Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204589 times)

ac3y

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2565 on: May 24, 2010, 06:14:43 pm »

Is there an easy way to consolidate the stuff in my barrels?
I have a ton of barrels with Plump helmet x1 in them and I think this is horrifically inefficient.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: May 24, 2010, 06:39:55 pm »

The true cause of your problem is most likey low-skilled planters.  When a crop is harvested, it becomes a stack, and the size of that stack is dependent on the skill of the planting dwarf.    Larger stacks are very desirable for several reasons, including storage: a stack of 2 plump helmets and a stack of 10 plump helmets each take up a tile.  I think each take up an entire barrel, too, though I don't store food in barrels.

I suggest setting the number of barrels for all non-drink stockpiles to 0.  Critters get at the food easier, but that's really a non-issue, and otherwise I often run out of barrels for drinks.  The dwarves won't reclaim the barrels immediately, but they shouldn't fill them with more food, and eventually the food will be eaten and the barrels moved.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: May 24, 2010, 08:38:52 pm »

I have seen threads around before about how in 2010 axes are the only weapon worth using, and blunt weapons are near worthless.
But how are the weapons in 40d? is there a best/worst? If i would use hammers would it be like the stories I've read about totally disabled enemies that I am unable to kill?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: May 24, 2010, 08:42:17 pm »

Swords were overpowered in the last version. They'd instantly gib anything, which caused all vanilla non-HFS enemies to collapse in pain and bleed to death. Anything would kill instantly except spears after you hit legendary, mainly because spears got stuck after a few hits without fail.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: May 25, 2010, 12:31:17 am »

To start an underground tree farm I just need to make some underground area muddy?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: May 25, 2010, 10:03:24 am »

To start an underground tree farm I just need to make some underground area muddy?

You need to open the caverns first, or in this case (this is a .40d thread!!) you need to find an underground pool or river.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: May 27, 2010, 06:40:55 pm »

40d: instead of going to 100% accessible station(other soldiers do just fine), one of my fighters keeps going to the edge of one room in a completely differrent part of the fortress, and tries to path through the wall(and there is nothing behind the wall, only massive rock layer)

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: May 27, 2010, 07:18:18 pm »

I've had a fortress running for what feels like a few years now, population 120 something, and the only time ive ever been attacked was by a dragon i wrestled to death around 80 pop. i'm currently seizing everything the humans and elves bring, and flinging them off the drawbridge on the way out, and still nothing will attack me! The most interesting thing to happen lately was getting a caravan I couldn't trade with because one of their wagons took 100 steps to move 1 space, so they packed up and left before they ever finished unpacking.

So anyway, is there something I am missing to make sieges not happen? And also is there a way i can get more creatures to spawn on a map at a time?

Nevermind the second one, embarking with a chasm solved that.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 09:03:40 am by scira »

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: May 28, 2010, 12:29:39 pm »

Caravans can pass bridges, can't they?

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: May 28, 2010, 02:04:39 pm »

Yup, which makes for fun flinging/dropping caravans that annoy you.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2575 on: May 28, 2010, 02:08:11 pm »

Yup, which makes for fun flinging/dropping caravans that annoy you.
Not quite, wagons completely ignore the laws of physics, if you try to fling them, well, it's more hilarious to see it for yourself, but you basically end up with floating wagons.

Nova72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: May 28, 2010, 07:18:21 pm »

I have been trying to get my military to train by themselves but they won't do anything.  They just sit around and eat and sleep.  I did make sure that the squad is active, they have a barracks/armory set to train and I have equipped them with the weapons I want them to train with, and I also have an arsenal dwarf.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: May 30, 2010, 09:35:22 am »

How can I dig DOWN, for example to make a water u-tube like here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02AMAnEDg0w&feature=PlayList&p=5A3D7682BDD48FC2&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=25

Are there special buildings or designations for this, or the only way to dig down is to make stairs?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: May 30, 2010, 09:36:06 am »

Channel?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: May 30, 2010, 09:40:23 am »

Yes I tried channel but it works only 1 zlvl down. You cannot designate a channel on another channel
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 181