Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204561 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2025 on: March 08, 2010, 09:06:50 pm »

Sometimes biomes with high volcanism are next to biomes with low volcanism, and the border has to be somewhere. :) Igneous extrusive and sedimentary layers are rare on the same map with out-of-the-box DF, but can be made considerably more common by tweaking worldgen to mix up the high and low volcanism areas.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: March 08, 2010, 09:50:14 pm »

How do you remove corpses from cages?
Create a garbage dump zone, then designate the corpse for dumping.  Unforbid the corpse afterwards if you want to butcher it or whatever.  This is also how you reclaim seeds, bones, or shells left over after taming a caged animal.
quoted.
In case there were any questions about how crazy the interface for this game is.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: March 09, 2010, 02:32:21 am »

How do you remove corpses from cages?
Create a garbage dump zone, then designate the corpse for dumping.  Unforbid the corpse afterwards if you want to butcher it or whatever.  This is also how you reclaim seeds, bones, or shells left over after taming a caged animal.
quoted.
In case there were any questions about how crazy the interface for this game is.

my favorite is certainly that you can't switch on duty or out of duty a military dwarf from the select squad (x) or view creature (v) menu, but only from the military (m) list. This is handy, really... (and yes, this is irony, the most common metal found in DF  :P )

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: March 09, 2010, 03:01:04 am »

Actually....

"v" - "p" - "A"

No?
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #2029 on: March 09, 2010, 03:42:31 am »

technically that will work if you're happy to do the whole squad the dwarf is a part of
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: March 09, 2010, 03:48:21 am »

technically that will work if you're happy to do the whole squad the dwarf is a part of

Except that

.... you can't switch on duty or out of duty a military dwarf from the select squad (x) or view creature (v) menu, but only from the military (m) list....

was the statement, not "One can't manipulate squad membership from the Select Squad (x) or View Creature (v) ...."

That is technically correct.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: March 09, 2010, 06:11:07 am »

Considering I can designate for digging etc with a mouse, it would be much easeir if I could right click on a dwarf and pick "(De-)Activate (Just this dwarf)".
Garrie.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: March 09, 2010, 01:53:41 pm »

Except that

.... you can't switch on duty or out of duty a military dwarf from the select squad (x) or view creature (v) menu, but only from the military (m) list....

was the statement, not "One can't manipulate squad membership from the Select Squad (x) or View Creature (v) ...."

That is technically correct.
indeed :)

BuUt enough rants :)

1. can tower cap growing underground block passage  of fluids, I hope not!

2. are animals with restraints generating full pathfinding (thus reducing FPS)?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2033 on: March 09, 2010, 01:56:04 pm »

1. can tower cap growing underground block passage  of fluids, I hope not!
They can.  They'll even block magma.  Build roads or constructed floors to stop them from growing where you need water to flow unblocked.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: March 09, 2010, 11:01:11 pm »

Well, crap. That explains why I have water sloshing around in my underground aquaduct instead of staying at full pressure. Guess I'll just wait until my dwarfs drink all the water, then crack it open and send my dwarfs in to clean things out.

My question: Why do my windmills (and to a lesser extent, my waterwheels) seem to spontaneously destruct when I'm not looking? I suspect it has something to do with disengaging gears, is that right?
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: March 09, 2010, 11:37:18 pm »

My question: Why do my windmills (and to a lesser extent, my waterwheels) seem to spontaneously destruct when I'm not looking? I suspect it has something to do with disengaging gears, is that right?

If you disengage a gear assembly, then it no longer gives support to the things that are relying on it for support.  You should probably make sure that nothing relies on a gear for support before you link it to a lever to be able to disengage it.  As far as windmills go, don't hook up a gear directly below the windmill (or directly below a vertical axle directly below the windmill) -- instead, hook up a gear that goes off to the side (but still is along the flow of power from the windmill to what you're powering).  For water wheels, make sure that there is a mechanical component not described as "hanging" between the water wheel and the gear you want to hook up.

You could also build a windmill with a stable (not hanging over empty space) foundation.  After the windmill is built, build a machine component of some sort a z-level below the windmill's center tile and the power will somehow pass through the floor.  A windmill built this way isn't in danger of collapsing if the machine components below it stop giving support.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: March 10, 2010, 02:13:30 am »

Thanks for the reply about blocking tower caps.

As for FPS, are chained animals CPU intensive? I know that animals behind a 'not pet passable but not forbidden' door are, but I wonder about the former.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: March 10, 2010, 02:27:10 am »

Chained animals make much, much smaller demands on pathing than free animals. They will only ever try to path to places that are within 1 tile of the chain.

Steev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: March 10, 2010, 02:36:09 am »

Just hit 60 dwarfs and I'm wondering if the Fortress Guard does anything besides sparring and wandering around, I had a goblin ambush attack a lone woodcutter not too far from the fortress yet the guardsdwarfs did nothing but stand around while the elite wrestlers did the heavy lifting.

I haven't appointed a Captain of the Guard yet so will it matter if I'm only at 5/6 Fortress Guard?
For a greater challenge, try doing that with a globin outpost. I will someday
Seriously, man. If I ever see you misspell 'goblin' again I am going to find and kill you.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: March 10, 2010, 02:42:23 am »

Just hit 60 dwarfs and I'm wondering if the Fortress Guard does anything besides sparring and wandering around, I had a goblin ambush attack a lone woodcutter not too far from the fortress yet the guardsdwarfs did nothing but stand around while the elite wrestlers did the heavy lifting.

I haven't appointed a Captain of the Guard yet so will it matter if I'm only at 5/6 Fortress Guard?
They do justice related stuff (stuff dwarfs into justice cages) which prevent the hammerer from hammerering dwarfs when you don't make enough pig iron items just because someone said that you sshould (even though you have no pig iron...)

They spar heaps. So if you keep an eye on them, swap them out before they become legendary and replace them with a peasant to get good haulers. Or put them in your millitary and use you Fortress / Royal Guard to train your recruits.
Garrie.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 181