Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204481 times)

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2475 on: May 17, 2010, 06:32:05 pm »

What can you milk exactly (i.e. pet cows?)

aorsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: May 17, 2010, 06:39:12 pm »

:l ,my farmer just died to an infection a few minutes ago.
about the milking thing, the only creature my milker seems to be able to milk is donkey....
i've read they're supposed to be able to milk horses and cows too..i'd also like to know how to milk an animal.
edit:
nvm turns out its only females.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 07:28:44 pm by aorsmith »

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: May 17, 2010, 08:02:43 pm »

What happens to a barrel if it's been emptied after containing a drink/seed/plant/meal/etc? I think I saw one being reused but I'm not sure;

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: May 17, 2010, 08:20:51 pm »

What happens to a barrel if it's been emptied after containing a drink/seed/plant/meal/etc? I think I saw one being reused but I'm not sure;

they are re-used. some stockples will be set to automatically contain one empty barrel or bin to be filled (and then replaced with another empty barrel/bin) as needed, however, so this can take up a portion of your empty barrel stock.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

fenrirfenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: May 17, 2010, 08:39:16 pm »

I remember hearing about this all the time before the new openGL version came out. I guess I never paid attention to the answer.

The dorfs are working themselves stupid. Getting hungry and thirsty and unhappy. I don't need them working that hard. IS there an option I don't see for toggling work habits??

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: May 17, 2010, 09:37:20 pm »

@Fenrir
The only thing you can do until its reworked is to limit how much you designate and how many jobs you order at once. For repeat jobs, you'll have to monitor the workshop and suspend it when the arrows start flashing.

@Infernal
In most biomes, the natural lakes on the surface will dry up at some part of the year. To put the water in a reservoir, use a pump (it's much faster) and don't make it too big to fill from your source. As long as you get a uniform depth of 2/7 or higher in the reservoir, it won't dry up. Make sure you put a roof over it if it's exposed.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: May 17, 2010, 11:30:31 pm »

@Infernal
In most biomes, the natural lakes on the surface will dry up at some part of the year. To put the water in a reservoir, use a pump (it's much faster) and don't make it too big to fill from your source. As long as you get a uniform depth of 2/7 or higher in the reservoir, it won't dry up. Make sure you put a roof over it if it's exposed.

@Lord Shonus: thx;

So I can also catch rainwater this way, correct?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 11:33:59 pm by infernalis »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: May 17, 2010, 11:37:28 pm »

Rainwater is only caught in water sources like murky pools. Keep the pools less than full but greater than nearly empty by careful draining and regulation. That way you won't suffer from lost rainwater when it lands on 7/7s, and you won't lose water to evaporation (as it needs to reach at least 2/7 to begin running off into your reservoir, you would suffer from significant collection loss between rainstorms).
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Xelek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: May 18, 2010, 12:27:38 am »

@infernalis: Water has a chance to evaporate if it is 1/7 deep. I'm not sure if high temperatures change this rule though.
@aorsmith: I believe that blood can be cooked with. No idea re/hunter sleeping. He must just be lazy. ;-) re/Coffins, I have no idea but I've always wondered and been to nervous to try. And finally, healthcare is bugged, so maybe this was a bug? I have no idea really. :/ Sorry I wasn't much help.
Cooking liquids ( namely booze ) doesn't work in DF 0.31 unless it was fixed in .04 but I doubt it was, same should apply to blood. You can turn milk into cheese and then cook it though...

As for water evaporating, I'm quite sure that in anything above temperate climates, murky pools will dry out eventually, no matter if they're at 7/7 or 1/7. To test this, just embark on a hot or scorching map with pools, set temperature on and weather off so rain doesn't refill them and you'll notice all the pools dry out and never get refilled unless you turn weather back on and get some rain. Unless I somehow failed to notice that they were empty to begin with? Hmm...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: May 18, 2010, 12:49:29 am »

You remember rightly, murky pool tiles are special in that they will dry up in the heat.  This is different from 1/7 water disappearing, which happens everywhere no matter the temperature.

Murky pools are weird ):  I sorta wish rain fell everywhere instead, even (particularly) if that meant an uncovered hole in the ground as an entrance would be a bad idea.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

fenrirfenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: May 18, 2010, 01:52:14 am »

Murky pools are weird ):  I sorta wish rain fell everywhere instead, even (particularly) if that meant an uncovered hole in the ground as an entrance would be a bad idea.
I imagine that could lead to all kinds of bad things. Like the world filling up with water after an extended storm.

Xelek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: May 18, 2010, 02:32:24 am »

But wouldn't it be Fun? And couldn't you fix it by pumping tons of magma to the surface and have it all turn into some valuable obsidian? Coat the world in obsidian? Hell yes, Pompeii-ish end to everything above ground? Very yes. Then carving out the encased corpses and exposing them as statues in your halls would be most awesome.

On a more serious note, although it would probably be a real FPS killer, it would be realistic. Dramatic rain has been know to leave large amounts of water on the ground. Ever heard of monsoon? Yeah... All it would take is a hatch on top of the stairs or a bridge/doors/floodgates to seal the entrance to avoid having too much fun with the water.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: May 18, 2010, 02:58:37 am »

Playing 40D, I have a Royal Guard who has been grievously wounded, losing their shoulder and everything attached. They were put to bed some time ago, but it has been strange ever since.

They are not exactly occupying the bed. In fact, other dwarves routinely use it.

They have had a bruised spine (the lightest wound), and it has not healed. This is the only injury aside from the missing arm.

They have had no status change at all. It has been many, many years, and they have never been fed or watered. Nonetheless, they maintain a 'drowsy' effect which they had when they were set down. They are completely ecstatic about this, even though nothing good has happened to them.

Have I discovered some sort of eternal dwarf that cannot change state?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:01:42 am by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: May 18, 2010, 10:07:57 am »

Playing 40D, I have a Royal Guard who has been grievously wounded, losing their shoulder and everything attached. They were put to bed some time ago, but it has been strange ever since.

They are not exactly occupying the bed. In fact, other dwarves routinely use it.

They have had a bruised spine (the lightest wound), and it has not healed. This is the only injury aside from the missing arm.

They have had no status change at all. It has been many, many years, and they have never been fed or watered. Nonetheless, they maintain a 'drowsy' effect which they had when they were set down. They are completely ecstatic about this, even though nothing good has happened to them.

Have I discovered some sort of eternal dwarf that cannot change state?

That's clearly a bug, but a very interesting one.  Does anyone know how to reproduce it?

I ask because I'm very interested in whether this dwarf-in-stasis can prevent the fortress from ever being destroyed.  In fact, could you post your save please?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2489 on: May 18, 2010, 02:17:57 pm »

Is it just me or is openGL worldgen a lot slower? Normally I wiz right through it. Maybe 10-15 seconds and worldgen was done, now it's a few minutes.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 181