Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204488 times)

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2295 on: April 18, 2010, 07:04:46 pm »

'Champion' is a position now, I'm pretty sure your military dwarves won't be locked into a combat role anymore.
note this is a thread for the last version, 40d. :)

I got a question...

Why does my dwarves don't fill the murky pool with water?

I zoned it and assigned it as pit/pond.

I also have zoned the water source which is the brook.

I also have some buckets.

Hmm, did you make sure to set it as an "empty" pond?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: April 18, 2010, 07:06:47 pm »

'Champion' is a position now, I'm pretty sure your military dwarves won't be locked into a combat role anymore.
As soon as they become a hero they will.

Stik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: April 18, 2010, 07:11:25 pm »

What is the use of a totem?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: April 18, 2010, 07:14:34 pm »

A trade good, that's it.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: April 18, 2010, 08:22:51 pm »

A trade good, that's it.

A not very valuable one, to be precise. The best use for skulls is to level up your bone carver. After he's legendary, I wouldn't bother with totems.

As soon as they become a hero they will.

In 40d a hero was actually "below" a champion. You mean to say that in the new version they've scrapped the title of champion (or rather, its use to describe a legendary fighter) but left hero in and made it behave exactly as before? That would really be one hell of a buzzkill; believe it or not, but being able to un-recruit dwarves was one of the main things I was looking forward to.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 08:28:03 pm by assimilateur »

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: April 19, 2010, 12:58:20 pm »

In 40d a hero was actually "below" a champion. You mean to say that in the new version they've scrapped the title of champion (or rather, its use to describe a legendary fighter) but left hero in and made it behave exactly as before? That would really be one hell of a buzzkill; believe it or not, but being able to un-recruit dwarves was one of the main things I was looking forward to.
I'm pretty sure I've had a couple dwarves in 31 go above axe lord etc while fighting and I could still turn them back into citizens afterwards.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: April 19, 2010, 05:17:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've had a couple dwarves in 31 go above axe lord etc while fighting and I could still turn them back into citizens afterwards.

Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks for clearing that up.

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: April 19, 2010, 05:34:42 pm »

Does a Craftsdwarf's workshop require ALL of wood, stone, and boneworking? Cause mine is not getting built for nothin'.
With apostrophes,
Rastaan angers PhoenicIan.
To my amusement.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: April 19, 2010, 05:38:46 pm »

No, just bone carving - and conceivably wood- or stonecrafting, but I never use those so I'm not sure - is enough. If it's not getting built then your dwarves might be having problems reaching it, or maybe they're busy with other stuff. Its building might also have gotten suspended, so make sure to check for that.

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: April 19, 2010, 05:41:49 pm »

It says 'construction inactive', and it's pretty damn easy to reach. It's in the same room as my woodworker's thingymajigger. Do I not have the right materials? Do I -need- bone?
With apostrophes,
To my amusement.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: April 19, 2010, 05:46:34 pm »

My knowledge is based on 40d, and for all I know this might have been changed - though it would be a weird as hell change - so if you're using the new version then feel free to disregard my input.

You don't need bone or anything like that to build a craftsdwarf's workshop. You can build it out of a single piece of rough rock, a wooden log, a metal (or soap or coke or whatever) bar or block.

Are all/most of your dwarves extremely busy hauling stuff? Even easy jobs like building a workshop can be delayed for surprisingly long periods when you've got hundreds of items to stockpile or dump and everyone has their hauling labors enabled.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:49:40 pm by assimilateur »

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: April 19, 2010, 05:48:33 pm »

If someone would build the damn thing. Instead, of my 7 dorfs I tend to have 3-4 idlers.

Also, what can I do with magnetite?
With apostrophes,
To my amusement.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: April 19, 2010, 05:56:40 pm »

If someone would build the damn thing. Instead, of my 7 dorfs I tend to have 3-4 idlers.

If you want some of your dwarves to focus on things like crafting, then it might be best to disable some of their other labors, like refuse or stone hauling.

Also, what can I do with magnetite?

You can smelt it to get iron or make rock furniture directly out of the ore.

For future reference, there's a quicker way of finding this sort of thing out than asking here and waiting for a reply. Once you've dug out a given mineral, i.e. obtained a rock that's now on your floor, you press k and with your cursor/selector now over your rock, press enter. This brings up info on the mineral (or bar of coal, metal, etc.), including its uses. Note that most types of rock have no particular uses, beyond being able to build furniture, blocks, floors or walls out of them.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: April 19, 2010, 06:07:12 pm »

Just out of curiosity did you make sure to check that any of your idle dwarves have one of the crafting labors enabled?
Since you didn't mention it. :x

Baron Of Hell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: April 19, 2010, 11:13:26 pm »

The screen that shows inactive should also tell you what job is needed to build it. Make sure you have dwarf with that job and turn off the other jobs.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 181