Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204622 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2550 on: May 24, 2010, 01:29:21 am »

Animals don't need to eat or drink.

If an animal [CAN_SPEAK], I believe they need food and water. In vanilla 40d, there aren't any tamable creatures that have this tag, but in 31.0x apparently you can get tame animalmen from the elves.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: May 24, 2010, 01:34:09 am »

If I chain a wardog to restraints won't it die? It needs to eat and drink probably?

No, animals do not eat or drink.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: May 24, 2010, 02:36:27 am »

If I chain a wardog to restraints won't it die? It needs to eat and drink probably?

No, animals do not eat or drink.

One of those little things down at the bottom of Toady's list: a system for feeding animals seems to be considered tedious micromanagement for the player. I haven't been around long enough to be able to say this with certainty, but I haven't heard it mentioned at all.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: May 24, 2010, 06:35:54 am »

Thanks for answers :)

Upuaut

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: May 24, 2010, 10:37:28 am »

Hello,
I have a little question. When I start DF (V0 31 03) I have the options Continue Playing, Create New World Now!, Design New World With Parameters, Object testing Arena and Quit. Ok so far. But Is it possible to start a new fortress in a generated World that already has a running fortress in it? Meaning: I generated a world, started a fortress, left the program, started again and now I want to start another fortress in the same world - is this possible? I ask because I canīt find a start option for creating a new fortress, only new worlds.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Upuaut

Nova72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: May 24, 2010, 10:38:37 am »

Spears are one handed weapons. They can be used with a shield.

About your gneiss problem: did you reclaim the map you're on?

Anything tasked (on the jobs menu) on abandon will be unusable and unmovable on reclaim.

Thanks for the answer on spears.  Yes, I did reclaim the map, is there any way to fix it and get rid of the gneiss?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: May 24, 2010, 10:50:30 am »

Hello,
I have a little question. When I start DF (V0 31 03) I have the options Continue Playing, Create New World Now!, Design New World With Parameters, Object testing Arena and Quit. Ok so far. But Is it possible to start a new fortress in a generated World that already has a running fortress in it? Meaning: I generated a world, started a fortress, left the program, started again and now I want to start another fortress in the same world - is this possible? I ask because I canīt find a start option for creating a new fortress, only new worlds.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Upuaut

Right now, no, unfortunately.  Only one fortress can be running at a time in a given world.  If you abandon that fortress, the option to start playing will reappear and you can choose that world, and you'll have the additional option of reclaiming the abandoned site.  Or building a new fortress elsewhere.

It's an unfortunate limitation, but one I'm sure Toady plans on removing in the future as the non-worldgen interactions between sites are implemented/improved.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Upuaut

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: May 24, 2010, 11:15:24 am »

@Rolan7
Thank you very much. So perhaps in the future.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: May 24, 2010, 11:26:00 am »

Thanks for the answer on spears.  Yes, I did reclaim the map, is there any way to fix it and get rid of the gneiss?

Try channeling out the tile below it. That gets it unstuck, usually.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

frostilicus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnerpin' the Glorpenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: May 24, 2010, 01:36:53 pm »

Here's one:
What happens if you destroy all civilizations in adventure mode, then start a game in dwarf fortress mode for that same region?

SheepishOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: May 24, 2010, 03:07:34 pm »

Here's one:
What happens if you destroy all civilizations in adventure mode, then start a game in dwarf fortress mode for that same region?
You'll embark just fine, but won't receive any benefits of having civs in the game--like trading.
You're flocked if you do and flocked if ya don't.

frostilicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: May 24, 2010, 03:47:53 pm »

Here's one: What happens if you destroy all civilizations in adventure mode, then start a game in dwarf fortress mode for that same region?
You'll embark just fine, but won't receive any benefits of having civs in the game--like trading.
Neat. Good to know.... Has anyone does this or is this just assumed?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: May 24, 2010, 04:41:17 pm »

Here's one: What happens if you destroy all civilizations in adventure mode, then start a game in dwarf fortress mode for that same region?

What you describe is the wonderful "Age of Death".  More information on the Ages is here:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Calendar#Ages

In this thread, it was actually accomplished and thoroughly tested, for Dwarven Science:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=46033.0
Including the Age of Emptiness which is *even worse* almost as bad.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:16:48 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

frostilicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: May 24, 2010, 05:23:40 pm »

What you describe is the wonderful "Age of Death".  More information on the Ages is here:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Calendar#Ages

In this thread, it was actually accomplished and thoroughly tested, for Dwarven Science:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=46033.0
Including the Age of Emptiness which is *even worse*.
Does anyone know what is different between the Age of Emptiness and the Age of Death?

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: May 24, 2010, 05:25:14 pm »

Age of Death: No civilizations.

Age of Emptiness: No sentient beings alive.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 181