Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204594 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2610 on: June 07, 2010, 05:09:18 pm »

Sounds like an aquifer. I had a similar experience back in 40d. I was convinced I had finally found the underground river, but it was just an aquifer.

Water does appear in caverns, but when you break through to one of those you get a special message. They have water, but it's not usually enough t flood a fortress. They (mostly) appear 10+ levels under the surface, too, but aquifers appear 2 Z-Levels down sometimes.

Try breaking into it from the top. If the hole immediately fills up with water, and you get no message, it's just an aquifer. If you get a hole over open space, and a message, you've found the cavern. The animal-men might be there, but they might be in a different cavern altogether. The cavern networks are massive.

BTW, when you find the animal men they won't be nuetral. They'll be "Hostile," and they'll try to kill you.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: June 07, 2010, 06:05:36 pm »

Need some military advice.

Since I switched to .03 (and related versions, for questions sake) all I've heard about is the rough time people are having with military, frankly it's scared me from making a decent military.  My last fort I was able to get a few squads up, a few of them got caught in infinite training loops, others just wouldn't train at all. It was trial and error, and I can accept a few confusing areas but I'd just like to know, I heard alot of the problems come from the schedules you can assign them (which I avoided just because of that reason) but I didn't really get a majoral opinion on it.

Should I be setting training schedules for my squads, or just stick to assigning them to train, equip and sleep at specific barracks? or all of this?

Just any advice in general would be grandy dandy

also what's the difference between squad equip and individual equip for the barrack's?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:09:16 pm by shoowop »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: June 07, 2010, 06:56:04 pm »

I'd like to understand how exactly to edit the siege options in 40d. What files/ tags / values..

What do you have in mind?

If you want to turn off invasions, just go to init.txt and turn [INVADERS:OFF].

All other siege related options are in entity_default.txt. To summarize quickly, the [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_?:?] tags control when other entities arrive on your map (with the numbers referring to your fortress level, i.e., hamlet, village, town, city, metropolis). [AMBUSHER] makes invaders arrive in ambush mode, like elves or goblin ambushes, [SIEGER] makes everybody mill around for a while before they decide to make a charge to your fort, and [BABY_SNATCHER] makes them act like goblins.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: June 08, 2010, 06:06:52 am »

Something strange happened. Human traders came to my trade depot and their liasion discussed a contract with my dwarf. But then, before a broker reached trade depot, all the traders just took their wagons and left my map (and they left bunch of trades in my depot also). So all the humans left except their liasion. He is pursuiting my trade dwarf and does nothing. What could this mean? What if he dies because of thirst or hunger in my fortress?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: June 08, 2010, 03:12:05 pm »

Check your announcements to see if you got the message "The traders from _____ _____ have embarked on their journey." If you didn't get that message, then I don't know why the caravan up and left for no reason.

As for your broker and the liaison, you need to free up some time for your broker to meet with him. Once they work out the export and import agreements, the liaison will leave. This happens independently of the caravan leaving.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: June 08, 2010, 03:15:51 pm »

Do traffic restrictions affect pathing for military dwarves with move orders?  Thanks Jim.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:32:10 pm by SethCreiyd »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: June 08, 2010, 04:24:48 pm »

They should.

They'll avoid low traffic and restricted zones if possible, but if they're ordered to move into zone itself they will.

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: June 08, 2010, 09:52:15 pm »

So I've been making lye so that I can stock my hospital with soap. The lye always ends up in a bucket, however the soap maker needs a barrel of lye to begin his work. How do I transfer the lie from the bucket to a barrel?

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: June 08, 2010, 11:26:22 pm »

A question on irrigation. Which was answered by the wiki and some tinkering. Ignore this.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:15:30 am by Snook »
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: June 09, 2010, 08:54:28 am »

Do traffic restrictions affect pathing for military dwarves with move orders?  Thanks Jim.

Traffic restrictions? What's tha?

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: June 09, 2010, 10:28:18 am »

One more thing: bandages. How and where do I make them?

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: June 09, 2010, 12:31:55 pm »

Traffic restrictions:  From menu, d -> o.  In a nutshell, to quote the wiki, "Normally, dwarves use the shortest route possible, using these designations you can force them to take a different route."

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: June 09, 2010, 12:32:24 pm »

So I've been making lye so that I can stock my hospital with soap. The lye always ends up in a bucket, however the soap maker needs a barrel of lye to begin his work. How do I transfer the lie from the bucket to a barrel?

It happens automatically, I think. Just make sure you have space in a food stockpile capable of storing lye, and just wait for the dwarves to pour the lye into buckets.

Traffic restrictions? What's tha?

On the designations menu, there's an option for traffic zones. You can make dwarves avoid or prefer certain pathways that you designate.

One more thing: bandages. How and where do I make them?

If I recall correctly in my recent tinkering with 31.0x, bandages are just pieces of cloth that your medical dwarves cut on their own. I'm not sure if you can make them on your own.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: June 09, 2010, 01:30:34 pm »

Thanks for the traffic zones info.

Now about mechanics & masonry skill increase.

I noticed that masonry does not increase from building walls. Strength or whatnot prolly does, but not the skill.
How is it with mechanisms making - does it increase masonry, mechanics or nada?
Does setting traps / putting things like cages into traps increase mechanics?

:)

dsvoid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: June 09, 2010, 01:33:45 pm »

QUESTION 1: I just started playing and finally have a sustainable dwarf camp in place. I heard that barrels prevented food from rotting in the game, so I decided to build a few for the fishing and butcher's shop, as well as the still. However, whenever I want to place them, I can't find them in the building menu. I thought it would be in "containers" or something. What's going on?

QUESTION 2: Like I said, I have a still. What do I need to make brews, anyway?

QUESTION 3: Farming sounds a bit discouraging for me right now. What plants are actually useful to grow?
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 181