Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Scientists have plans to tear apart the vacuum of space  (Read 38014 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Scientists have plans to tear apart the vacuum of space
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2011, 04:46:23 am »

Damn, Texas. You crazy!

Keep up the good !!WORK!!.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2011, 06:43:34 am »

Damn, Texas. You crazy!

Keep up the good !!WORK!!.
The firing mechanism will be a S&W
Thank you based dwarf.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2011, 07:39:56 am »

How soon until this is man portable?

Also, he should probably be wearing goggles and be shooting ten lasers but I figured the face was enough.

EDIT: Also:

That came up from a search for 10 lasers.

EDIT2: I figure I'll throw this in here and say it's sort of similar to what this doomlaser will be like.

That might be your house someday.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 07:54:36 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2011, 07:48:39 am »

I don't want to be that guy, but the worlds governments really need to shut this down.
As if you're not curious what lies below the below, in the darkest depths of irreality?

I am not much impressed by this project. It will just be some energy (200 kJoules = 50 gramm TNT, doesn't sound like militarily significant) that will be concentrated in tiny space. Experiments on laser ignited nuclear fusion already deal with more energy that is less concentrated and LHC - with less energy that has higher concentration.
Not 200kJ, 200PW. Even for only a split second, you still need an incredible amount of voltage. More than the Earth currently has, unless they can ramp up the current like mad.
The Z machine can already pump out 80 times the world energy production for a duration 200 nanoseconds. It's not like we've never done extreme stuff like this before.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2011, 10:34:43 am »

If you tear apart the vacuum of space, what's the vacuum equivalent inside a vacuum? One powerful sucker, I would suspect.
I don't think you understand. There shouldn't be anything below the vacuum. That's the end. We will have truly ripped a hole into nothing. Which, for our sake, hopefully does not create a black hole or something equally horrible.

Equally horrible? We have blackholes, I suspect something that will take you to your worst nightmare.
Blackholes, zombies, and elves...

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2011, 10:48:31 am »

Sorry for double post
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2011, 11:11:51 am »

"We can put materials into states that you can’t access here on earth," said Mikael Martinez, the laser project’s manager. "You’d have to go out into space and hang out with an exploding star to observe what we plan to observe here in Texas."

Headline: "Scientists to explode stars in Texas"  ::)

I love how the article emphasizes "It's not just a big laser, it's Texas-big!"

Wonder if Rick Perry wants to use it for border security.

couple hundred femtoseconds (that’s 10-15 seconds)
I almost did a facepalm here till I realized that it's supposed to be 10-15, and the superscript just didn't carry over. I really hope it wasn't like that in the original article.

So have they set a date yet for Black Mesa Resonance Cascade testing yet?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2011, 11:21:53 am »

This little article thing is brought to you by Drago Fortress Space Station!

======D.F.S.S=======D.F.S.S=======D.F.S.S=======D.F.S.S======D.F.S.S=======D.F.S.S=======D.F.S.S=======D.F.S.S======

Rip goat, more loli

lyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2011, 02:03:18 pm »

Soon, every madman will be able to create a true vacuum, destroying not only humanity but the entire known universe.
What if there are insane, highly advanced aliens like us out there? And what if they already have created a true vacuum? We're doomed!

Indeed, all space races will be held at gunpoint and conventional spaceweapons will be useless.
True Vacuum - Nuclear Bomb of the future.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2011, 02:22:42 pm »

Are they firing this thing into the air? If so, I can only imagine that, even if it's for a trillionth of a second, a thousand-or-so years from now a peaceful alien race on a nearby planet is just getting off the ground, and then VRWOOSH! Their entire planet is sliced in half.

Also, I wonder how long it needs to charge for, and with what power source?

"Hedwick! Start charging the laser!" and he plugs it into an ordinary power socket.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2011, 02:34:18 pm »

I think they may use Marx generators   for this, which can be charged with grid current (though doing it from a wall socket is going to take a while). However, Marx generators also generate a very high amounts of watts, which is unfavorable for a laser as all wattage over the laser's band gap just goes into frying the cavity. I however don't know what would be best to store a large amount of amperes? Maybe SMES could work?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2011, 03:35:18 pm »

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2011, 03:46:42 pm »

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Thus establishing the triumph of the People's physics over the decadent bourgeois vacuum. Down with capitalist emptiness! We will replace vacuum with the bounty of the Proletariat!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2011, 07:19:35 pm »

Sigging. So sigging.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]