Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204617 times)

Slazia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2595 on: June 06, 2010, 09:51:52 am »

So I'm having problems farming. It's a little complex, but my main problem follows. My farmer has a field, he's assigned to work only there (no other jobs), but nothing ever seems to grow! Surely I should expect a crop of goodness every season? A complete row of plants? What am I doing wrong! Are they getting harvested when I'm not looking?

subbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: June 06, 2010, 10:31:29 am »

[Q]uery the fields and make sure you have a crop selected for each season (a b c and d for spring, summer, autumn and winter).

Then check:  do you have seeds?  You can check this through the [z] stocks menu.  Your dwarves may nom on seeds if they like to eat them, or your kitchen may cook seeds if you have selected that in the [z] kitchen menu (I recommend you don't, until your fort is more established).

Then, if you're playing .31:  have you irrigated the field?
After you get done trading, just give it away as a tribute. It'll really boost public perception of your fort if your dwarves are willing to give people the chert off their back.

Slazia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: June 06, 2010, 11:12:15 am »

Ahh, ok. Think I have enough seeds. Do I need to irrigate farms outside, or will the weather do that for me? Also, I have the option to fertalize, do I need to do this too?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: June 06, 2010, 11:33:41 am »

You only need to irrigate in 31.xx, and then only underground. Fertilizing is not needed. It merely increases your crop yield.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: June 06, 2010, 01:00:13 pm »

What would you rather do? Go to an insane party with all of your friends, booze and a couple of ☼golden statues☼, or remove goblin crud from traps? Remove the zone where they're partying (table, well, statue, zoo) and they should go to work. Turn them off as meeting areas and it should be fine.

Wrong. What I had to do is to press d-b-d and then c (reclaim items/buildings); and that's the thing: why dead goblins' possessions are 'forbidden' by default?

subbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: June 06, 2010, 01:52:57 pm »

To stop all your peasants and farmers and legendary masons from running out onto the battlefield to grab a *narrow cave spider silk sock* and getting themselves slaughtered.

You can turn claiming/forbidding of death items on or off in the Orders menu.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 09:43:41 pm by subbes »
After you get done trading, just give it away as a tribute. It'll really boost public perception of your fort if your dwarves are willing to give people the chert off their back.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: June 07, 2010, 02:51:03 am »

I wonder, does the [SEVERONBREAKS] tag work in v31.05?
The thing is I want to add it to the BC and other creatures.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 02:54:15 am by bluephoenix »

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: June 07, 2010, 05:50:09 am »

To stop all your peasants and farmers and legendary masons from running out onto the battlefield to grab a *narrow cave spider silk sock* and getting themselves slaughtered.

You can turn claiming/forbidding of death items on or off in the Orders menu.

Thanks, just got around to that menu and I gotta tell you, it does a couple of nice tricks.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2603 on: June 07, 2010, 10:08:51 am »

I wonder, does the [SEVERONBREAKS] tag work in v31.05?
The thing is I want to add it to the BC and other creatures.
[SEVERONBREAKS] no longer exists in 31.0x.  This is part of the reason that BC are nigh-unkillable now.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: June 07, 2010, 11:43:31 am »

How do I stop anyone and everyone from stopping whatever duties I assigned to them and rushing off to harvest plants? All of their hauling duties are off, and I can't figure out why they do this... It's annoying to see someone walk halfway across the fort to "Harvest plants" when my damn farmers are just sitting around getting drunk.

I'm in 40d if it matters.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: June 07, 2010, 11:45:10 am »

Go to the orders menu and set "All Dwarves Harvest" to "Only Farmers Harvest."
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: June 07, 2010, 12:17:56 pm »

I'd like to understand how exactly to edit the siege options in 40d. What files/ tags / values..

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: June 07, 2010, 01:30:59 pm »

Go to the orders menu and set "All Dwarves Harvest" to "Only Farmers Harvest."

Thank you so, so much.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: June 07, 2010, 03:39:11 pm »

What would you rather do? Go to an insane party with all of your friends, booze and a couple of ☼golden statues☼, or remove goblin crud from traps? Remove the zone where they're partying (table, well, statue, zoo) and they should go to work. Turn them off as meeting areas and it should be fine.

Wrong. What I had to do is to press d-b-d and then c (reclaim items/buildings); and that's the thing: why dead goblins' possessions are 'forbidden' by default?
Read Boatmurdered:
http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/

That was a fort played in the very first version of Dwarf Fortress, which only had one Z-Level. Elephants brought it to it's knees when one of the rulers forgot to refill the cage traps. As a result the elephants got through, killed one guy, and dozens more ran to their deaths in an effort to get his stuff.

IIRC, in a truly Boatmurdered twist, the player could tried to lock the gates, but failed. Apparently a dead butterfly was in the way.

ZenSaw

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: June 07, 2010, 04:04:38 pm »

So I just recently switched from 40d to 31.04.  In 40d, I used to modify the refuse pile options so my outside pile would not hold bones and skulls and stuff and an inside pile would.  In 31.04 it appears this has been changed.  How does one go about preserving/obtaining the skulls/bones/shells etc or is it even necessary.  I couldn't make heads or tails of it from the wiki and other posts.

Also, in the same fortress, I've discovered some sort of large underground water pocket. It appears to be a cavern or whatever, though as my first foray into 31.xx I'm very unfamiliar with how these work. It is only 3 z-layers tall, about 2 z-layers under the surface, and has a sort of winding shape connected to the edge of the map. I've made a well from the top of it and in the civilization screen it says there is some sort of aquatic neutral civilization around.

My question is how do I reveal it?  I once tried to dig into the water pocket and managed to slowly flood my entire fortress. I restarted from an earlier save and did not try this again.  Since it is connected to the edge of the map and appears to be completely full of water and connected to the edge of the map, will it ever drain. If so, is pumping the best option? Is that random aquatic civ in the pocket? Will the have "fun" if I pump out all the water?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:50:44 pm by ZenSaw »
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 181