Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204486 times)

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2430 on: May 14, 2010, 09:30:42 am »

Engraving doesn't work in 40d. When I press [d] then [e] and then select walls, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:42:16 am by Shangurath »

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: May 14, 2010, 09:37:05 am »

I'm so tierd of the Military being so none-responsive in Dwarf Fortress, really tips me off about this game...
I know I can get them watersacks and food backpacks.
But they've been standing down the whole time, and when I discover that toads I put them on station and duty, and they can't even stay there för a couple of minutes.

Yes, you should get them waterskins and backpacks. But I know what you mean about the military running off to do their own thing. I've yelled at my computer before, "You guys are ON DUTY! Guard the fort!!"

There's two things you can do. Or... two that I know of.
1. If there's an area of the map or underground with vicious animals like toads, just don't mine there! You should always be protecting your fortress with doors and drawbridges and traps. Remember Murphy's law: If it can go wrong, it will go wrong. Put a barrier like a door between you and them, and lock it. [q, l]

2. Kill all the toads, and THEN you can mine in there. You don't need your squad to be on duty all the time, you just need them to stick around long enough to kill everything. Then they can go screw around.
But make sure they're all together before sending them to kill stuff. You don't want them getting picked off one by one.

Thanks, I'll try to advance with more precautions. And I'll get those skins and packs.
Its time to kick some toad butt!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: May 14, 2010, 09:39:32 am »

Thanks for answer

I cannot change my squads in
  • menu. Earlier I could. What's the problem?
Use (x) or "x". The square brackets screw up the forum.

If you're using 40d, you only switch between "on duty" squads. If they're sleeping or eating they won't show up.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: May 14, 2010, 09:43:34 am »

Thanks for answer

I cannot change my squads in
  • menu. Earlier I could. What's the problem?
Use (x) or "x". The square brackets screw up the forum.

If you're using 40d, you only switch between "on duty" squads. If they're sleeping or eating they won't show up.

Yes they were on duty but I just reformed the squads and it works again

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: May 14, 2010, 09:45:01 am »

Engraving doesn't work in 40d. When I press [d] then [e] and then select walls, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?
You have to smooth the walls before you engrave them.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: May 14, 2010, 09:47:31 am »

You have to smooth the walls before you engrave them.

Oops sorry I mean smoothing doesn't work :)

PS
Oh I got it now.. That was not stone

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: May 14, 2010, 09:49:08 am »

What are you trying to smooth? You can only smooth NATURAL ROCK walls, not built walls or soil.

Collic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: May 14, 2010, 11:46:10 am »

Make sure you've smoothed the stone first (d) (s) I think. It also has to be a natural stone wall, not a constructed one.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: May 15, 2010, 09:55:34 am »

Hmm if I build a wall and fortifications next to it, then build stairs up and down to this wall - how do I make my dwarves attack from this wall and make them to be able to manoeuvre on the wall?

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: May 15, 2010, 10:05:36 am »

Hmm if I build a wall and fortifications next to it, then build stairs up and down to this wall - how do I make my dwarves attack from this wall and make them to be able to manoeuvre on the wall?
I mean in 40d version

And another question. If I will have a shell, in which stockpile it would be put?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 11:47:52 am by Shangurath »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: May 15, 2010, 03:02:18 pm »

Dwarves aren't smart enough to move away from incoming fire, so maneuvering isn't an issue.  The fortifications should be on the same z-level your marksdwarves are shooting from, if you want to shield them from enemy fire.  Your dwarves will shoot through the fortifications (because they're right next to them) while shots from the enemy will usually be blocked.  If enemy archers get right up to the fortification they can shoot through it just as easily, but I think they prefer to go for lucky shots from a distance.  Expect losses anyway, particularly from local leaders or bunches of elves.

The above is just what I've heard though, I haven't used marksdwarves much (too powerful and also too fiddly).

Shells go in refuse piles, and you can set a custom refuse pile to only have shells (and assign your real refuse piles to not accept shells).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Pheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: May 15, 2010, 11:07:56 pm »

And another question. If I will have a shell, in which stockpile it would be put?

A refuse stockpile. Shells will disappear at the end of a season if outside, so its best to create a refuse pile inside that only accepts shells.

*edit* oops, didn't read all of rolan7's post  ::)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 11:12:31 pm by Pheo »

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: May 16, 2010, 12:25:47 am »

Dwarves aren't smart enough to move away from incoming fire, so maneuvering isn't an issue.  The fortifications should be on the same z-level your marksdwarves are shooting from, if you want to shield them from enemy fire.  Your dwarves will shoot through the fortifications (because they're right next to them) while shots from the enemy will usually be blocked.  If enemy archers get right up to the fortification they can shoot through it just as easily, but I think they prefer to go for lucky shots from a distance.  Expect losses anyway, particularly from local leaders or bunches of elves.

The above is just what I've heard though, I haven't used marksdwarves much (too powerful and also too fiddly).

Shells go in refuse piles, and you can set a custom refuse pile to only have shells (and assign your real refuse piles to not accept shells).
Thanks for answer

Well, I mean how do I make dwarves to move to the walls. For example, if I have walls like here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCXxNmJNN5s&fmt=18
and goblins attack, I will chose a station point or patrol point to make my dwarves attack the goblins. But will dwarves just come out of the fortress and attack from the groung or will they walk up on the walls and attack from there?

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: May 16, 2010, 12:31:56 am »

And more about military.. I order my dwarves to use crossbows (these dwarves train correctly if there are any bolts), axes and swords. But axe- and sword-dwarves get weapon experience soo slow (and I can't see them actually training with their weapons) that they still have 0 lvl in axes and swords. But the wrestlers train pretty fast. So, is it better to have some great wrestlers instead of having some newbie axedwarves and sworddwarves?

And just one more about armor.. The sense of using leather and chain instead of plate armor is it's weight. But how can I learn the characterisitcs of a particular armor? Is chain MUCH better than leather or is plate much better than chain?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 05:23:32 am by Shangurath »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: May 16, 2010, 05:18:38 am »

to remove a wall you built, you use the "remove constructions" designation.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 181