Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204032 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2055 on: March 15, 2010, 12:41:20 am »

Build the cage you want to assign animals to.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: March 15, 2010, 01:02:57 am »

How? There is no assign command when I use Q to select the cage on the stock pile.
There is no assign command on the kitten when I use Unit then Z

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: March 15, 2010, 01:19:25 am »

Sorry, I'm being short in order to avoid retyping a long explanation of information that is easily available on the wiki. Build with {b}. Assign with {q}>{a}.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: March 15, 2010, 02:11:16 am »

Thanks.
I have to B place it somewhere, then assign it. I looked at the wiki and the newbies
"As animal restraining device, where you simply plant it and allocate any animals (except pets) you want in it. Females that are caged will not get pregnant, but animals can bear children when caged."
So I see again that plant = build

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: March 15, 2010, 03:23:20 am »

Is it possible to have hippos and chasm on one map?

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #2060 on: March 15, 2010, 04:42:48 am »

I'm not sure what biome(s) hippos come up on, but AFAIK chasms come up on Mountain only.
For hippos to come up on a map with chasms on it, you need to find a map that has mountains intersecting the biome that hippos are on (then be lucky enough that there is  chasm on one of the mountain tiles, AND be lucky enough to get hippos spawning on that non-mountaint tile).

So: Possible? Definately.
Likely? Not in any given world-gen. But with enough iterations, yes it will happen.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: March 15, 2010, 11:35:06 am »

You want mountains next to a tropical river or lake, as Garrie said.  Try genning hot, wet maps with lots of rivers and a high elevation variation.  Use elevation meshes, too (you want the mid-range elevations to have low or no frequency so you can get lowlands right next to mountains).
Speaking of theft, I modded a couple of civs based on the kobold raws (made new entities using mostly kobold data, but modified in a way that they'd siege me ASAP). Every time a modified sieger would escape, I'd be seeing engravings of them stealing the very equipment they came with.

Now, does anyone know what tag is responsible for this? I already removed [item_thief] (otherwise, they wouldn't be sieging as early as they do), so that can't be it.
If I had to guess (and I do because I don't know, although I have heard of this before) I'd say it's lockpicker or skulking.
My human liason has an accident with a giant rat a few years back. Since then the humans send an army to besiege me every year instead of a caravan. So I got two questions:

1) Will the humans ever send me another caravan? I need wood to make (several hundred) beds, and that'll take a lot longer if I have to rely on the elves.

2) Right now their siege is very boring. I locked my sally port, raised the drawbridge, and now the humies are just milling around outside. How soon will they give up?
Eventually the humans will send a diplomat to make peace with you.  Seigers can stick around for multiple seasons. 

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: March 15, 2010, 11:41:12 am »

If I had to guess (and I do because I don't know, although I have heard of this before) I'd say it's lockpicker or skulking.

OK, thanks for the input. It can't be lockpicker, as that's a creature tag that only my kobolds, and never my modded creatures, had. Don't know about skulking; I see that I've removed it, but for all I know that tag might have been still in use in my modded entities at that time.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: March 15, 2010, 03:35:23 pm »

I tried to get this to happen last night and today, and I couldn't, even with the world painter.  I can't prove that it's impossible, but I have the feeling that it actually is impossible (or at least that it is maddeningly difficult).  Perhaps this is because few underwater creatures actually seem to be appearing in lakes that don't have an implied river running through that tile, and only brooks can exist in mountain regions (a stream or river is mutually exclusive with a mountain region, a brook does not seem to support aquatic creatures, and chasms only appear in mountain regions).  The raws for hippos say that they appear only in rivers and lakes, so...

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: March 15, 2010, 06:03:43 pm »

I killed a goblin snatcher. I wanted to make a goblin leather backpack, eat goblin meat, and make goblin bone greaves. Is it possible to utilize corpses or goblins, kobolds, or even dwarves?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: March 15, 2010, 06:18:16 pm »

I killed a goblin snatcher. I wanted to make a goblin leather backpack, eat goblin meat, and make goblin bone greaves. Is it possible to utilize corpses or goblins, kobolds, or even dwarves?

You can utilize the bones and skulls of humanoids (not counting dwarves) no problem. Using their meat, fat and leather is either downright impossible, or would require modding I am unfamiliar with.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: March 15, 2010, 08:13:54 pm »

the [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE] tag added to the entry of dwarves (under 'mountain') in entity_default in the raws folder will allow your dwarves to butcher intelligent enemies they kill, and [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE] will just let them butcher whoever they please.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: March 15, 2010, 08:16:46 pm »

the [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE] tag added to the entry of dwarves (under 'mountain') in entity_default in the raws folder will allow your dwarves to butcher intelligent enemies they kill, and [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE] will just let them butcher whoever they please.
No it doesn't. I've been playing cats for the past couple of months, who have those ethics, and cannot butcher sapients.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: March 16, 2010, 01:14:27 am »

I started carving my dwarven hall out of Jet, and it seems I can do nothing with the jet boulders lying around.
I had hoped to make the doors, tables and thrones out of it. Seems that doesn't work, so I tried some crafts, that doesn't work.
Is it a Jem? I don't see it in the gem list from the wiki...
It calls it an economic stone.
Just designate a refuse zone outside and designate it all for dump so I can work the floors?

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: March 16, 2010, 01:47:20 am »

Jet is not an economic stone, but there is a so-called "economic stone mod" that makes it act like one so that it has to be enabled before you can do anything with it.  I believe there is a download of DF with the Mayday tileset already installed that also includes this mod.  This trips a fair number of people up, because it's not part of normal DF, but people seem to favor that tileset and just download the copy of DF with it already installed.  To enable jet for whatever purpose (assuming you just unknowingly already have that mod), press 'z', go to stones, then scroll down to jet and press enter to turn it green instead of red.

Does it change the secondary-scroll keys too?  They're usually '-' for secondary up, '+' for secondary down, and '*' and '/' for secondary page down/up.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 181