Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204508 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2385 on: May 10, 2010, 04:41:24 am »

If you're talking about a roof you built, then you have to remove a tile with d-n before you can place the stair. If you're trying to dig, you simply designate a down stair.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: May 10, 2010, 09:58:58 am »

Are there any ways to keep water from freezing? In winter all the water freezes, and dwarves die because of thirst

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2387 on: May 10, 2010, 11:25:26 am »

Are there any ways to keep water from freezing? In winter all the water freezes, and dwarves die because of thirst
Make an underground waterway(even just one tile diverted from the river to under a hill will do), or build a roof over the river itself.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: May 10, 2010, 12:00:59 pm »

erm, actually...

I was dead wrong. I got the whole thing backwards. Sorry! I forgot that Blocks have a 5x material multiplier, so making it out of stone (aka gold nuggets) blocks is better than gold bars, although they're still better than unshaped gold nuggets. And worst of all is gold (metal) blocks, except that there's a glitch right now allowing you to make them out of 1 bar each.

All of this is dependent on gold nuggets' value vs gold bars. With platinum, nuggets are more valuable than bars. This is very backwards, and I believe gold bars are more valuable than nuggets. So... while gold blocks would normally be the worst thing, right now it's the best.

oh snap! thanks again

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: May 10, 2010, 12:03:08 pm »

Make an underground waterway(even just one tile diverted from the river to under a hill will do), or build a roof over the river itself.

Thanks but how do I make a roof?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: May 10, 2010, 12:04:16 pm »

Build floor tiles on higher z-levels. Build stairs to access higher z-levels.

Covering rivers with floor tiles does not prevent freezing, however, so you'll have to use river diversion.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2391 on: May 10, 2010, 12:11:10 pm »

Build floor tiles on higher z-levels. Build stairs to access higher z-levels.

Covering rivers with floor tiles does not prevent freezing, however, so you'll have to use river diversion.
Oh right, I was thinking of how DC would only keep a tile as underground if it had a roof over it. :3

trevdogg100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Stories
« Reply #2392 on: May 10, 2010, 12:12:49 pm »

Thanks but how do I make a roof?

(b)uild [C]onstruction [f]floor
*needs to be one or more z levels above the river
*needs access to dry land
*can increase size with dtgm keys
Go read the best Dwarf Fortress Stories

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: May 10, 2010, 12:17:06 pm »

erm, actually...

I was dead wrong. I got the whole thing backwards. Sorry! I forgot that Blocks have a 5x material multiplier, so making it out of stone (aka gold nuggets) blocks is better than gold bars, although they're still better than unshaped gold nuggets. And worst of all is gold (metal) blocks, except that there's a glitch right now allowing you to make them out of 1 bar each.

did some wiki research, it looks like the ore and the metal have the same value, of 30 (backed up by the raws)

blocks have a base value of 5

so like you said, gold blocks would be worth 150 each, allowing me to cram 5x the value in to a given surface area, which is awesome

All of this is dependent on gold nuggets' value vs gold bars. With platinum, nuggets are more valuable than bars. This is very backwards, and I believe gold bars are more valuable than nuggets. So... while gold blocks would normally be the worst thing, right now it's the best.

so if understand, what you're saying is that since for gold, bars and ore are both worth 30, it makes more sense to just mason the ore in to blocks, since i'll have 150 per unit either way, and i won't need charcoal, and it saves me a step; but if bars were changed to be worth, say, 45, then it would be worth it to smelt and then turn them in to metal blocks, 'cause then each gold metal block would be worth 225, as opposed to the 150 of a gold ore block. is this right?

i appreciate the help, eventually we'll have a coherent theory of block dynamics and no one will need to be confused anymore

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: May 10, 2010, 12:20:33 pm »

Thanks for answers :) But I have another problem :( There are some elk birds that came out from the cavern and they interrupt my dwarves from doing everything. Is there anything I can do with that?

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: May 10, 2010, 02:12:18 pm »

Thanks for answers :) But I have another problem :( There are some elk birds that came out from the cavern and they interrupt my dwarves from doing everything. Is there anything I can do with that?

activate all your doods in to the military and hope that they win

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: May 11, 2010, 12:02:57 pm »

is this right?

i appreciate the help, eventually we'll have a coherent theory of block dynamics and no one will need to be confused anymore

Yep, you've got it. And you did your homework, putting it all together. Good job. Glad to help where I can.

Can't find Metal Block or furniture at all in the raws, to see what [SIZE] metal blocks are (and thus how many gold bars a block should normally require). But right now:
Gold nugget block: 150, 1 Gold nuggets (bad grammar, but it's just a game mechanic)
Gold bar: 30, 1 Gold nuggets + fuel
Gold block: 150, 1 Gold bar + fuel

With fixed smithing:
Gold block: 150, >1 Gold bar + fuel

So I guess economically speaking: gold nugget blocks will always be the best option. Hopefully you didn't build half of your construction out of gold bars because of my initial mistake!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: May 11, 2010, 06:53:06 pm »

So I guess economically speaking: gold nugget blocks will always be the best option. Hopefully you didn't build half of your construction out of gold bars because of my initial mistake!

I'm waiting on my bro to finish out his year (succession game) before I start anything, so I'm planning some stuff out in the meantime. Thanks again!

Life Swordsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: May 11, 2010, 09:14:08 pm »

Hey, so I'm playing the other day and I'm just checking my dwarfs relationships cause I like to keep track of these kinds of things. I'm zooming to where these dwarfs are on the map, and go to zoom on this child's older sister, and I get nothing. It zooms to some random part of the map, and the space that it highlights is empty. Now I'm kind of wondering about this, so I go and check out the older sister's thoughts, and it says on the first line, "Dumat Libashsavot has been ecstatic lately. She is happy to be free." So now I'm thinking to my self "was she captured by goblins and then somehow freed herself?" but every time I go to zoom to her, the tile was empty. So I send my military over to her spot, and nothing is found. One of my military dwarfs is even standing  on the exact tile that this child is on. Still nothing. What is going on, and is there a way to find this "invisible child?"

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: May 11, 2010, 09:37:09 pm »

Sounds just like the floating/flying creature bug, but you haven't mentioned the child on a light blue background. Is that what is on the square?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 181