Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204654 times)

LemmingKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 28, 2009, 09:41:36 pm »

I am new to this game and so far am loving it, been playing for maybe less than 30 days using Mayday's compiled tileset pack (thanks to all who contributed to it, it's great) but I am confused on how to get my military dwarves to actually attack certain targets and not do what they feel like, any suggestions?

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2009, 09:48:11 pm »

You can't, really. You can tweak their preferences a little in the military menu, setting them to harass wildlife or not, chase creatures or not and so on. You can tell them to go to a spot through the (x) squad menu, with patrol routes and station points, but that's it for now.

In the next version, though, you'll be able to give kill orders on specific targets.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

LemmingKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 28, 2009, 09:53:27 pm »

Thanks a bundle, I will most likely tell them to "station" at a certain spot in the absence of a "kill" order.

stolensteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 28, 2009, 10:26:43 pm »

I am doing underground flooding for the first time, and have two questions.

Do I need to clear the rocks out of the area that I want tower-caps to grow? Or will they grow and just push the rocks away?

If I build farms and then need to expand, how will flooding effect my running farms? Should I deconstruct them before reflooding, or will they be fine?

[shamelessplug]Also, if anyone knows anything about the dark dwarves mod, I have quite a few questions in that thread as well.[/shamelessplug]
-st

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 28, 2009, 10:45:32 pm »

! Clear the rocks out. I hope you haven't flooded yet.

Rocks cause towercap saplings to stay saplings forever. They'll only mature if you remove the rocks. Also, stepping on the saplings and shrubs too many times kill them.

Put (d,o,r)estricted traffic designations on any growing saplings. Clear the shrubs with the plant gathering, the shrubs you don't want act like weeds. They'll stifle out tower cap growth, because there's a hard upper limit on the number of plants you can have.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

LemmingKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 28, 2009, 10:59:18 pm »

I am trying to find an underground river and I am digging right below the brook that is already on the map, I keep seeing wet points on the rocks but still no breaching a river, should I build up? (place a ramp)

stolensteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 28, 2009, 11:10:15 pm »

I don't think that underground rivers and brooks can be in the same general area. Meaning, it probably won't be directly underneath the brook. They are very difficult to find however, unless you use a reveal. Try looking in other areas around the map though.
-st

LemmingKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 28, 2009, 11:12:21 pm »

Okay thanks.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 29, 2009, 12:26:17 am »

Damn you magma... DAAAAMN YOOOOUU

But anyway...

is there any possible thing i can use instead of floodgates with bauxite mechanisms that i can use to block the path of magma ( i want to trap some so i can have magma reach my magma forges and such)
I cant trade for bauxite and im pretty sure there is no bauxite on this map.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

stolensteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 29, 2009, 12:30:10 am »

My recommendation would be to use this mod. It makes more rocks magma safe by setting their melting points to accurate real life values.

Other than that, you could use obsidian blockers. Have a way to drop water on magma to plug a hole, then channel it out later to let it flow again.
-st

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 29, 2009, 12:57:17 am »

Hey guys. New to the game, and I'm loving it a lot. One of the things I've been wondering about is the thing about nobles and placing stuff inside their room. One of the things I've been trying to do is placing an artifact (or any other high value item) in their room. I've looked under designations, build, etc. No clue what to do.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 29, 2009, 12:58:53 am »

If the artifact is a piece of furniture, you can place it in their room. If it's a craft, or a weapon, or something like that, it can't be placed in their room.

What are you trying to put in there?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 29, 2009, 01:13:19 am »

I was trying to place a chestnut finished goods bin in there.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 29, 2009, 01:18:00 am »

Soooo....
Someone explain to me so i can understand...

Bridges

What is raise and retract.

What happens if i set it to raise...

What happens if i set it to retract (anyway)

Ive read the wiki and still cant make sense out of it...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

stolensteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 29, 2009, 01:31:27 am »

Retracts: When the bridge is retracted, everything that was on it falls. When it extends back, it is crossable again.

Raises: When a bridge is raised, everything on it flies in the direction that it is raised (often to humorous results). While it is raised, it forms an impassible wall on the edge where it raised (so a bridge that raises north creates a wall on its north edge). When it comes back down, anything that is where it is supposed to be is destroyed completely and instantly. The same might also happen for retracting bridges, I've not actually tested it.
-st
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 181