is much easier. Besides, once your cook and brewer (notice the singular; just using one of each is preferable in that they will gain experience faster and should have no problem producing enough even for a hundred dwarves) become more experienced, the food and drink is going to be giving your dwarves good thoughts even if it's not their favorite.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 181