Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204029 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2009, 03:31:46 pm »

Yea, but conceptually (at least to me, graphics wise), the z-levels seem to be much bigger than just going horizontially. I mean, 8 tiles horizontially doesn't seem that far, right? So you could easily have bedrooms near the workshops but separated by several corridors, but 8 z-levels up or down seems like its much further than that. So, as a result, the noise radius ends up looking closer to a cylinder or rectangle than a cube. Its really a consequence of the abstract tile size.

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2009, 06:48:32 pm »

Quick one on architectural value, I got into the idea of engraving a little late so I'm fairly unaware of just how much value it adds, so, what would be more valuable in everyone's opinion, a room built of gold blocks, or a room smoothed and (masterfully) engraved out of limestone? Trying to entice some royalty and just tapped into a half dozen veins of gold ore deep underground.
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2009, 07:13:34 pm »

I don't have the numbers handy, but I'm pretty sure that decently-engraved smoothed limestone would be more valuable.  However, if you REALLY want to impress that noble for some odd reason, go put their room in the middle of a gold vein.  That'll be even better, because the floors will still be gold ore, even though they're mined out, and they can be engraved.  You would probably want to leave the gold ore in the wall of the room so that that part of the wall be engraved, too.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2009, 07:55:24 pm »

Toker, I would recommend digging out the full vein and then designating the room. Dwarves don't mind have rooms that aren't perfect squares/rectangles and the extra wall space you get from a fully dug out, smoothed and engraved vein of gold will boost the room into grand in an instant even if the engravings are lowest quality.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2009, 08:01:52 pm »

Quick one on architectural value, I got into the idea of engraving a little late so I'm fairly unaware of just how much value it adds, so, what would be more valuable in everyone's opinion, a room built of gold blocks, or a room smoothed and (masterfully) engraved out of limestone? Trying to entice some royalty and just tapped into a half dozen veins of gold ore deep underground.

From the wiki, an engraved flux surface has a value of 20 times the item quality, assuming I'm reading it correctly. A legendary+5 skill engraver has a 73.3% chance of making an exceptional (x5) engraving, and a 26.7% chance of a masterful (x12) engraving. This means that, overall, an engraved flux surface by such an engraver has an average value of 137.38. Gold (or steel, which has the same matvalue) blocks, as well as floors and walls constructed out of them, have a value of 150, so it's somewhat better to make a gold block room than an engraved flux one.

However, do note that there is no penalty to building gold block floors or walls over those unfortunate exceptional engravings, so if you don't care how the room looks to you you could just engrave the whole chamber, keep the 240-value masterful engravings, and then build nicer 150-value gold block floors over the 100-value exceptional engravings.

Though, as others have suggested, engraved gold floors and walls have a value of 300xquality, so the more of that you can take advantage of, the better. A pure native gold room engraved by a legend+5 averages 2060.7 per tile, so about 5 tiles is enough to make that room royal, even with plain stone no-quality furnishings.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2009, 08:08:00 pm »

5 tiles? Wow, that's pretty cool. I keep everyone in a giant obsidian bed/dining/office chamber and that's still only getting to grand. If only I had native gold in there are well.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2009, 12:29:36 am »

Pitchblende trade depot.

Should I do it?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2009, 01:28:14 am »

Pitchblende trade depot.

Should I do it?
So I know pitchblende is radioactive in real life, but will it adversely effect dwarves? Or is it just for awesome points?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 01:37:19 am by Hortun »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2009, 02:44:31 am »

I'm trying to cover my map with a crust of Obsidian. I have no problem with the magma, but I'm wondering how to get enough water to flood it: it'll flow over the edge leaving magma in the corners. Can you help me?

Also, my pumps are currently powered by a power plant on the river. If it flood with magma, will it stop?

And finally, if I give chain as well as plate mail to my soldiers, will it have any effect beside slowing them down?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 02:47:00 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2009, 05:55:34 am »

@Sheb:
You'll have to build pipes as close to the corners as possible for the water to reach them. Or build Walls around the rest of the map, so the water has to flow out over the corners.

Yes, the river will stop flowing when you turn it into massive obsidian via magma. One of the few points of DF that seem very logical  ;D If you pour magma on the edge tiles at the source, the river will stop forever and can't be started again, because you can't dig out the edge tiles. If you leave those tiles alone, you can restart it later, when you need it.
Anyway for a solution: Windmills or a floating perpetuum mobile generator. The former is almost realistic and needs a lot of space, the latter sounds very dwarfy and may be considered cheating by some people.

Different kinds of armor can and should be stacked. Works very nicely and the difference in speed is unnoticeable with superdwarfenly agile and strong champions. I only give my soldiers less then three layers of armor (leather, chain, plate) when I don't have enough metal or want to challenge myself.

@Hortun: No, a stone is stone is  stone currently. Doesn't matter if it's pitchblende or cinnabar, they're all the same and don't make people sick. You'll have to drown your elves the old fashioned way.
Though i do like exporting all the lovely lead toys and cups and other poisonous stuff to people I don't like, though poisonous minerals are not in the game yet. It's all about roleplaying ;)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2009, 12:59:49 pm »

Pitchblende trade depot.
Should I do it?
So I know pitchblende is radioactive in real life, but will it adversely effect dwarves? Or is it just for awesome points?

Harmless in DF, but I like the idea of polluting the brook and slowly giving the traders cancer.
Much like I export cinnabar mugs, instruments, crafts, toys, and querns. And will be using pitchblende for it when the dwarves bring more.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2009, 08:44:45 pm »

Got a small barrel problem, never have enough to brew drinks and I produce like a million of em, all seems to be full of plants, is there any way to handle my plants and do they reuse em?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2009, 08:47:33 pm »

Got a small barrel problem, never have enough to brew drinks and I produce like a million of em, all seems to be full of plants, is there any way to handle my plants and do they reuse em?

You can set the non-drink food stockpiles to accept fewer barrels. You DO keep seperate stockpiles for food (no drinks) and drinks (no food), yes?
Never pet a burning dog.

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2009, 04:34:54 am »

The King arrived last year (and I still didn't kill him, I'm so proud of my self-control!), but I still have a caravan "from the outer lands"!
I thought the Home Liaison stopped coming after the king arrived?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2009, 05:07:08 am »

The King arrived last year (and I still didn't kill him, I'm so proud of my self-control!), but I still have a caravan "from the outer lands"!
I thought the Home Liaison stopped coming after the king arrived?

The Liason stops, yes. The Caravans that you used to get always ran between you and Mountainhome... and now that you ARE Mountainhome, they run between you and the  outposts.
Never pet a burning dog.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 181