Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204558 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2625 on: June 09, 2010, 01:42:27 pm »

QUESTION 1: I just started playing and finally have a sustainable dwarf camp in place. I heard that barrels prevented food from rotting in the game, so I decided to build a few for the fishing and butcher's shop, as well as the still. However, whenever I want to place them, I can't find them in the building menu. I thought it would be in "containers" or something. What's going on?

QUESTION 2: Like I said, I have a still. What do I need to make brews, anyway?

QUESTION 3: Farming sounds a bit discouraging for me right now. What plants are actually useful to grow?

Q1: You can't place barrels. Simply designate a food stockpile, and your Dwarves will put the barrels there and add the food.

Q2: To brew, you need someone with the brewer labour, an empty barbell, and a brewable plant. If you go to the z menu, and selct 'Kitchen', you can see what items are marked as being brewable. Don't change those settings, just learn what the plants are.

Q3: Plump Helmets, to start with. They're the best for brewing.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: June 09, 2010, 01:53:38 pm »

QUESTION 3: Farming sounds a bit discouraging for me right now. What plants are actually useful to grow?

It only gets hard when you try to farm too much - you need a 4x4 plot for starters, farm plump helmets every season and brew them for 2 minutes every half hour and you should be allright.

For plants, read: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Crops

It's all there.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 02:29:00 pm by infernalis »

dsvoid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: June 09, 2010, 02:00:59 pm »

Thanks for the tips! SO far so good. HOWEVER.

QUESTION 4: I'm getting an underground farm built, but how do I get my dwarves to gather water and dump it on soil? I have 2 buckets.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: June 09, 2010, 02:04:00 pm »

Ah, there's the little snag. As far as I know, you can't. To muddy the soil, what I do is usually right next to a lake underground, put in a floodgate and then chanel to the lake floods the room (not a big lake, mind you). Or you can pump water up from depths, and some people have been farming in the caverns, although I havn't played enough of DF2010 to do so.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: June 09, 2010, 02:23:09 pm »

Got a question. Recently i builded up a hospital and put there 3 beds. Since that time, none of my dwarves sleep in assigned bedrooms (which are grand and royal). Instead of sleeping in personal palaces, they go and sleep in hospital and get a "slept without a proper room" thought. My can I make them stop sleeping in hospital zone?

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: June 09, 2010, 02:27:01 pm »

Ah, there's the little snag. As far as I know, you can't. To muddy the soil, what I do is usually right next to a lake underground, put in a floodgate and then chanel to the lake floods the room (not a big lake, mind you). Or you can pump water up from depths, and some people have been farming in the caverns, although I havn't played enough of DF2010 to do so.

HERESY! This is a 40d topic! Burn the witch! Burn the witch! :)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: June 09, 2010, 02:28:50 pm »

Thanks for the traffic zones info.

Now about mechanics & masonry skill increase.

I noticed that masonry does not increase from building walls. Strength or whatnot prolly does, but not the skill.
How is it with mechanisms making - does it increase masonry, mechanics or nada?
Does setting traps / putting things like cages into traps increase mechanics?

:)

Anything from the construction menu does not increase strength or skill or attributes. These are useful skills to give to peasants if you want a lot of things built but don't want an army of masons when you're done.

Anything from the trap menu gives experience, however, as well as anything involving architecture. Anything that needs to be designed to be built gives skill and experience.

Btw, get this: my legendary record keeper is updating records. While doing so, he 'becomes more experienced'. WTFudge?

"More experienced" refers to attributes, such as strength, speed, and toughness. When you get that message, one of those attributes increases, because jobs still give out experience and track skill for legendary workers. This only applies to 40d, however.

Got a question. Recently i builded up a hospital and put there 3 beds. Since that time, none of my dwarves sleep in assigned bedrooms (which are grand and royal). Instead of sleeping in personal palaces, they go and sleep in hospital and get a "slept without a proper room" thought. My can I make them stop sleeping in hospital zone?

If the economy's been activated, they may not be able to afford the rooms you've built for them, so they sleep in available beds.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: June 09, 2010, 02:33:38 pm »

If the economy's been activated, they may not be able to afford the rooms you've built for them, so they sleep in available beds.

My population is 45, and the economy isn't activated. And before installing hospital near the living part of new fortress, they all slept in their royal and grand bedrooms. I mean, really they can't every time sleep at hospital, cause there are just 3 beds, but it's pretty annoying to loose such good thought bonus.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: June 09, 2010, 02:51:42 pm »

This is 40d topic?

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: June 09, 2010, 02:52:03 pm »

Your dwarves most likely just work themselves to the point of exhaustion, then choose the closest bed, no matter which room it is in.

Although, funnily enough, I've found that when dwarves collapse in hospital beds from exhaustion, my doctors will still come and diagnose him, and diagnose him with fatigue or something. It's not actually something I've seen them do, but my fort's medical history shows all sorts of dwarves diagnosed with over-exertion, thirst and hunger. :P

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: June 09, 2010, 03:34:41 pm »

Your dwarves most likely just work themselves to the point of exhaustion, then choose the closest bed, no matter which room it is in.

Although, funnily enough, I've found that when dwarves collapse in hospital beds from exhaustion, my doctors will still come and diagnose him, and diagnose him with fatigue or something. It's not actually something I've seen them do, but my fort's medical history shows all sorts of dwarves diagnosed with over-exertion, thirst and hunger. :P

Thought about it too) Silly dorfs) Sleeping at hospital (though pretty rich and good designed) instead of sleeping in their personal palaces)

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: June 09, 2010, 05:02:06 pm »

Thx, Jimbo.

How did you learn that, btw?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: June 09, 2010, 07:39:41 pm »

This is 40d topic?

Yep! 2010 question thread's over here.

Someone should really change the name of this thread.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: June 10, 2010, 10:28:04 am »

Get this: I have a furniture pile for my bins.
I have a bar pile for my iron.
I change the bin count for the iron pile from 0 to MAX, and the dorfs start taking ALL the iron to bins. On. The. Furniture. Pile.

And then it takes gazzillion years for a dorf to transport the bin full of iron back to the iron pile.

How-what-now?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: June 10, 2010, 12:52:12 pm »

That's normal. Just be patient, the bins will be moved to your bar/block stockpile soon enough.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 181