Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204483 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2535 on: May 23, 2010, 12:21:12 am »

That means that a dead friend's body rotted before you could bury it. Build some coffins at the masonry shop and put your dwarves to rest. If only for the purpose of pleasing your dwarves.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: May 23, 2010, 01:42:39 am »

2) Is it possible to force a dwarf to make furniture from a particular material? I mean 'only mudstone' for example

They'll usually use the nearest material, maybe always.  To be sure though, you can forbid every material but the one you want used.  Alternatively, make a small area with the workshop and a stockpile of the material, and lock the dwarf in there.

Really you should be fine if you make a stockpile of the desired material right next to the workshop.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: May 23, 2010, 01:55:48 am »

Ok thanks for answers :)

Atlar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bookkeeper refuses to bookkeep...
« Reply #2538 on: May 23, 2010, 07:35:44 am »

My Bookkeeper refuses to bookkeep and I can't see a reason why... he has a table and a chair assigned to him and even an own bedroom but he hasn't gained any bookkeeping-skill yet... and it's over a year now since I appointed him... I' removed all other tasks from his job-list. Is this maybe a bug of the new version?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: May 23, 2010, 07:37:24 am »

Make sure to set the level of his bookkeeping to your desired level.

On the noble screen, scroll to the bookkeeper, and hit 's'. This will bring you to the accuracy settings.

If you've already done that, can he access his office?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Atlar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: May 23, 2010, 07:44:49 am »

:D You are right with the accuracy  :D Simply forgot about this feature  :-\
Thanks!

discosteve

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: May 23, 2010, 02:51:33 pm »

Bit embarassed to ask this question but I haven't found out what I'm doing wrong on here, the wiki, or google searching.

A caravan will not come to my depot. If I shift-D it says my depot is accessible. Actually I tried shifting an apparently accessible depot to a different spot just to see if that helped, but still no Dwarven caravan has come, or any other caravan for that matter.

This is my third fortress, I started it because no caravans would come to my second fortress either. My first fortress did have caravans coming by, but of course because it was my first fortress it was logistically a complete piece of crap.

What the hell was I doing so they would come to me originally, but not now?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2542 on: May 23, 2010, 03:47:49 pm »

It is likely that either dwarves are extinct in your world, or you are located in a part of the world where no dwarves or other caravan-sending races can reach you.  This seems to be pretty common in 31.04, I've seen a lot of worlds where many of the races were simply wiped out in world generation.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Marcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: May 23, 2010, 04:33:29 pm »

2) Is it possible to force a dwarf to make furniture from a particular material? I mean 'only mudstone' for example

They'll usually use the nearest material, maybe always.  To be sure though, you can forbid every material but the one you want used. 

I recently read that if you forbid every materials, every workshops that were built using forbidden materials will stop working as well? Is that true?

Marcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: May 23, 2010, 04:35:02 pm »

Any tips on channelling/digging around the entrance for defense purpose?

It seems that EVERY time I assign diggers to channel, part of the cavern collapses and now of my legendaries got wounded and is now resting.

Thanks!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: May 23, 2010, 05:19:37 pm »

They'll usually use the nearest material, maybe always.  To be sure though, you can forbid every material but the one you want used. 

I recently read that if you forbid every materials, every workshops that were built using forbidden materials will stop working as well? Is that true?
Yeah, that's how it works. You can unforbid the individual workshops though. THe best way is to stockpile the stone you want nearby and seal the mason in with it. They only use stone they can get to.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Nova72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: May 23, 2010, 07:38:51 pm »

I have been trying to remove gneiss from one room and and I can't get my workers to move it. (Yes I made sure stone hauling was on).  I tried dumping, then I tried unselecting and redumping, and even creating a custom stock pile for it.  They won't remove it no matter what I do, any ideas?

Nova72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: May 23, 2010, 10:01:48 pm »

Also, can I have my dwarves use both a spear and a shield or are spears considered "two handed" weapons?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: May 23, 2010, 10:14:54 pm »

Spears are one handed weapons. They can be used with a shield.

About your gneiss problem: did you reclaim the map you're on?

Anything tasked (on the jobs menu) on abandon will be unusable and unmovable on reclaim.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: May 24, 2010, 12:34:56 am »

If I chain a wardog to restraints won't it die? It needs to eat and drink probably?
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 181