Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204543 times)

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2009, 02:03:35 am »

ahh ty.

This will surely make for some humerous stunts...
Now if i could only somhow match it so it looks like tennis...

Naturally the choices of a ball are; cats, elfs or goblins...

Now MORE questions...
How come my dwarfs are idiots and try to go CLEAN the MAGMA...

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

stolensteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2009, 03:19:51 am »

If I'm on a glacier map with an underground river, can I pump the water to the surface and get infinite ice?
-st

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2009, 03:26:39 am »

I was trying to place a chestnut finished goods bin in there.

Bins can't be built. You'll have to increase the value of the room some other way.

If I'm on a glacier map with an underground river, can I pump the water to the surface and get infinite ice?

If you do pump it, it won't get very far since the water will just freeze when it touches the outside. If you want infinite ice for, say, an ice tower, bucket brigades are far more practical. Just designate a pond zone where you want a fresh block of ice.

Now MORE questions...
How come my dwarfs are idiots and try to go CLEAN the MAGMA...

They're not trying to clean the magma. They're trying to clean the globs of molten rock that just so happen to have melted from the magma. Mass forbid any stones using d - b - f to prevent dwarves from doing that.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 29, 2009, 04:26:37 am »

They're not trying to clean the magma. They're trying to clean the globs of molten rock that just so happen to have melted from the magma. Mass forbid any stones using d - b - f to prevent dwarves from doing that.
Yeah thought it was something like that...
which brings up how in hell do they know its under there o.o.

Meh..

so, can you tell giant cave spider webs apart from normal spider webs? and to locate them do you have to like chuck a dwarf down a chasm or pit...

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2009, 05:15:20 am »

There's no visible way from the main game screen, but you can zoom in on them if your stocks are sufficiently accurate.

The big spider web that the GCS spins has to be revealed by a creature though.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2009, 03:09:53 pm »

Dorks are not picking up weapons, even thou I got some, any ideas why?

Melancholy Camel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 29, 2009, 03:36:10 pm »

So, i'm playing with the Relentless Assault mod, and i've been having some serious problems with my cats all running out of my fort to go do whatever it is cats do. I've got about seven doors between the main exit they use and the main part of my base that isn't barracks / traps / defenses. Is there any way to stop them besides making all the doors un-pet-passable and then checking it to make sure they don't run out when I do battle?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 29, 2009, 04:02:55 pm »

Dorks are not picking up weapons, even thou I got some, any ideas why?
Have you set them to use weapons? Only soldiers will use weapons normally, though dwarves with the Hunting labor enabled will as well, and woodcutters will carry battle axes. To set a dwarf's weapon preferences, use v, scroll to the dwarf, then use the (p)references menu and the (s)oldiering and hunting submenu. Or, use the (m)ilitary screen and the (w)eapons submenu.

The weapons might also be inaccessible, forbidden, marked for dumping, or marked for melting. Oh, and if you neglected to actually make your dwarves military, remember to activate them through the preferences menu or military screen.

So, i'm playing with the Relentless Assault mod, and i've been having some serious problems with my cats all running out of my fort to go do whatever it is cats do. I've got about seven doors between the main exit they use and the main part of my base that isn't barracks / traps / defenses. Is there any way to stop them besides making all the doors un-pet-passable and then checking it to make sure they don't run out when I do battle?
Destroy them all!  >:(

There really isn't a good way to do what you want. Making the doors pet-impassible should help, but it isn't 100% reliable since they can slip through when a dwarf does. I've heard that if you chain cats such that every tile in your fort is cat-accessible can clear out vermin without making them wander all over, but that requires stupidly large numbers of cats and ropes, so probably isn't a good idea.

The only other option I can think of is the one I suggested first: killing every cat in your fort. Hey, at least they won't run out of the fort to hunt vermin if they're meat  ;)
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Melancholy Camel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 29, 2009, 04:33:30 pm »

Hah, while killing my cats certainly is a viable option, I enjoy making their offspring into clothing and arrows for my soldiers. Not to mention they take care of what was otherwise a ridiculous amount of verming. Thanks though, I guess i'll give the door method a shot.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 29, 2009, 05:04:36 pm »

Just think of them as patroling sentries.

Kiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 29, 2009, 05:07:04 pm »

Not sure this is the right place for this kinds of question. Just since the adventure mode area is for discussion.
How do you get out of fast-travel in adventure mode?(besides finding a pack of wolfs)
The Dread Pirate

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 29, 2009, 05:26:59 pm »

">" is the default (shift-.)

Kiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 29, 2009, 05:37:51 pm »

Thanks
The Dread Pirate

Insignificant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 29, 2009, 06:16:49 pm »

Ok so I know you need haulers and stockpiles to put the hauled stuff.
I have to large vacant wood stockpiles and dwarves designated to solely haul wood there are logs from chopped trees all over yet none get put in a stockpile.
They moved wood plenty fine early on but stopped after around one year.
 WHAT GIVES ???

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 29, 2009, 06:27:47 pm »

Check for:
-stone/furniture taking up the available space in stockpiles
-"Dwarves gather wood" in the (o)rders menu is on
-unhauled lumber isn't designated forbidden or for dumping, "Dwarves Can Go Outdoors" in the orders menu

Also you've got idling dwarves with the wood hauling labor active, right?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 181