Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204658 times)

Leesin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2355 on: May 08, 2010, 07:16:19 am »

I read in different threads about all these things people can do, like tie wardogs to an entrance or throw a cat into a channel where you flood it with water/magma and other stuff, how on earth do you do all this kind of stuff ? to me it just seems like I have no control over anything like this, I just give basic orders and wait for my dwarfs to dig that, carry that, build that or make that, lol.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: May 08, 2010, 07:34:23 am »

Hi!

I read in different threads about all these things people can do, like tie wardogs to an entrance or throw a cat into a channel where you flood it with water/magma and other stuff, how on earth do you do all this kind of stuff ? to me it just seems like I have no control over anything like this, I just give basic orders and wait for my dwarfs to dig that, carry that, build that or make that, lol.

Well, that is part of learning the game: Some of these things require you to look carefully at what options certain commands offer you, while others are just clever applications of features.

For example, tying wardogs to an entrance is basically a very easy thing (though I haven't done it myself as I hate dogs and do not suffer them in my fortresses):
1. Acquire stray tame dog. (brought on embark or bought)
2. Acquire rope or chain. (brought on embark, bought, or produced in your workshops)
3. Build kennels if you don't have them and give the train war dog order
4. Build the rope/chain (under the 'b'uild menu, you have to select restraints) at the location you want it to be. Basically, the creature will be in the 3x3 square with the rope/chain in the center.
5. Once the dog has become a war dog (green announcement), 'q'uery the rope/chain and 'a'ssign the war dog.
A dwarf will then fetch the war dog and tie it to the rope/chain.

One very nice aspect of Dwarf Fortress is its consistency which allows us to be creative and use things in an unusual manner. So, you should see it as a challenge to your creativity. Have fun!

Deathworks

Leesin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: May 08, 2010, 07:59:39 am »

Ahhh cool!, thanks :). I guess it's also because I just haven't got anywhere near to trying all of the building components, hopefully I notice things along the way!.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: May 08, 2010, 08:13:44 am »

How do I forbid entrance to certain zones?I forgot...
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2359 on: May 08, 2010, 09:07:12 am »

How do I forbid entrance to certain zones?I forgot...
You can't forbid dwarves from entering certain areas, but you can set a burrow and restrict dwarves to never leave that burrow.  To block all dwarves from a small area you'll have to set the entire rest of the world to a burrow and assign all the dwarves to it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: May 08, 2010, 12:23:45 pm »

Ah really? So it's a known bug? Right thanks, into the mgma pipe they go. And in reply to The Architect:

40d question, my dwarves are refusing to bury all the cat corpses left behind when I decimated the fort's pet population through df companion, I'd have used a more tradition method like spikes or bridge over lava but many have the pet owners also had children which I did not want to kill.

Leesin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: May 08, 2010, 02:07:47 pm »

Is it normal that about 5 rangers/hunters I've had have been killed whilst hunting ? lol. I can't imagine what killed them to be honest!.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: May 08, 2010, 02:21:35 pm »

The game won't tell you what killed them, and in 40d you can't even zoom to their death location, but you can open the units list with "u" and look for dangerous creatures.  Like carp, or unicorns, or undead beasties. 

Also note that your hunters are dorfs, so when they run out of bolts trying to shoot down that skeletal elephant, they'll happily charge into melee with it. 
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Leesin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: May 08, 2010, 03:48:17 pm »

Yeah... I bet they are running out of bolts then instead of going to get more they get into a wrestling match with the enemy. Guess the next hunter I get I will attach dogs to him lol.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: May 08, 2010, 03:50:23 pm »

Hi!

I recommend that you see whether the elven traders bring grizzly bears. Those can be trained to war grizzly bears using the train war dog command at the kennel and should have a bit more of a push.

Deathworks

Leesin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: May 08, 2010, 05:04:42 pm »

Oh cool ! thanks :D. Now for some reason my new Hunter keeps going unconcious, he doesn't have any kind of wound/injury at all, he just randomly passes lmao. All of his body is in white names, I learned to check that when I found one of my champions in bed with a broken leg from sparring *facepalm*. I also finally found out how one of my other champions died and why I never probably found his corpse, my main leading champion killed him, probably a sparring accident, I'm also guessing all the haulers etc in the fort just scooped all of his equipment and corpse up straight away. xD.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: May 09, 2010, 03:14:15 am »

How do I drop a caged goblin from a tower?
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: May 09, 2010, 03:51:05 am »

first, either build the goblins cage, or make a stockpile that only accepts goblins at the top of the tower next to the ledge or whatever form which you want to drop him/her. Then make a pit/pond zone (i). [k] over the cage and press enter to see the name of the goblin. Then set the pit information of the pit zone to deisgnate that goblin for pitting. Alternatively arm your champions with warhammers and have them stationed at the top of the tower, link the goblin cages to levers and let a good old game of goblinball commece.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: May 09, 2010, 03:55:42 am »

Thanks.

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: May 09, 2010, 04:51:27 am »

If I have one fort going, can I start a new game and not lose the old fort? That is, in the same version of DF (currently using 40d).
With apostrophes,
Rastaan angers PhoenicIan.
To my amusement.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 181