Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204006 times)

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2009, 05:14:14 pm »

Here's a small one, what can I do to stop my hunters getting slaughtered by packs of wolves when I'm not looking? I like the extra source of food, but usually within a season of one joining my fortress I get a message about him being unconscious, then when I go to check on them they're surrounded and being eaten alive.

You could hunt manually with soldiers (as in more than one).  This takes more attention, though, and you need a refuse stocktile and dwarves need to be set to gather refuse from outside.  If this is all in order, a hauler will run out to retrieve the corpses of the dead animals.

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2009, 07:27:20 pm »

Here's a small one, what can I do to stop my hunters getting slaughtered by packs of wolves when I'm not looking? I like the extra source of food, but usually within a season of one joining my fortress I get a message about him being unconscious, then when I go to check on them they're surrounded and being eaten alive.

Make them super. Train them up in pump operation or milling first, then draft them to spar and use crossbows, and undraft them to hunting before they get to Hero status.

Fair play, I can keep one back in the archery range for a while. One more little one - If I haven't met the requirements to have a king / queen come to my fortress before I've hit the population cap, will they come after this if the requirements are then met?

Yes. They LOVE to push you over the cap.

But yeah, feel free to decorate their rooms with masterwork spikes and artifact mechanisms, with a mysterious lever outside.

I've actually got 2 artifact floodgates I've been looking for a use for, I'll have to see if I can pump the river anywhere near their quarters. :)
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2009, 08:59:38 pm »

which plant or plants are the best to use food and how do you acquire more of their seeds when you run out?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2009, 09:49:14 pm »

Don't cook the plants, and you won't lose the seeds to begin with.
Otherwise, order and buy from dwarven traders, or harvest from underground shrubs growing on muddy subterranean tiles if you have an underground pool or river.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2009, 10:00:03 pm »

I had a big reply typed up, but...  eh.  You should read this page: http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Crop

If your dwarves eat a plant raw or do anything to it other than cooking it, you will recover a seed per plant.  If the plant is cooked, the seeds are destroyed.  I'm not sure whether or not letting a plant rot destroys the seeds.  It's not something you should want to do, anyway.  Also, all seeds can be cooked.

If you run out of seeds and their plants (though you should be careful that this doesn't happen), you can sometimes buy more from the dwarven caravan (underground plants) or the humans or elves (aboveground).  Aboveground plants can be gathered from bushes on the surface, and if you've struck an underground river or underground pool, bushes of the underground plants will appear in soil or muddy stone underground.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2009, 11:42:06 pm »

If a dwarf falls a long distance (that would normally kill it) into water, then that water is drained quickly so the dwarf doesn't drown, will the dwarf survive?

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2009, 07:34:15 am »

which plant or plants are the best to use food and how do you acquire more of their seeds when you run out?

Sun Berry, aboveground crop. Plant it, harvest it, brew it, then cook the resulting sunshine - or not.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2009, 09:47:58 am »

WTF magma!?   Got my magma forge up and running, working. That's awesome, but my smelters say that they need magma underneath on of their 8 boundary points. But I build them according to guides and why does my forge work but not the smelter?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2009, 09:50:40 am »

If a dwarf falls a long distance (that would normally kill it) into water, then that water is drained quickly so the dwarf doesn't drown, will the dwarf survive?
I don't think water actually cushions falls.  Not sure though, this calls for experimentation.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2009, 10:04:17 am »

So, I just realised that my elf drowner is a temple to armok in all but altar. It seals and floods, and has a whole rack of spikes on constructed soap floors for making the process quicker.

CLEANSE THE XENO

>_>
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2009, 10:46:31 am »

I don't think water actually cushions falls.  Not sure though, this calls for experimentation.

OK, thanks. I'll try it sometime.

Another question: when noise travels 4 tiles or 16 tiles or whatever, is that Euclidean distance (the intuitive distance: as measured by a ruler/tape measurer) or Manhattan distance (sum of the differences of the coordinates: how far it is if you only travel orthogonally)? Or something else?

N...
...?

If four tiles of noise are generated at N, will there be noise at "?"?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:53:48 am by expwnent »

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2009, 10:50:31 am »

WTF magma!?   Got my magma forge up and running, working. That's awesome, but my smelters say that they need magma underneath on of their 8 boundary points. But I build them according to guides and why does my forge work but not the smelter?

At least one of the 8 squares must not have a floor between the smelter and the magma.  That is, you need to be able to see the magma when you're placing the smelter.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2009, 11:00:06 am »

Under what circumstances can more than one dwarf be in a given tile? I know it can happen in meeting areas, and I know that dwarves can pass each other on a 1xn hallway, so sometimes it can, but they seem to usually travel in single file (perhaps to hide their numbers).

When dwarves pass each other in a thin hallway, it looks like there's a short delay. Am I imagining this or is it real?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2009, 11:48:08 am »

In order for two dwarves to be in the same tile, one has to lie down so the other can cross.  (Applies to all creatures, not just dwarves).  Lying down and getting up takes time, so it is more efficient to have wider corridors so they don't have to do this.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2009, 03:16:47 pm »

OK, thanks. I'll try it sometime.

Another question: when noise travels 4 tiles or 16 tiles or whatever, is that Euclidean distance (the intuitive distance: as measured by a ruler/tape measurer) or Manhattan distance (sum of the differences of the coordinates: how far it is if you only travel orthogonally)? Or something else?

N...
...?

If four tiles of noise are generated at N, will there be noise at "?"?

Noise radiates in a cube (that is, in x, y, AND z), so yes, there will be noise at "?".  "?" is actually only 3 tiles away, so there would be noise a further tile out.

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Noise
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 181