Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204610 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2009, 06:11:35 pm »

z -> stocks

Provided you have a bookkeeper that has done enough work to improve precision, the stocks menu gives a list of every item on your map. It is an excellent tool.

Note that there are two modes, general and specific. Hitting tab switches between the two,
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2009, 06:56:17 pm »

What does a purple pleasure pad mean? Does that mean it's linked correctly to my floor hatch which will drop my enemies a whopping 1z level leaving them having to walk back up around the wall?

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2009, 10:57:36 pm »

When you loo'k' over the farm tiles, are they listed as underground or above ground?

If above ground, you can only plant above ground crops in that location, and you likely don't have any above ground seeds. I suggest gathering some of them. This will also help with your desperate food shortage.

They are listed as 'Inside', 'Light' and 'Above Ground'

How do I make it into the damp subterrainian lair I know and love?? Do I need to *surround* it with walls and floors on all edges? I heard somewhere you can turn above ground lairs into subterrainian lairs by building a building around it... but I can't find it anymore.

Valdoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2009, 11:15:17 pm »

I'm in the 4th year of my fortress.  I have over 1 million wealth, over 200,000 exported, 97 dwarves, and I'm in a sinitser area.  I've never been seiged...  I'm getting bored.  Any suggestions on getting some action going?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2009, 11:57:01 pm »

When you loo'k' over the farm tiles, are they listed as underground or above ground?

If above ground, you can only plant above ground crops in that location, and you likely don't have any above ground seeds. I suggest gathering some of them. This will also help with your desperate food shortage.

They are listed as 'Inside', 'Light' and 'Above Ground'

How do I make it into the damp subterrainian lair I know and love?? Do I need to *surround* it with walls and floors on all edges? I heard somewhere you can turn above ground lairs into subterrainian lairs by building a building around it... but I can't find it anymore.

You can't. Once the land is tainted by sunlight, it can never again be considered subterranean. A constructed roof can keep the harmful rays and sickening fresh air away, but it's tainted forever.
Rebuild it where the sun never shines.

That's not a euphemism, by the way. You can't make things subterranean again. Ever. Rebuild your farm where the sun has never shone.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2009, 08:30:29 am »

And plant some whip vvine there. Or Sunberries, if you have 'em.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2009, 10:52:00 am »

I'm in the 4th year of my fortress.  I have over 1 million wealth, over 200,000 exported, 97 dwarves, and I'm in a sinitser area.  I've never been seiged...  I'm getting bored.  Any suggestions on getting some action going?

Kill the human liaison and butcher the trees until the elves send a diplomat, then kill him too. Less trading, more killing, guaranteed.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2009, 11:37:16 am »

Here's a small one, what can I do to stop my hunters getting slaughtered by packs of wolves when I'm not looking? I like the extra source of food, but usually within a season of one joining my fortress I get a message about him being unconscious, then when I go to check on them they're surrounded and being eaten alive.
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2009, 11:47:15 am »

Here's a small one, what can I do to stop my hunters getting slaughtered by packs of wolves when I'm not looking? I like the extra source of food, but usually within a season of one joining my fortress I get a message about him being unconscious, then when I go to check on them they're surrounded and being eaten alive.

Make them super. Train them up in pump operation or milling first, then draft them to spar and use crossbows, and undraft them to hunting before they get to Hero status.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2009, 12:15:01 pm »

Make them super. Train them up in pump operation or milling first, then draft them to spar and use crossbows, and undraft them to hunting before they get to Hero status.

Fair play, I can keep one back in the archery range for a while. One more little one - If I haven't met the requirements to have a king / queen come to my fortress before I've hit the population cap, will they come after this if the requirements are then met?
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2009, 12:19:00 pm »

As far as I know (note: do not take as given) they'll show up as part of a migration, so you'll need to be below the cap.

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2009, 12:28:07 pm »

As far as I know (note: do not take as given) they'll show up as part of a migration, so you'll need to be below the cap.

That's what I figure too, but the population cap does seem to be somewhat lax, my last lot of immigrants brought it above the cap by a few, plus my dwarves are still breeding like bearded bunnies.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2009, 02:30:00 pm »

Don't think that's correct - they show up when a migration would normally happen.  If you're at your pop cap, you still get migrant nobles, np.

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2009, 03:44:02 pm »

Don't think that's correct - they show up when a migration would normally happen.  If you're at your pop cap, you still get migrant nobles, np.

That's good, I've already started decorating their rooms. :)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2009, 04:11:03 pm »

Fair play, I can keep one back in the archery range for a while. One more little one - If I haven't met the requirements to have a king / queen come to my fortress before I've hit the population cap, will they come after this if the requirements are then met?

Yes. They LOVE to push you over the cap.

But yeah, feel free to decorate their rooms with masterwork spikes and artifact mechanisms, with a mysterious lever outside.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 181