Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204579 times)

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2460 on: May 17, 2010, 07:58:21 am »

@microline - just observed that my moody dwarves use microline for their inventions, but otherwise - noone touches it; how can I change that?

@elves - game crushed upon the 'merchants gonna leave soon'; the depot was walled around so the wagon would just stand there;

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: May 17, 2010, 08:03:25 am »

Dwarves pick the closest rock to them. Not the one the shortest walking distance away. The shortest absolute distance, through walls and such. It's likely all the diorite you're using is closer to your workshops than all your microcline. You can stockpile the microcline closer if you really want to use it.

Did the game crash, as in stop working completely, or is the elven caravan just sitting there? They don't go crazy immediately. Be patient.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: May 17, 2010, 08:20:13 am »

@microline: I should've mentioned that I have 2 stockpiles: micro & diorite; the micro is CLOSER than diorite, yet it's not being used;

@elves: Crashed as in 'boom';
            it worked for the third time, so now I'm waiting for the elves to get loony;

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: May 17, 2010, 08:38:56 am »

If you're using the most recent version, check to see if you marked microcline as unusable in the stones menu. (All kinds of rocks appear there now.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: May 17, 2010, 09:20:06 am »

@Lord Shonus: thx, the only rock with green status were gabbro & diorite; I'll change that now;

New questions:
1. Are there any negative consequences of not using barrels for food storage?
2. How do I create a swimming pool so dwarves can take water from it for a long period of time?

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: May 17, 2010, 09:34:59 am »

@elves: Crashed as in 'boom';
            it worked for the third time, so now I'm waiting for the elves to get loony;

They just died of hunger :) Does that create any bad karma for future interactions with the elves?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: May 17, 2010, 10:04:44 am »

If enough merchants die in your fort, the elves may declare war. I've yet to manage it.

@Infernalis
1. Barrels help to keep your food supply from taking up too much room, as several tiles worth of meat, seeds, or plants fit in one barrel. Also, some plant processing at the quern requires a barrel to hold the output, as does boozemaking.

2. Not sure what you want here.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

aorsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: May 17, 2010, 10:54:17 am »

a raccoon recently paid a visit to my fortress and killed a puppy :(
problem is, the puppy had an owner.

so question: how to i put a puppy in a tomb? i read on the wiki that just letting it rot will cause bad thoughts and [q]ing the tomb only produces a list of dwarf names.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: May 17, 2010, 11:40:52 am »

Hi!

You can't put a pet into a [t]omb. But you can and should bury it in a coffin.

When you put a coffin on your map and 'q' it, you have the option of whether to make it a room (=tomb) or whether you want to use it for burial. Use it for burial and you will get additional options to toggle pets/citizens. Once you have done that, wait 2 or 3 frames, and one of the dead who are allowed to claim the coffin by the setting will automatically claim the coffin.

If you already made the coffin in question a tomb, you need to 'q' it and free it again so you can change it to burial.

Note that you can't specify which dead claims the coffin if there are several who are eligible. Thus, you should start building coffins timely.

Any pets that have been adopted OR that are available for adoption claim a coffin upon death, with the exception of cats and kittens who never get a coffin.

Deathworks

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: May 17, 2010, 12:20:25 pm »

If enough merchants die in your fort, the elves may declare war. I've yet to manage it.

@Infernalis
1. Barrels help to keep your food supply from taking up too much room, as several tiles worth of meat, seeds, or plants fit in one barrel. Also, some plant processing at the quern requires a barrel to hold the output, as does boozemaking.

2. Not sure what you want here.

@Lord Shonus: about the barrels; I'm thinking of creating a large food pile with no barrels on it so that all my barrels get used for booze; I'm producing so much food I can't keep up with the barrel demand :)

About the pool: since midgets can drink water as well, I wish to create an underground reservoir; I have 'rain shafts' channelled into my fortress, but water soaks into the earth pretty quickly; any idea on how to store it?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: May 17, 2010, 12:27:22 pm »

The water isn't soaking into the earth, it's evaporating. What you need to do is dig out a large area and fill it from another water source.

aorsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: May 17, 2010, 02:26:29 pm »

two more quick questions:

1. is there any use for barrels of blood trade caravan's keep offering me?

2. why is my hunter always sleeping on the floor? i've assigned a room just for him yet he still sleeps on the dirt. he isn't in a military squad.

edit edit: two more questions :P

3. is there a way of moving coffins with things inside to a different place without messing things up? will it generate a bad thought?

4. a recent cavein permanently crippled my legendary miner and left my farmer severely mangled. my doctor was performing surgery on the farmer when he suddenly jumped from the bed (i got an interruption notice) and headed towards the farm planting seeds as if nothing has happened. should i leave him farming? he has like seven mangled body parts and 2 yellows. can he die/worsen this way?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 03:13:10 pm by aorsmith »

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: May 17, 2010, 02:39:11 pm »

The water isn't soaking into the earth, it's evaporating. What you need to do is dig out a large area and fill it from another water source.

I dig into lakes but the water evaporates rather fast - is there a way to slow it down? It also does NOT evaporate while being in the natural lake - correct?

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: May 17, 2010, 04:04:34 pm »

New question: how many drinks are there in a barrel and what is the consumption rate for your average midget?

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: May 17, 2010, 06:06:37 pm »

Ok questions answered:
@infernalis: No idea how many, but a dwarf drinks twice a season if I remember correctly.
@infernalis: Water has a chance to evaporate if it is 1/7 deep. I'm not sure if high temperatures change this rule though.
@aorsmith: I believe that blood can be cooked with. No idea re/hunter sleeping. He must just be lazy. ;-) re/Coffins, I have no idea but I've always wondered and been to nervous to try. And finally, healthcare is bugged, so maybe this was a bug? I have no idea really. :/ Sorry I wasn't much help.

And question asked:
Does carving fortifications off the edge of the map still work to drain water off the map, in DF 31.xx
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 181